Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Dark Fire: Need help with tuning!

esisoon

Hi guys

I am the proud owner of a Dark Fire, and have recently started to really play music again, and naturally the DF is my weapon of choice.

Last week at a show, I was having problems tuning then high e string. While I was jamming a few days later, the e string snap, so I changed the whole set. Now all the strings work fine but the high e string, on the control knob it shows flashing white. As the white flashes, the tuning pegs doesn't move but when I turn it it hits the right tuning, which encourages me to conclude that the tuning peg is broken.

2 questions:

1. What does flashing white mean?

2. The MCK shows S, then G in the middle. What does this mean?

And more importantly, how can I get this resolved?

Thanks guys!

The white flashing usually happens when then two strings are touching. Either by the way of your hand... or elsewhere. Did you snip off the string tails?, are all strings seated correctly on the bridge? Does any string have the possibility of touching another?

Are your strings clean as the snowfall? Did you try coated ones that may insulate and not allow electrical conductance?

The best strings for a Gibson robot are standard strings with an un-coated metal ball at the end.

The white flashing usually happens when then two strings are touching. Either by the way of your hand... or elsewhere. Did you snip off the string tails?, are all strings seated correctly on the bridge? Does any string have the possibility of touching another?

Are your strings clean as the snowfall? Did you try coated ones that may insulate and not allow electrical conductance?

The best strings for a Gibson robot are standard strings with an un-coated metal ball at the end.

Hey man,

Thanks for this.

I snipped off the string tails to be short, and all strings seated correctly on bridge. No visible signs of strings touch. New strings. Not coated ones, regular Ernie Ball Cobalt 10-46. I thought the problem was with the strings, so I changed it but the problem persists. Turns out when I turn the tuning peg manually and it gets in tune, it becomes Green. Therefore, I suspect the problem lies with the tuning peg.

Ideas?

Soon

I suspect the problem lies with the tuning peg.

Ideas?

It sounds like a logical idea indeed. The tuner needs to make excellent contact with the module in the middle. If the machine head becomes slightly loose, you'll experience that. If you remove and inspect the machine head, you'll see where and how it contacts the headstock control module. That connection could be the issue.

It sounds like a logical idea indeed. The tuner needs to make excellent contact with the module in the middle. If the machine head becomes slightly loose, you'll experience that. If you remove and inspect the machine head, you'll see where and how it contacts the headstock control module. That connection could be the issue.

Thanks man, I'll check this and see if I can figure this out. Will keep it posted for future references for other members!

Thanks man, I'll check this and see if I can figure this out. Will keep it posted for future references for other members!

I really think that Gibson should have disclosed the very very basics about how it works in the manual. Things like... "Power is supplied through the guitar strings, so avoid using silk-wrap or coated strings to ensure good electrical contact" would have helped many users out.

Regardless, I figure that people who would buy a tech guitar in the first place would likely want to explore how it works anyway.. Just to know what drives the technology.

Archived