Gibson Brands Forums

Government Series Les Paul, real?

vangoghsear

I started looking too late for my Gov't series LP and all the authorized dealers appeared to be sold out. So I bought one on Ebay. The seller had all positive ratings and had sold a few Gibsons, so I thought I'd take a chance. It looks real accurate to me. It came with all the documentation including the COA in a Gibson box that had, however, been previously opened. The box said it had come to the seller from Musician's Friend, who is an authorized seller.

I've attached some photos of the guitar including the controls compartment.

It cost a bit more than they were selling in the stores and I know there's no warranty, but is it legit?

post-54796-050419200 1364598594_thumb.jpg

post-54796-023032800 1364598661_thumb.jpg

Looks real too me

I bought my Government explorer and it did not come in a Gibson box from MF.

I knew that the guitar had too be new since it was about 3 weeks old when I received it..JT

Thanks for the reply. He put black magic marker over his name and MF's name and address and added a new shipping label addressed to me, but I could read the old label through the marker. Seemed pretty likely he picked one or two up to make a quick few bucks.

I hear the Explorers are a really well balanced guitar. Enjoy it!

I guess you bought one of the few he had on Ebay that was about $100 or so above.

Still not a bad price on a guitar that is not around anymore.

The gray it a hot color

I love the Dirtyfinger pickups

Real Roasewood not Baked Maple

The limited green case

and the COA

what more can we ask for?..Good luck with a good purchase......JT

I guess you bought one of the few he had on Ebay that was about $100 or so above.

Still not a bad price on a guitar that is not around anymore.

The gray it a hot color

I love the Dirtyfinger pickups

Real Roasewood not Baked Maple

The limited green case

and the COA

what more can we ask for?..Good luck with a good purchase......JT

Yeah. It was a bit more than I hoped to pay, but it was a piece of guitar history and it was a Les Paul. I figure it was still a good enough price. I told myself if it was still for sale a few days after I saw it, I would buy it.

I also like the pickups and I think the grey color looks really cool with the black hardware.

So what are these Government guitars? I haven't seen these before what is unique about them? My first thought is that they were made from the wood that confiscated by Obama.

Hi Sillennium,

The Government Series is a limited edition, 300 LP's, 300 SG's (?), 100 Explorers, 100 Flying V's (I'm pretty sure of the quantities, but not 100% sure) made using some wood returned from the government. They are government gunmetal grey, and solid confiscated/returned rosewood fretboard(here's the joke) made with, "Wood confiscated by the government with dirty fingers" pickups. They come with a COA and a green HS case. I wrote to Gibson asking why they weren't on the website. They told me that they aren't on the website because they were made in such limited numbers.

They are basically a studio guitar with Dirty Fingers+ pickups and a green case.

Hi EADES,

I'd have to say satin lacquer finish. I like the finish it's very well applied and feels good when playing it (the back of the neck is finished in it as well).

What makes the Explorer and the Flying V a Studio???

Seems that the Flying V and the Explorer are the same as the higher priced ones.

I felt it was well worth it even though I don't play it much.

What can you ask for with the Green Case,Dirty Fingers Real Rosewood(Not Baked Maple}

and a COA plus a nice gray color and a very sweet $799 New,

Plus this guitar really does rock more then my 2012 SG61 RI in Satin Ebony.................JT

• 8 months later...

Hi guys, [smile] , Here`s mine "Government! V ,I just got i yesterday..It came in a standard black USA V-case with white lining, came with an authencity-letter signed by Gibson,and (..and also a short story about the raid,and how these became the "Government series") ..and also included with some of the usual Gibson case-candy!

-This V IS a sort of faded version, not glossy, But dang, the tan-finish looks really cool & mean at the same time! [love] . A very beautyful V-model I would really say! [drool]

-The setup came impressively well, very slinky and a snappy player, the neck-profile is slightly smaller/faster than my regular 68 Reissue cherry! =D> Very straight,fast and nice neck, I really agree, on a V, that Rosewood is a much nicer wood for playability & a more smooth feel, than the Granadillo fretboard! [thumbup]

-Comes with "Dirty Fingers" pickups and Grover tuners, The "Dirty Fingers" sounds hot, yet very clean, I actually like these MUCH better than the 500-T/496R combo! (which I really find hard to tweak/control unless you play full volume & tone,and high gain-stuff all the time.) ..It has an EXCELLENT Gibson-tone for metal, and ALOT more versatile than the 500-T/496R combo.

-The finish on my V is called "Tan" , I think it is pretty much rare. This is the only "Tan" model in Norway (I was told so by the retailer) ! [smile]

Cheers :)

post-60598-006501200 1386500104_thumb.jpg

post-60598-060247500 1386500112_thumb.jpg

Hi guys, [smile] , Here`s mine "Government! V ,I just got i yesterday..It came in a standard black USA V-case with white lining, came with an authencity-letter signed by Gibson,and (..and also a short story about the raid,and how these became the "Government series") ..and also included with some of the usual Gibson case-candy!....

-The finish on my V is called "Tan" , I think it is pretty much rare. This is the only "Tan" model in Norway (I was told so by the retailer) ! [smile]

Cheers :)

Very nice V. I think the tan ones with the black cases are the Government Series II. I don't think there are many of either series. Nice guitars.

Archived