Gibson Brands Forums

2012 Les Paul Traditional

rickslespaul

Well, I just bought my second Les Paul in as many months.... My first was a Les Paul Studio 50' tribute with Humbuckers and now I just bought a Les Paul Traditional... WOW...what a difference in sound and feel. Those'57 pickups sure spit out some incredible tones, and that neck...fantastic. Has a 12" radius and is rosewood fingerboard. I chose the Ebony one cause I like the look of it and also because it's a discontinued model color. It was sure worth $2000....

LesPauls_zps18762fd0.jpg

The LP Studio is on the left and the LP Traditional is on the right.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just ordered one in honey burst, my first Les Paul in 30 years. We'll see how it is. I've never played one but I like thicker necks and 57 Classics.

I just purchased a Caramel Burst(or honey burst)Traditional about a month ago. I bought a Marshall amp as well to go with it. I havent played in a long time and decided to get back into it. I absolutely love it, I kind of regret getting out of it for a while. But being a bored to death 52 year old I believe its never too late. I owned a Stratocaster back in the 80's, that was OK, but this Les Paul >IMO< is a lot better in sound. I was torn between the Traditional and the Standard, played both, but decided on the Traditional for a $800 less, wasnt that big of deal in quality/sound/looks.

1365509254[/url]' post='1358766']

I just purchased a Caramel Burst(or honey burst)Traditional about a month ago. I bought a Marshall amp as well to go with it. I havent played in a long time and decided to get back into it. I absolutely love it, I kind of regret getting out of it for a while. But being a bored to death 52 year old I believe its never too late. I owned a Stratocaster back in the 80's, that was OK, but this Les Paul >IMO< is a lot better in sound. I was torn between the Traditional and the Standard, played both, but decided on the Traditional for a $800 less, wasnt that big of deal in quality/sound/looks.

I actually like the features on the traditional more: lighter tuners, no push-pull pots, no compound radius.

Cool man, I have a Marshall amp, but I just bought a Fender Hot Rod DeVille 410 III tube amp and wow, what a difference than the Marshall. I never thought I would buy a Fender amp...but hey, things can change when you get older. My Traditional sounds awesome thru this amp. I wont give up my Marshall, I might give it to my 8 year old son. But in conclusion. I am now playing my Traditional with a Fender Tube amp and I don't regret the change...

Cool man, I have a Marshall amp, but I just bought a Fender Hot Rod DeVille 410 III tube amp and wow, what a difference than the Marshall. I never thought I would buy a Fender amp...but hey, things can change when you get older. My Traditional sounds awesome thru this amp. I wont give up my Marshall, I might give it to my 8 year old son. But in conclusion. I am now playing my Traditional with a Fender Tube amp and I don't regret the change...

I like my Marshall DSL40c, but I think that if I were to change amplifiers I would go with a Mesa Mark V. I had a Mesa years ago and it IMO would create any kind of sound. If I actually get good enough to play out, I would spend the $$ on a Mesa. But hey...for $700 this Marshall combo is awesome !!

I just picked up a 2012 Traditional in Faded Honeyburst and I'm very happy with it. A huge improvement over my Studio Les Paul.

I agree with you 100%, I bought the LP Studio at Christmas 2012, then just last week I picked up the LP Traditional ( I chose the ebony because that color is discontinued... and I like ebony...goes good with the white binding), anyways, I noticed a difference immediately. I fell in love with the Traditional right away. The sound, the feel, the tone and the touch. It's heavy, but that why such a good tone. My next one is gonna be the LP Standard...probably this summer. I got the Les Paul fever and I won't stop until I own the Les Paul Black Beauty!!!

Talk to you soon.

-Rick

IMHO you can't beat the LP/Fender combination. For really big British distortion a Marshall is great, but for good ol' American clean tones you can't beat a Fender. You can always grunge it up with a pedal or two if need be.

Enjoy them both [thumbup]

I just picked up a 2012 Traditional in Faded Honeyburst and I'm very happy with it. A huge improvement over my Studio Les Paul.

