Gibson Brands Forums

May have dodged a bullet

ksdaddy

So never one to miss an opportunity to flip and make money, last week I was offered this guitar, a 1977 ES-175T at a giveaway price. A guy was liquidating cheap and I was there. It has been sitting in it's case since 1986. I put it on ebay with a reserve. The guitar ended without meeting the reserve although the final price represented about 3.5 times what I paid for it. It missed the reserve by only $125. But over the last week I've really gotten to like it. I mean really like it. I mean like it to the point of hoping it didn't sell.

I think I'll hang onto it a while.

o03wwx.jpg

Well... just don't bring it out here on a vacation.

Some grouchy old gray-haired picker might turn into a mugger.

To me the 175 is the perfect size and "feel;" it has an incredible range of sounds even through a "clean" amp.

A string choice and setup appropriate for one's playing style and it almost plays itself.

Yeah, I'll admit to some prejudice. <grin> Ain't seen deals as you suggest out where I live... @#$%#$%@#

m

Very, very sweet!

FWIW I'd suggest you 'force yourself' to hang onto it for a pre-determined amount of time; say two three months........

At the end of that time re-appraise - in as honest and detached a frame of mind as you can muster - what, exactly, your thoughts are about the instrument.

If you feel like you could happily let it go to fund the next 'flip' then sell it.

If you aren't quite sure then perhaps you need another three six months.

If you are pretty sure you have grown too fond of it to let it go then you'll just have to face the facts squarely in the face; She's a Keeper!

You will always be able to sell it at a profit, that much is clear, so it's effectively 'money in the bank' whatever you decide to do with it.

And in the meantime - however long that proves to be - you get to enjoy yourself with a lovely, rare beauty!

P.

Damn KS that's the guitar I've been after for many years... I think I want the full body though. I think Gibson makes the thin line now but it has a new number, it's not an ES 175 it's the ES 135. Just found a pic of a 135...

the ES-135 was discontinued about 10 years ago. the ES-137 is the follow on.

I have an ES-135, not as wide a body as a 175, solid center-block (like a 335) and PAF pickups. I added a bigsby to mine, it's identical to the picture you found. Sweet axe.

I don't think such a beast ever existed (Thin body 175, single cutaway)

the closest you would see today is the ES-137,

Prior to that, the ES-135 (Discontinued about 10 maybe more, years back)

and both have a (what I thought was a spruce) center block.

These are deeper than a 335, but not as deep as the 175. (The bodies are closer to the depth of what you'd see in a Brydland, or the Howard Roberts sig. to name a few similar profiles)

I have an ES-135 that I can post some more pics and take some measurements.

Lovely guitars.. the 137s (the follow on and still made today), are fantastic.

I don't think such a beast ever existed (Thin body 175, single cutaway)...

Yup.

In Ian C. Bishop's book 'The Gibson Guitar from 1950 (Vol 1)', published in 1977 it is listed as a current model having been introduced into the range in 1976.

Here are a couple of extracts;

'These guitars are identical to an ES 175 but only 1 3/4" deep instead of 3 3/8". '

'At present the semi-acoustic (sic) guitar is going through one of it's cycles of popularity and this is demonstrated by the fact that Gibson have produced an ES 175T this year (1976).

Most players find the thin semi-acoustic more appealing for general everyday use as it is somewhat less limited than it's full cello bodied counterpart and produces less feedback, which is, as every player knows, a problem when playing at the sort of volume that is the norm these days.'

P.

No center block of any kind on this one. It appears to be constructed the same way as any older ES thinline "125" variant but with bling (neck binding, board inlays, inlaid logo vs. decal). I've seen these come up for sale occasionally, mostly in a wine red color.

It's got the 70s wider headstock and volute but I never paid much attention to any of that. Stone stock original except possibly the nut. Not sure about that one but they spaced it well if it is a replacement. I could go a tish lower but I'm a real Richard about that. And the nut could be reshaped on top but that's just me.... (Richard again).

It had some little angel hair strings on it, older than dirt. I had a (barely used) set of Thomastik-Infield flat wounds, 11-50 I think. I put them on there and like them. No, you're not going to bend the G string much.

Stock Gibson pickups and they are wonderful. The front pickup has a nice thick Wes tone when rolled back and if you switch to the back pickup and switch channels on the amp (a little Frontman 25R) it sounds just like George Thorogood's first album on Rounder (You got to Lose, Ride on Josephine).

I've complained a lot about all the hollow bodies (Gibson and otherwise) that all fell short of what I want in one way or another. The closest one up until now has been the '77 Gretsch Country Club that I've had about 8 years. My gripes about that one is that the 17" body is bulky and it weighs a ton. The 175T is 16" and about 2 lbs lighter.

I've owned a 1955 ES-295, a 1978 175, and a 1996 Herb Ellis so I'm no stranger to a Gibson "16" but never realized how much more comfortable the thinner body is.

23syf05.jpg

fa4qaq.jpg

Yup.

In Ian C. Bishop's book 'The Gibson Guitar from 1950 (Vol 1)', published in 1977 it is listed as a current model having been introduced into the range in 1976.

Here are a couple of extracts;

'These guitars are identical to an ES 175 but only 1 3/4" deep instead of 3 3/8". '

'At present the semi-acoustic (sic) guitar is going through one of it's cycles of popularity and this is demonstrated by the fact that Gibson have produced an ES 175T this year (1976).

Most players find the thin semi-acoustic more appealing for general everyday use as it is somewhat less limited than it's full cello bodied counterpart and produces less feedback, which is, as every player knows, a problem when playing at the sort of volume that is the norm these days.'

P.

I bow to one of our residing masters!

Thanks Pip...

never knew this,

(so when I usually say "I'm no expert" at least you guys know -- At least in this, I'm CORRECT!! [rolleyes] )

But I'm right about the ES-135.. ion fact, I'm dead nuts on! it's SWEET! :)

There was one over here in UK earlier this year, went for about £1200+(GBP).

The thing about the 175 is the wonderful wide, flat board. You must keep it as you won't find another thinline that easy.

For heaven's sake put it through the Dual Showman and the big cab.

If you like it that much already.....and you've never been happy with that beautiful Heritage you have....

• 1 year later...

I don't think such a beast ever existed (Thin body 175, single cutaway)

the closest you would see today is the ES-137,

Prior to that, the ES-135 (Discontinued about 10 maybe more, years back)

and both have a (what I thought was a spruce) center block.

These are deeper than a 335, but not as deep as the 175. (The bodies are closer to the depth of what you'd see in a Brydland, or the Howard Roberts sig. to name a few similar profiles)

I have an ES-135 that I can post some more pics and take some measurements.

Lovely guitars.. the 137s (the follow on and still made today), are fantastic.

The ES-135 has a Chromyte (Balsa) block inside, the ES-137 has a Mahogany block. The ES-335 has a Maple block.

Archived