Gibson Brands Forums

Traditional pro or plus top pro?

toddmhall77

I'm planning to purchase an Epi Les Paul and a deciding between the Traditional Pro and the Standard Plus Top Pro. Any suggestions on which way to go? I have played both, and like both so it is a hard choice. Looking for some positives/negatives for both. Thanks!

The plustop sure looks great with the tiger stripe maple - at least it does in the ones with matched grain. The others just look odd. Why would anyone do that - make a guitar with a nice piece of figured maple and then not bother to match them up? Crazy.

Not much in it soundwise. The probuckers may be a little better than alnico classics which (according to the catalogue) are used in the Trad Pro neck.

The plustop sure looks great with the tiger stripe maple - at least it does in the ones with matched grain. The others just look odd. Why would anyone do that - make a guitar with a nice piece of figured maple and then not bother to match them up? Crazy.

Not much in it soundwise. The probuckers may be a little better than alnico classics which (according to the catalogue) are used in the Trad Pro neck.

I was told that the gibson does not match right up and they can do it but it give the guitars there own fingerprint

The probuckers may be a little better than alnico classics which (according to the catalogue) are used in the Trad Pro neck.

You meant to say 'Alnico Classic Pro' which is one of their upgraded HB's and has 4-lead wires. Both it and Probuckers are very good PU's (on a par with some American-made PU's), and you're not giving up anything by having one or the other. I have a LP Traditional PU set I bought used and put in another guitar, which sounds very good. I also have an Alnico Classic Pro set that came stock in my ebony LP Royale; played that guitar last night at a gig. Very pleased with the tones. And I have a LP Std+ Pro with stock Probuckers that also sounds nice. Until recenty, I swapped out and upgraded the PUs on all my Epi's, but haven't needed to with these newer guitars.

'Alnico Classic' is a different name for their older single lead HB's, which do sound better than they used to 10 years ago.

I can't say about the trad pro, but I've had a Std+ Pro for about three months. Excellent!

Compares quite favorably to my Gibson B7 at 1/5 the price.

IMO, the Epi ProBuckers are great pups!

I can't say about the trad pro, but I've had a Std+ Pro for about three months. Excellent!

+1. The LP Std Pro, Tribute, Traditional, Royale, '59, & '60 have upgraded PU's (Epi or Gibson) and all are great guitars. Can't beat it for the money.

2nd that on the ProBuckers! I had a LP Ultra 2 that I could never seem to connect with.

Ended up trading that towards the American Special Strat.

Picked up the LP Plustop Pro a couple of weeks ago and all I can say is WOW!

If my Ulta 2 had sounded like this I would still have it!

IMO the Trad pro gives you a wider range of sounds because the PUPs are different. The neck pup (Alnico classic pro) gives it the sound a brighter, jazz sound than the probucker 2 on the plus top. The bridge is a probucker 3 on both models which retains the Gibson LP original sound. Add the coil tap (on both models) and you can realy change up the variety of sound and tone you get from the Trad pro. I've had my Trad pro about 2 months now and love it. While shopping for mine, I was sold on the plus top until I played and heard the Trad pro. Same guitar, same set up, similar feel (love the satin neck) but much different sounds. It's a personal preference but my vote is Trad pro.

Archived