Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: NOS 2011 Martin D-21 Special

HNS

After many months of searching for an all-rounder and getting help from many helpful members on the board I finally ended up buying a Martin D-21 Special from Ted @ LA guitar Sales. So please allow me to describe the process I went through, in the hope that it may help someone out there going through the same or similar process. I originally posted this post on the UMGF, but thought I'd post an edited version of it here as well. I hope it's not too boring.

Here's the original post for those who could be interested

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/topic/146802/master/1/?page=1

I currently own, a Gibson Songwriter Deluxe, a Larrivée L-05 (Honduran Mahogany), a Breedlove, and I recently owned a Taylor GS-8 and many others over the years.

Reasons for buying the Martin D-21 Special

What tilted my decision towards the D-21 Special was the nut width and the neck profile. I prefer the 1’ ¾” nut because I have large hands. This narrowed my search down to the Marquis, the D-21 Special, or one of the elderly custom models, which was beyond my budget. I also find the low profile neck (and Larrivée neck profiles) quite comfortable compared to the V-neck, or even the SWD baseball bat of a neck.

Issues I had with the Martin D-21 Special

Although I’m neither a purist nor a traditionalist, I had two issues with the D-21 Special, the lighter Spanish cedar neck and the pyramid bridge.

If I compare the D-21 special with my SWD with the Honduran mahogany neck, the SWD is definitely heavier and feels more solid. How that would affect tone, I have no idea, but I would have preferred a mahogany or even a khaya neck on this guitar, given that other manufacturers currently provide it without a premium. In the end, it wasn’t a deal breaker for me.

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/topic/80700

http://acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286692

The second issue I had was the pyramid bridge, and whether it would withstand the tension of medium strings or not, issues with bellying behind the bridge etc.

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/topic/141438/D21-Pyramid-bridge-Problems

Comparison with the Gibson Songwriter Deluxe

I can’t really compare the two objectively because my SWD, which is strung with Elixir lights, is 8 years old and has opened up quite a bit while the D-21 is new with mediums on it (they might need changing as well). Given the circumstances, the SWD has less headroom (maybe due to the light gauge strings), but has this beautiful ringing piano like sustain when flat-picked moderately (the effect of the denser neck??)

The SWD is more balanced less bassy than the D-21 Special and has a lot more bling. Honestly, It can stand its own against the Martin in its own way, but the latter has the unmistakably Martin tone and has yet to open up over the years.The Martin’s neck profile- to me – is major improvement to the SWD fat neck, hands down.And finally, I think that the Martin responds much better to cross picking and strumming than the SWD, but the latter sounds better fingerpicked (I fingerpick with flesh not nails).

Honestly, I like both guitars, but to those who say that Martin has better quality than Gibson, I can easily say that the Bozeman is just as good as Nazareth, at least when it comes to my two particular guitars. In a nutshell, I'm not letting go of my SWD. Although I like the Martin neck profile more, the fact that the Gibson neck is Mahogany and gloss finished gives it a classier look no doubt. I wish I could have strung the SWD with mediums though. Both guitars are different and sweet in their own right, which is better comes down to opinion.

Cheers everybody and have a nice weekend

Hish

Way to go, Hish! I'm betting your D21 opens up real nice in the next several months. I haven't played that model, but I looked at some pictures on line in regard to your post. Nice!

Steve

Very nice guitar. I never played one, but I was GASing after a used one Elderly had, but, alas it got sold before I got off my A$$. forced me to take a ride to Mandolin Bros. :rolleyes:

Rich

Thanks folks for the replies, I really hope to enjoy it.

Bobuz, I had no problem with my SWD, what seems to be the problem ?

RichG. You'll find an occasional one or two on the UMGF buy and sell forum. A few vendors have used ones here and there. I really don't know why they were discontinued if they were still in demand.

Cheers

H

• 1 month later...

I received this from Martin Guitars regarding D-21 Special

"Thank you for contacting Martin Guitar and for your complement. Your D21 is a great guitar. It was produced from 2007 to 2012 with a total of 604 made, including lefty’s. Your model is not listed in the 2013 price guide.

We discontinue models typically because of marketing demand, a new model is released to replace it,…

Your pyramid bridge should not give you any issues compared to a regular belly bridge. They are just cosmetically different"

Just thought it may interest those 604 owners of D-21 Specials !

Cheers

HNS

Thats a nice looking Martin, I like the darker shade on the top wood.

However, do you really feel the SWD has a baseball bat neck ? I found the neck very cumfy on mine (sold now), makes me wonder what you would think if you tried real baseball neck on the 40's Gibbys .. :rolleyes:

Thanks EuroAussie.... I always wanted to ask you why you sold your SWD, you posts seemed that you liked it quite a bit ...

True that the SWD neck is not as fat as 40's Gibby's but in comparison to my favorite Larrivee neck, its big and its fat, but not uncomfortable, it's just different.

Cheers

H

Thats a nice looking Martin, I like the darker shade on the top wood.

However, do you really feel the SWD has a baseball bat neck ? I found the neck very cumfy on mine (sold now), makes me wonder what you would think if you tried real baseball neck on the 40's Gibbys .. :rolleyes:

• 3 years later...

I was bidding on one of these D-21 specials in near mint condition on ebay and lost out at $1600. Would have liked to try it.

Oh, Good, man, Maples..

You mean that for $2499?

Guess it'll go up to as least $2000 which will be my lowest bidding sum. I can add it to $2100.

Archived