Gibson Brands Forums: BluesHawk Club - Gibson Brands Forums

Jump to content

  • (7 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BluesHawk Club Post photos and share info on Gibson's various Hawks.

#81 User is offline   NighthawkChris 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 425
  • Joined: 17-July 17

Posted 30 October 2017 - 01:18 PM

View PostdReit1, on 30 October 2017 - 10:35 AM, said:

Check under the hay stack. There should be one in between the needle and the hen's teeth. [biggrin]


Yeah, it is truly a rare guitar. If you come across this, throw the money down! Last time I saw one available was on "The Verb" going for around $1.5k... I have had aspirations for other guitars at the time, but before it was too late, the Little Lucille sold. Not that I had any intention of buying this guitar as I have never played one before... Just to note it seems like quite a collector's gem if you ask me - especially for a Blueshawk aficionado.
0

#82 User is offline   dReit1 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 361
  • Joined: 09-August 08

Posted 31 October 2017 - 10:22 AM

The Little Lucilles where hard to find even when the Blueshawk was a shelf item. I had one for a short time but foolishly let it slip away. I called the guy I sold/traded it to yesterday and was told bluntly "No f..n way!" Seems he has it in a glassed in wall case and never plays it. [cursing]
0

#83 User is offline   NighthawkChris 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 425
  • Joined: 17-July 17

Posted 31 October 2017 - 11:14 AM

View PostdReit1, on 31 October 2017 - 10:22 AM, said:

The Little Lucilles where hard to find even when the Blueshawk was a shelf item. I had one for a short time but foolishly let it slip away. I called the guy I sold/traded it to yesterday and was told bluntly "No f..n way!" Seems he has it in a glassed in wall case and never plays it. [cursing]


Yeah, that's a true kick in the junk man... I send my sympathy to you... Well, hopefully you run into one and make the purchase last. Just reading your post makes me feel the despair you might be feeling when you think back. In that sense, I suppose there is some sort of empathy I feel for your situation.
0

#84 User is offline   dReit1 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 361
  • Joined: 09-August 08

Posted 01 November 2017 - 11:00 AM

Ha Ha! Don't feel bad for me Chris. I only called him because you were looking. I went through 6 Blueshawks and the Lucy back in 2005-06. I liked them but had trouble finding a keeper. That Lucille wasn't a great guitar. It was Ok, but lacked that little something that makes the difference between a joy to play and a nice piece to hang on the wall. I guess we all have our own things that make the magic happen. Tone. Feel. Looks. Whatever trips the trigger.
That Lucille didn't do it for me. And I guess for him either as he put it in a wall case and just looks at it. [unsure]

IIRC The big thing that sent that Little Lucille on it's way was me having access to a real Lucille. The Little one just didn't cover the sound. I don't know if it was the pickups, the body wood or it's size, but it wasn't what I was looking for. So it left. And while I kept looking for a Blueshawk until I found the one I kept, I never really went after a Little Lucy again.

If I was wanting one now, I think I would buy one of the new EPI BHs and create a Lucille from that. The mahogany body might make a difference. You can find the Varitone switch and other parts. After looking at the new Lucilles with the Granadillo/richlite board and 490/498 pups I think that train has left the station for me.

But if I run across a nice older one...

Cheers. Doug
0

#85 User is offline   NighthawkChris 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 425
  • Joined: 17-July 17

Posted 02 November 2017 - 05:12 AM

View PostdReit1, on 01 November 2017 - 11:00 AM, said:

Ha Ha! Don't feel bad for me Chris. I only called him because you were looking. I went through 6 Blueshawks and the Lucy back in 2005-06. I liked them but had trouble finding a keeper. That Lucille wasn't a great guitar. It was Ok, but lacked that little something that makes the difference between a joy to play and a nice piece to hang on the wall. I guess we all have our own things that make the magic happen. Tone. Feel. Looks. Whatever trips the trigger.
That Lucille didn't do it for me. And I guess for him either as he put it in a wall case and just looks at it. [unsure]

IIRC The big thing that sent that Little Lucille on it's way was me having access to a real Lucille. The Little one just didn't cover the sound. I don't know if it was the pickups, the body wood or it's size, but it wasn't what I was looking for. So it left. And while I kept looking for a Blueshawk until I found the one I kept, I never really went after a Little Lucy again.

