Gibson Brands Forums

Roy Rogers OM 45 Deluxe

JuanCarlosVejar

Sweet! Right there with the pre-war 000-45 I covet.

I loved Roy Rogers and the Sons of the Pioneers when I was a kid. They always had some good cowboy music in his movies, usually sitting around a campfire or leaning against a rail fence.

I did love Roy, Gene Autry, and Rex Allen. Rex Allen was a REAL cowboy, by the way, unlike the other two.

Life was much simpler then....

I'm not a Martin guy but this one is glorious =D

Yep. Roy had a lot of lucky days, but the day he found this guitar in a pawn shop was right up there.

However, he is on record as having said his Gibson Super 400 was his favorite guitar.

rr1.jpg

-- Bob R

Yep. Roy had a lot of lucky days, but the day he found this guitar in a pawn shop was right up there.

However, he is on record as having said his Gibson Super 400 was his favorite guitar.

-- Bob R

Well, I guess Roy just had to out-do all the other singing cowboys. The 17" SJ 200, after all, was the default singin' cowboys' guitar, including those odd 12-fretters that Gene Autry and some others had. The 18" Super 400, on the other hand, is a MAN's guitar.

Yippee-ki-yi-yay!

Roy's Super 400 is a wonderful guitar, even if the pickguard nearly fell off when I played it

Maybe that loose pickguard is why it went for only $43.7K -- what a bargain!

-- Bob R

Sweet! Right there with the pre-war 000-45 I covet.

I loved Roy Rogers and the Sons of the Pioneers when I was a kid. They always had some good cowboy music in his movies, usually sitting around a campfire or leaning against a rail fence.

I did love Roy, Gene Autry, and Rex Allen. Rex Allen was a REAL cowboy, by the way, unlike the other two.

Life was much simpler then....

NIck ,

bet this clip is a throw back for you ?

JC

Dang it, JT, you get to play everything!

That sucker is big ain't it?

A wonderful experience, though.

No, I didn't buy anything. I'd been called in to evaluate this rather famous Banner Gibson:

JohnwithBuddysGuitar1.jpg

:)

NIck ,

bet this clip is a throw back for you ?

JC

They guy with the guitar always gets the girl. That's why I started playing in the first place. The girl I had a wicked crush on in high school was in love with this guy who wore turtlenecks and played in a Kingston trio-type folk group.

A year later, I had my own PP&M knock-off group.

The rest is history......

Whew..that definately is not my kind of music...right down there with Salsa/Cumbia.

Must be a generational thing. Western/western swing don't have much in common with salsa/cumbia.......

You just gotta broaden your horizons......

Try this one on for size, JC.......

One of the Sons of the Pioneers biggest hits.

A great tune and great performance. But, I think that Marty Robbins owns this song (a 1930s song penned by Bob Nolan):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8ewWSMNoHI

That Gunfighter Ballads album and its sequel are fabulous albums. Marty is just great and the amazing Grady Martin plays some of the finest lead guitar in history throughout the albums.

A great tune and great performance. But, I think that Marty Robbins owns this song (a 1930s song penned by Bob Nolan):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8ewWSMNoHI

That Gunfighter Ballads album and its sequel are fabulous albums. Marty is just great and the amazing Grady Martin plays some of the finest lead guitar in history throughout the albums.

Hard to bet Marty Robbins for more modern (relatively speaking) versions of some of these great old "western" songs. I can still sing every line of "El Paso" without missing a beat. I sometimes sing it in the car on trips, and my wife just rolls her eyes: "I can't believe you remember all this stuff".

Now, if I could just remember where I put my eyeglasses 30 seconds ago, I'd be all set....

"Out in the west Texas town of El Paso, I fell in love with a Mexican girl...." After a great intro like that, you have to pull up a chair and listen to the story. You know it isn't going to end well:

"....cradled by two loving arms that I'll die for; one little kiss and Falina, good bye".

One of the best western ballads of all time. And Grady Martin's Spanish guitar was just awesome.

Archived