Gibson Brands Forums

Wireless Units

noluck

I have an odd situation. I use several guitars. Sometimes for recording, or live playing. But the 498t and 490r pickups on my Gibson overpower some of the pedals on my board. Mostly the dirt boxes. (a highly modified tubescreamer clone, a you dirty rat, and a fuzz or two that come and go). Like they will actually fizzle out.

The fix so far has been to use a buffer to calm down the signal from the Gibson. But it also calms down the signal from other guitars which can be undesirable, like turning a fuzz box into a overdrive sound. I've considered switching to a Klon like pedal, or just doing an A/B box. But I have thought about just adding a wireless and not dealing with the problem anymore. Anyone use a wireless? And would it alleviate that headache or just replace it with another?

Professional wireless units (and maybe even "consumer grade" units) do have adjustable gain. The transmitter will have adjustment so as not to OD the transmission signal, and the receiver will also have an adjustable output. This would be pretty expensive just for volume matching, and would then need a separate input to the amp (or board/recorder).

I would recommend an A/B box with adjustable output levels for each input. I believe Behringer makes a reasonably priced unit (AB100).

Archived