I know...isn't it great, when I got the LP Studio I said wow, what a guitar, the feel, tone, touch... it was amazing, then I was in at Long & McQuade's last week, (That's where I've been buying now for the past 5 years)...I'm a preferred customer there now, but anyways, I was in to get my Fender Geddy Lee Signature Jazz Bass tweaked up, intonation, saddle adjustment, truss rod etc... then my buddy Rylan who works there asked me how my LP Studio was holding up, and of course I praised it. He then asked me to try out the Traditional... and man, I was blown away. He plugged it in a Fender Hot Rod Deville 410 III and I couldn't believe the sound and also the playability of the Traditional. I was so impressed that I bought the LP Traditional and the Fender amp on the spot. I don't regret it at all. I still use the LP Studio...but not as much as the LP Traditional. Let's just say that the LP Traditional is the centerpiece of my collection now. My pride and joy. After all...The Les Paul IS the holy grail of electric guitars. Don't you agree?

Later

-Rick

Hello Donny!

Fingers crossed for You with Your new Signature T!

Last years` Classic Customs were fantastic instruments. Those who skipped that opportunity can only regret it! Good to hear, from someone with big experience about Les Pauls of different eras, that they are the best!

The pictures You have posted about the T You`ve ordered, are great!

Cheers... Bence

Congrats rickslespaul. I bought a 2012 Trad Goldtop in December, and knew within the first hour of playing that It was something special. I was so impressed with the fit, finish, tone, and look, that I emailed my sales person at Sweetwater a thank you note, a first. I've got 57 Classics in my 335, 339, and now this LP. Along with the P90, Gibson's best pups IMO. Fantastic tone for a lot of different styles and temperaments.

Congrats rickslespaul. I bought a 2012 Trad Goldtop in December, and knew within the first hour of playing that It was something special. I was so impressed with the fit, finish, tone, and look, that I emailed my sales person at Sweetwater a thank you note, a first. I've got 57 Classics in my 335, 339, and now this LP. Along with the P90, Gibson's best pups IMO. Fantastic tone for a lot of different styles and temperaments.

Thanks man, they're great... they're really comfortable., I'm trying to post a picture but the damn thing won't let me post it. I think it has to do with it being over 500k??? do you know how to post a pic?

Thanks man, they're great... they're really comfortable., I'm trying to post a picture but the damn thing won't let me post it. I think it has to do with it being over 500k??? do you know how to post a pic?

I think I figured it out... hopefully you can see the photos.

LesPauls_zpsc4712a36.jpg

Mine is supposed to arrive by FedEx in the next 18 hours. I'll post pics when I get it.

Hopefully this works... I can't post photos...it only posts attachments. It won't let me post JPG's so I have to post with PDF to get below 500k... do you have any suggestions on hoe to post a photo? Your help would be appreciated....

All the amazing Traditionals (supposedly) purchased in this thread... and NOT ONE DAMN PIC!!!!!!!!!!!

For shame.... for shame

Well, I hope I figured out how to work uploading photos...I'm having a hard time with it so here it goes... If you see the photo, the one on the left is my LP Studio 50's tribute with Humbuckers and the one on the right is my LP Traditional.

http://s1328.photobucket.com/user/Rick_Duguay/media/LesPauls_zpsc4712a36.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

Also, here's a photo of the rest of my axes...

http://s1328.photobucket.com/user/Rick_Duguay/media/00-UpdatedInventory_zps5740f8c3.jpg.html

1365860205[/url]' post='1360922']

Well, I hope I figured out how to work uploading photos...I'm having a hard time with it so here it goes... If you see the photo, the one on the left is my LP Studio 50's tribute with Humbuckers and the one on the right is my LP Traditional.

http://s1328.photobu...html?sort=3&o=1

Also, here's a photo of the rest of my axes...

http://s1328.photobu...40f8c3.jpg.html

Yeah, that works. I like your music room or would that be your man-cave?

Archived