If I was wanting one now, I think I would buy one of the new EPI BHs and create a Lucille from that. The mahogany body might make a difference. You can find the Varitone switch and other parts. After looking at the new Lucilles with the Granadillo/richlite board and 490/498 pups I think that train has left the station for me.

But if I run across a nice older one...

Cheers. Doug


Thanks for looking out Doug! A guy at the local guitar shop knows how much of a NH enthusiast I am, so he mentioned the Little Lucille should be another guitar I should add to my collection. So I was curious and noticed how rare this thing actually was... Anyhow, I sincerely appreciate the thoughtfulness and insight about this guitar on your behalf. I hope your "real" Lucille is doing alright Posted Image
0

#86 User is offline   mihcmac 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 321
  • Joined: 13-December 17
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:15 PM

Gibson BluesHawks and Epiphone Blueshawks.. About a year ago I bought a blue sapphire Epiphone Blueshawk. I was looking for a Gibson, but they were ranging in price from 700 to 1500 plus shipping.. Anyway I finally found a black 97 G-BH about a month ago with a hardcase and free shipping.. I have been really enjoying playing it and comparing it to my E-Bh. I love playing both of them and have great difficulty deciding which one to play, they sound great.

The E-Bh is not an exact copy of the G-BH but very close.

The E-Bh is a little heavier with a slightly wider neck with binding.

I have both guitars pickups setup for max volume (as close as possible to the strings) the E-Bh (P-90 Pro with adjustable poles) is a bit louder but the G-BH (Blues 90 with fixed poles) is a little brighter.

The E-Bh bridge plate is slightly thicker and wider.

The E-Bh 3-way switch clicks when in position and has kind of dead spots in between, the G-BH 3-way switch is much smoother.

The VariTone switch feels and reacts about the same.

The hum cancelling seems to work a little Better on the E-Bh.

The volume and tone pots look almost identical.

The Epiphone Deluxe Tuners wore out after about 6 months, I replaced them with Grover 135N's that are very similar but with nut bushings. They should have installed the Wilkinson tuners like on the other high end Epi's..

The Gibson Deluxe Tuners are very solid on the G-BH.

The E-Bh string nut was defective, the string slots high end next to the headstock not the finger board causing the plain strings to buzz. Replaced..

I have both the recomended Gibson and Epiphone SG hardshell cases, the Epiphone SG hardshell case fits very loose, the Gibson Deluxe SG hardshell case fits both much better. .... I also have a Gibson Chainsaw Case for a Les Paul, which fits both BluesHawks perfectly.

I am not so much a blues player as I mostly play metal.. These P-90's absolutely scream through a 1/2 stack.. Definite ear damage with a full stack. Even my Deluxe with a Celestion would do a lot of carnage if it wasn't aimed at my ankles. I have several guitars all with P-90's, the sound they get is like a really nasty Strat. I prefer the double cut configuration.. But, having to work a little harder for the high notes on a BluesHawk/Blueshawk is not a problem, balanced out by the tonal expansion and the lower noise aided by the hum canceling dummy coil.

I really love playing my BluesHawk's and I could not part with either one.. [thumbup]

Attached File(s)


This post has been edited by mihcmac: 11 January 2018 - 03:51 PM

P-90's Rule.... Posted Image But not for everyone...
1

#87 User is offline   mihcmac 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 321
  • Joined: 13-December 17
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 18 January 2018 - 02:02 PM

The Gibson Chainsaw Case for a Les Paul is the best fitting case I have found so far for the BluesHawk. If you can see my attached image, the inside of the case lower and mid bouts are connected which fits the BluesHawk perfectly, without following the Les Paul contour.. Gibson seemed to call it the Protector or Protector Plus, but it looks like a chainsaw case so that's what most people call it... Gibson has not made this case for several years, so the only ones you can find are used, but its a very tough case and my BuesHawks love it..

