Gibson Brands Forums

lap steel

hey hoping i might get some support here. I am thinking about picking up a 1953 gibson 6 string lap steel with original case. I am not a lap steel player but am interested in learning. My question is is 550.00 a fair asking price. It is in good condition given its vintage and the tone sounds really nice given my lack of knowledge of these instruments. Seems fair to me but i dont know too much about market value and resale on these things. I would hate to spend the money nad find its not really for me and then be stuck trying to unload it>>. any comments would be helpful

A quick look at e-bay "sold listings" does not seem to support that price, UNLESS it's one of the Korina ones.

The Gibson lap steels made of Korina do carry a premium in value and market demand.

A quick look at e-bay "sold listings" does not seem to support that price, UNLESS it's one of the Korina ones.

The Gibson lap steels made of Korina do carry a premium in value and market demand.

thanks larry

As stated...perhaps let this one pass unless totally smitten... [biggrin]

IMX there are some dirt cheap lap/hawaiian guitars around which are huge fun... [thumbup]

There are several forum members including moi who love the lap steel way-of-life

With all the interesting tunings and Led Zep/Pink Floyd covers to enjoy

As well as some meaty blues stuff... [wink]

V

:-({|=

Yep... what they said. $550 is quite a bit. I once paid $20 for a '38 Supro and sold it for $200 after I cleaned it up. It was pure mother of toilet seat...mint condition, and it looks like the guy I sold it to broke it and then died. I'm getting it back...FREE from his widow. She refused money for it.

Archived