Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500MCE

Isakale

I've got mine in VS 1 year ago. I really love it. IMO for the price, it's by far the best guitar you can find. Sometimes, i go to my local store to try some more expensive guitar. Can't justify spending $1500 - $2500 more, the DR-500MCE is to close from them. I am planning to get another one in natural finish. Or maybe go for an EF-500RCCE.

I've got mine in VS 1 year ago. I really love it. IMO for the price, it's by far the best guitar you can find. Sometimes, i go to my local store to try some more expensive guitar. Can't justify spending $1500 - $2500 more, the DR-500MCE is to close from them. I am planning to get another one in natural finish. Or maybe go for an EF-500RCCE.

I love my DR-500mce v/s What a bargain. What wonderful tone. And all solid wood. I have mine about a year. Never needed set up. Played perfect out of the box. Yes it is too good to be true! ....But it IS true!!!

I love mine. The action was very low stock and it plays easier than the Seagull I traded in for it. I've played around with the pups a little, but need a multichannel amp to really get the benefit.

Thanks! I know nothing about pickups, but is that how this guy used 2 cables for both pickups on his guitar at about 2:20 in this video?

With a multichannel amp and 2 guitar cables?

Have any idea how he did this?

Awesome! Very excited!!! I ordered one today and cannot wait for it to arrive!!!

• 2 weeks later...

It's an amazing guitar. Wonderful tone, wonderful look... You will fall in love immediately...

Here a picture of my DR500mce in natural finish...

4.jpg

Regards,

Roberto...you are correct! Falling in love with THIS guitar is as easy as breathing air. And yours looks like a fine specimen. I have one of these in the sunburst color. The hum and the tone and the rich sound and quality fell...well, facts be told, I have a $3500 martin J-40 and I prefer my Masterbilt DR-500mce over it. For those who do not have one of these babies...you just can't imagine what your missing for the price point. Thanks for the pics..they are great!

• 5 months later...

I have one on order but it wont be in till November. Can't wait for it to come in. These things are on a high demand.

Yes these are in high demand and may soon be impossible to get if they reach the fate of other masterbilts.....so it is good you get one while you still can. In this day and age, to get an all solid Mahogany premium acoustic electric with solid spruce top and electric pick up with built in tuner for $599....well, that just won't last forever. Grab it. Get it set up if need be..it will be worth the set up cost. I've never heard such a sweet buttery resonant rich sounding guitar as this one..ever. Let us know how it goes. Not till November! Oh I'd be going, pardon the pun, ...Gaga! ...waiting for it to arrive! lol!

There have been some questions about the pickup systems on the two pup versions of Masterbilts, but I've had no problems with mine.

Oddly a PR4e- less expensive Epi - buyer in another thread noted a problem he had with his and Shadow told him it was a matter of a piece of tape around the connection to the under bridge pickup assembly. A piece of tape?

The Epi Masterbilt line may be one of the best bargains around in an AE or acoustic even if the electronics bomb.

But I'm with one or two guys above - one doesn't know if any will be available when current stocks in stores are gone.

m

Yes these are in high demand and may soon be impossible to get if they reach the fate of other masterbilts.....so it is good you get one while you still can. In this day and age, to get an all solid Mahogany premium acoustic electric with solid spruce top and electric pick up with built in tuner for $599....well, that just won't last forever. Grab it. Get it set up if need be..it will be worth the set up cost. I've never heard such a sweet buttery resonant rich sounding guitar as this one..ever. Let us know how it goes. Not till November! Oh I'd be going, pardon the pun, ...Gaga! ...waiting for it to arrive! lol!

Thanks for the comment Guitarlight, I knew they were sweet.I have a order in at Sweetwater. They have a shipment coming in soon but not enough to fill my order. I have to wait. BUMMER!!! Their next shipment is November. So it looks like a early Christmas present for me. Form everything I have read and heard about the Masterbilt line I have to get one. I have 3 Epis already. I'm a Epi fan for sure. I got my old Acoustic out awhile back and didn't like the sound anymore so started researching. I found out my favorite Guitar player (Alex Lifeson) played one. So I knew they had to be good quality.

• 3 weeks later...

I got a call yesterday from Sweetwater. Epiphone is have issues with the next shipment of them. So I canceled my order and ordered one from GC. It is in transit as of today. Hopefully (fingers crossed) it will be in today.

That was a good move. Rumor has it that the wonderful Masterbilt DR500MCE may be discontinued like all the others Masterbilts, and could be why they are all on hold at various reputable retailers, but as usual Epiphone has not verified it. Generally their models...usually their best models... just vanish without warning, never to be seen again. Sad policy but continuous for Gibson and Epiphone. Buying a DR500MCE that is still in stock like you did is probably a wise move, just in case Epiphone has once again abandoned Masterbilt like they did with Elite series too. Do have the Guitar Center set up your DR500MCE if you are lucky enough to get one. These guitars match Martin, and Gibson both...with one exception, the Masterbilt models are probably better sounding than Martin and Gibson at 1/5 the price.. Probably why Masterbilts, like the Elite series were put to pasture.

Congratulations! Very smart move on your part! That sure is a beauty! Very nice wood on top and it must sound great! That is a keeper! ...they get even better after a month or so of playing so they loosen up....I'm wondering if I should get another one! I already have a DR500MCE V/S so I don't really need another..but where you gonna get Martin and Gibson quality and tone, and all solid wood and bone nut and saddle for like $500?? Heck I could buy 4 or 5 of these solid wood Masterbilts and use them for life and pay less for the 5 Masterbilts than I paid for just one of my Martins...!

Congratulations! Very smart move on your part! That sure is a beauty! Very nice wood on top and it must sound great! That is a keeper! ...they get even better after a month or so of playing so they loosen up....I'm wondering if I should get another one! I already have a DR500MCE V/S so I don't really need another..but where you gonna get Martin and Gibson quality and tone, and all solid wood and bone nut and saddle for like $500?? Heck I could buy 4 or 5 of these solid wood Masterbilts and use them for life and pay less for the 5 Masterbilts than I paid for just one of my Martins...!

Something I had seen on these was that the bridge was not a compensated bridge but this one is. It has low action and is also been plek'd. It is definitely a keeper.

• 1 month later...

Archived