[thumbup]

If anyone knows of another hardshell case that actually fits the Hawk, BluesHawk, NightHawk or even the Little Lucille. Please leave a response here..

[confused]

Attached File(s)


This post has been edited by mihcmac: 18 January 2018 - 11:57 PM

P-90's Rule.... Posted Image But not for everyone...
0

#88 User is offline   mihcmac 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 321
  • Joined: 13-December 17
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 27 January 2018 - 03:40 PM

For me, the Epiphone Blueshawk is a viable replacement or even possibly an upgrade to the Gibson BluesHawk..

back to the Epiphone Blueshawk post.




Posted Image

This post has been edited by mihcmac: 27 January 2018 - 03:56 PM

P-90's Rule.... Posted Image But not for everyone...
0

#89 User is offline   Megafrog 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 966
  • Joined: 17-November 16
  • LocationSouthern Pennsylvania

Posted 27 January 2018 - 11:54 PM

View Postmihcmac, on 27 January 2018 - 03:40 PM, said:

For me, the Epiphone Blueshawk is a viable replacement or even possibly an upgrade to the Gibson BluesHawk..

back to the Epiphone Blueshawk post.




Posted Image


I found the Epiphone Blueshawk to be very much a downgrade from a real Gibson one. The electronics on the Gibson are superior and the addition of dead coils in the pickups helps with the 60 second hum. The Epi doesn’t feel anywhere close quality wise to me.
Equipment:
I have guitars, amps, pedals, cables, various other things and a strong affinity for short signature lines. . .
0

#90 User is offline   mihcmac 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 321
  • Joined: 13-December 17
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 28 January 2018 - 01:26 PM

View PostMegafrog, on 27 January 2018 - 11:54 PM, said:

I found the Epiphone Blueshawk to be very much a downgrade from a real Gibson one. The electronics on the Gibson are superior and the addition of dead coils in the pickups helps with the 60 second hum. The Epi doesn't feel anywhere close quality wise to me.

I have examined the electronics very closely and found the main difference between them being a different type of rotary switch, which has a slightly different IC connected to it. The other components, caps pots 3-way switch, are Identical with the same values but Asian made. The Gibson 3-way is smoother while the Epi switch clicks. The hum cancelling dummy coil is very similar and wired in the same way. The line noise (60 cycle) is less on my Epi particularly when I punch in my over drives. The sound is similar but the Gibson (Blues 90 with fixed poles) is a little brighter and the Epi (P-90 Pro with adjustable poles) is louder. Take into consideration that I am comparing a 20 year old Gibson to a new Epiphone and the differences are minute. If I had to give up one them it would be a very difficult decision, I want to play both of them. These statements are not absolute and are based on my personal preferences, once the Epi is setup correctly it is a viable option. The quality on the build of the Gibson BluesHawk is definitely higher, if the Epiphone Blueshawk went through a signature or custom shop it might help. The main weakness being the cheap Epiphone Deluxe tuners, once they are replaced it makes a world of difference in the guitar.
:)

This post has been edited by mihcmac: 28 January 2018 - 02:56 PM

P-90's Rule.... Posted Image But not for everyone...
0

#91 User is offline   Vestapol 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 194
  • Joined: 17-November 10
  • LocationCashiers, NC and Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Posted 28 January 2018 - 04:35 PM

View Postmihcmac, on 11 January 2018 - 02:15 PM, said:

Gibson BluesHawks and Epiphone Blueshawks.. About a year ago I bought a blue sapphire Epiphone Blueshawk. I was looking for a Gibson, but they were ranging in price from 700 to 1500 plus shipping.. Anyway I finally found a black 97 G-BH about a month ago with a hardcase and free shipping.. I have been really enjoying playing it and comparing it to my E-Bh. I love playing both of them and have great difficulty deciding which one to play, they sound great.

