Gibson Brands Forums

'80's Epiphone Explorer rebuild project

J.A.Guitarworks

Hi , I'm doing a complete rebuild of an '80's Epi Explorer for a friend. He found the guitar in someone's trash and it was completely stripped of all electronics and hardware. Just the neck and body. The body is made of plywood and the headstock reads Epiphone by gibson. The only info I could find was on un-oficial WIKI, which stated it was a Korean made Epiphone. I need help to determine scale length and also what tremelo bridge was on the guitar. I'm guessing a Floyd Rose. Any info would greatly help. Thanks folks!

I am afraid I don't have the answers for you but I bet fellow member RTH does. Anyway, you should post some pics of before, during, and after the re-build on here. These kind of threads are really enjoyed on here. Good luck!

That looks like a fun project [thumbup] I wish I could find something like that

That isn't a Floyd trem, it's more of a standard Fender trem. Personally if it were me and it's going to get refinished I'd put a Floyd on it if there's room for it. It looks like someone may have put a Floyd on it, but plugged the added holes at one time.

That looks like a fun project [thumbup] I wish I could find something like that

That isn't a Floyd trem, it's more of a standard Fender trem. Personally if it were me and it's going to get refinished I'd put a Floyd on it if there's room for it. It looks like someone may have put a Floyd on it, but plugged the added holes at one time.

Now that I enlarged that wiki pic it does look like a standard trem! Thanks

It looks like your guitar had a standard 6-screw trem originally. It also looks like someone bored the outside holes for a 2-point fulcrum tremolo at some point. You would have to fill in the outside holes to put an original trem on it.

Thanks RTH, I'm trying to find the exact trem that was on it. The customer did have the outside holes filled already so It should be a snap. Whatever trem was on there must have had some loooong springs as the route wall is almost twice as long as a fender style

Archived