The E-Bh is not an exact copy of the G-BH but very close.

The E-Bh is a little heavier with a slightly wider neck with binding.

I have both guitars pickups setup for max volume (as close as possible to the strings) the E-Bh (P-90 Pro with adjustable poles) is a bit louder but the G-BH (Blues 90 with fixed poles) is a little brighter.

The E-Bh bridge plate is slightly thicker and wider.

The E-Bh 3-way switch clicks when in position and has kind of dead spots in between, the G-BH 3-way switch is much smoother.

The VariTone switch feels and reacts about the same.

The hum cancelling seems to work a little Better on the E-Bh.

The volume and tone pots look almost identical.

The Epiphone Deluxe Tuners wore out after about 6 months, I replaced them with Grover 135N's that are very similar but with nut bushings. They should have installed the Wilkinson tuners like on the other high end Epi's..

The Gibson Deluxe Tuners are very solid on the G-BH.

The E-Bh string nut was defective, the string slots high end next to the headstock not the finger board causing the plain strings to buzz. Replaced..

I have both the recomended Gibson and Epiphone SG hardshell cases, the Epiphone SG hardshell case fits very loose, the Gibson Deluxe SG hardshell case fits both much better. .... I also have a Gibson Chainsaw Case for a Les Paul, which fits both BluesHawks perfectly.

I am not so much a blues player as I mostly play metal.. These P-90's absolutely scream through a 1/2 stack.. Definite ear damage with a full stack. Even my Deluxe with a Celestion would do a lot of carnage if it wasn't aimed at my ankles. I have several guitars all with P-90's, the sound they get is like a really nasty Strat. I prefer the double cut configuration.. But, having to work a little harder for the high notes on a BluesHawk/Blueshawk is not a problem, balanced out by the tonal expansion and the lower noise aided by the hum canceling dummy coil.

I really love playing my BluesHawk's and I could not part with either one.. [thumbup]


Just found your review and want to thank you, mihcmac. It's very helpful, specific, and reassuring to know the Epiphone BluesHawk is so good.

Cheers,

Doug in Atlanta
Doug
0

#92 User is offline   mihcmac 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 321
  • Joined: 13-December 17
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 29 January 2018 - 02:03 PM

View PostVestapol, on 28 January 2018 - 04:35 PM, said:

Just found your review and want to thank you, mihcmac. It's very helpful, specific, and reassuring to know the Epiphone BluesHawk is so good.

Cheers,

Doug in Atlanta


I got on the Gibson BluesHawk train about 10 years after it was out of production. I was looking for something like a 61 style SG special with P-90s. Having difficulty finding what I was looking for, I thought, why am I looking for a retro guitar with P-90s. There must be a more modern design out there that has made advancements in the use of P-90s. I stumbled on to the BluesHawks and found the hum cancelling dummy coil to be very intriguing topped off by the Varitone Lucille switch. I started looking for a BluesHawk and wasn't sure if I wanted to invest in a guitar I hadn't played, heard of anyone playing one or seen one in a music store here on the Big Island. Also distressed that I had missed production by 10 years. Then I found the Epiphone's and they were moderately priced by comparison. Anyway, when I got my Epiphone Blueshawk I startred comparing it to my other P-90 guitars and it was, noise wise, much quieter. The Epiphone made me dissatisfied with them, leading me to modding the neck pickups (flipping the coil reversing the polarity) on my Lp's and Sg's, so that center position on the switch would have hum cancelling. The result of this has been very pleasing and made me wonder why Gibson doesn't do it more often. I eventually found a Gibson BluesHawk with the right price and I just had to have it...... I often have both the Epi and Gibson plugged in at the same time so I can easily switch back and forth...

John in Hawaii

This post has been edited by mihcmac: 29 January 2018 - 07:51 PM

P-90's Rule.... Posted Image But not for everyone...
0

#93 User is offline   mihcmac 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 321
  • Joined: 13-December 17
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 22 February 2018 - 02:17 PM

BluesHawk/Blueshawk update..

The last few months here in Hawaii have been very humid. My 20 year old Gibson BluesHawk is starting to show fractures in the Nitrocellulose finish particularly around the F holes. They may have already been there but not so prevalent.

The Epiphone Blueshawk with its Polyurethane (I think) finish is doing just fine.



P-90's Rule.... Posted Image But not for everyone...
0

#94 User is offline   Sho191 

  • Newbie
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: 14-September 14

Posted 19 May 2018 - 08:14 AM

I have a black 2005 Gibson Blueshawk which just arrived. Do any of you know the radius on these?
0

#95 User is offline   Revolution Six 

  • Only a Gibson !
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 617
  • Joined: 07-December 16

Posted 20 May 2018 - 03:56 AM

View Postmihcmac, on 27 January 2018 - 03:40 PM, said:

For me, the Epiphone Blueshawk is a viable replacement to the Gibson BluesHawk..

Posted Image



OMG ... [biggrin]


For me, the Epiphone Blueshawk is a poor chinese copy of the Gibson BluesHawk..
Posted Image
0

#96 User is offline   Revolution Six 

  • Only a Gibson !
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 617
  • Joined: 07-December 16

Posted 20 May 2018 - 03:59 AM

View PostHEADKNOCKER, on 15 April 2015 - 09:32 PM, said:

Looks like I need to Join The Blueshawk/Nighthawk Club...
You guys that can't get your Hawks setup right must just not have learned how too yet?
I've got .010"s on the Blueshawk & it's action is very low with zero buzz & the tone is just astounding , I've got very little relief in the necks of either one of these guitars, BTW the Nighthawk has .009"s on it..

Bringing an old thread back from the dead as the Blueshawk will be reissued soon enough.. 25th Year Coming Up!!

Posted Image



Beauties, congrats !

[thumbup]
Posted Image
0

#97 User is offline   Wild Bill 212 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 135
  • Joined: 07-June 16
  • LocationN E USA/S E ASIA

Posted 20 May 2018 - 11:12 AM

My 1994 NIGHTHWK STANDARD ST-3 Pick-Up Model was my #1 player from 2003 until 2015 when it need a bunch of work. Just recently I had the NECK Over-Hauled. Sanded, Re-Planed, Re-Slotted, New Abalone In-Lays installed, new Bass & Treble BINDINGS installed, New Custom Bone Nut was installed (original was plastic, UGH !) the Tuning Machine's were tightened and Lubed, the back of the NECK was 'BLED', Waxed then Buffed and now the NECK feels smooth as new, even though the wear marks are clearly visible....my NIGHTHAWK is back-in-action and the Luthier's at SWEETWATER Guitar Repair facility in Fort Wayne, Indiana are to thank.

I have had such problems up-loading a picture, this time it should work: NOPE, this is unbelievable...I compressed the photo and did everything I could think of, J-Peg to PDF file ,Compression and none of it worked. TOO BAD TOO, my NIGHTHAWK was repaired really well, and will be looking for a new home, seeing is believing what a good job was done.

This post has been edited by Wild Bill 212: 20 May 2018 - 11:15 AM

0

#98 User is offline   mihcmac 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 321
  • Joined: 13-December 17
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:47 PM

I have been really enjoying my Gibson BluesHawk for the last few days, its a wonderful guitar. Similar in design to a LP, but way lighter and easier to play than my LP Standard. Too bad the 20 year old dried out finish couldn't handle the humidity here on the Island. The Nitrocellulose finish started cracking and flaking following the grain. I was able to get the finish checking stabilized using a little bit of linseed oil. My Epiphone Blueshawk with its Polyurethane finish still looks beautiful. I love playing both of my BluesHawk/Blueshawk's, but I must mention the noise reduction on the Epi seems to work better. Too bad Gibson stopped making them, I would have loved to have a new one. But at least Epiphone is still making them and once they are setup correctly, they are wonderful... :)

Posted Image

View PostWild Bill 212, on 20 May 2018 - 11:12 AM, said:

My 1994 NIGHTHWK STANDARD ST-3 Pick-Up Model was my #1 player from 2003 until 2015 when it need a bunch of work. Just recently I had the NECK Over-Hauled. Sanded, Re-Planed, Re-Slotted, New Abalone In-Lays installed, new Bass & Treble BINDINGS installed, New Custom Bone Nut was installed (original was plastic, UGH !) the Tuning Machine's were tightened and Lubed, the back of the NECK was 'BLED', Waxed then Buffed and now the NECK feels smooth as new, even though the wear marks are clearly visible....my NIGHTHAWK is back-in-action and the Luthier's at SWEETWATER Guitar Repair facility in Fort Wayne, Indiana are to thank.

I have had such problems up-loading a picture, this time it should work: NOPE, this is unbelievable...I compressed the photo and did everything I could think of, J-Peg to PDF file ,Compression and none of it worked. TOO BAD TOO, my NIGHTHAWK was repaired really well, and will be looking for a new home, seeing is believing what a good job was done.

Wild Bill 212, would love to see your NightHawk... With the high quality image upload you are trying to do, you have to use an Image hosting WEB site to share your images here.. Something like https://imgur.com/ or https://www.flickr.com/ or http://www.freeimagehosting.net/

This post has been edited by mihcmac: 01 June 2018 - 06:31 PM

P-90's Rule.... Posted Image But not for everyone...
0

#99 User is offline   Wild Bill 212 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 135
  • Joined: 07-June 16
  • LocationN E USA/S E ASIA

Posted 02 June 2018 - 12:03 PM

View Postmihcmac, on 01 June 2018 - 12:47 PM, said:

I have been really enjoying my Gibson BluesHawk for the last few days, its a wonderful guitar. Similar in design to a LP, but way lighter and easier to play than my LP Standard. Too bad the 20 year old dried out finish couldn't handle the humidity here on the Island. The Nitrocellulose finish started cracking and flaking following the grain. I was able to get the finish checking stabilized using a little bit of linseed oil. My Epiphone Blueshawk with its Polyurethane finish still looks beautiful. I love playing both of my BluesHawk/Blueshawk's, but I must mention the noise reduction on the Epi seems to work better. Too bad Gibson stopped making them, I would have loved to have a new one. But at least Epiphone is still making them and once they are setup correctly, they are wonderful... :)

Posted Image


Wild Bill 212, would love to see your NightHawk... With the high quality image upload you are trying to do, you have to use an Image hosting WEB site to share your images here.. Something like https://imgur.com/ or https://www.flickr.com/ or http://www.freeimagehosting.net/


'I C...', said the Blind Guy !! I will get to steppin on that, post a pic shortly ! BTW, THANK YOU, it has beyond frustrating to post a picture on this web-site !
1

#100 User is offline   mihcmac 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 321
  • Joined: 13-December 17
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 03 June 2018 - 09:34 PM

View PostWild Bill 212, on 02 June 2018 - 12:03 PM, said:

'I C...', said the Blind Guy !! I will get to steppin on that, post a pic shortly ! BTW, THANK YOU, it has beyond frustrating to post a picture on this web-site !


Image file uploads to this forum are limited to 500K total. But if you use the insert image function that uses a URL there is no size limit.

This post has been edited by mihcmac: 04 June 2018 - 01:32 PM

P-90's Rule.... Posted Image But not for everyone...
0

Share this topic:


  • (7 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users