Gibson Brands Forums

Post pics of your fave Archtop

AlanC

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ibanez Artcore AFJ-91. Granted, it's no Gibson, but I really like it just the same, and it is the only archtop I own.

72499828-9391-4838-b4a9-b9d25f5f48cc_zps437b3606.jpg

As much as I love the sound of a nice archtop, I'm pretty happy with the guitars I have.

Look great. How's the Wes? How old?

The Wes was made in 2003, that makes her 11 years old. She has gotten better with age for sure. Mellow is the only word that comes to mind every time I pick it up and play. I think Gibson and Wes Montgomery struck gold with this model. And when you consider that it costs me $5k in 2003 and now brand new ones costs $9K is an example of the demand for this guitar. This is the only guitar in my entire collection past and present, that have never seen the outside world. It's purely a home studio guitar that I simply admire more than any other guitars I've seen and played. She's a keeper!

Jazz,

L5C_zps2fb3f955.jpg

Here is one of my favorites to play. A 1968 L-5 C in Mint Condition. This guitar belonged to EARL BACKUS, one of the great jazz players from Chicago in the 1940s and 50s. Also one of the busiest studio players there ever was. He was featured many times on Gibson print ads from Downbeat magazine in the 1950s. This was his home guitar. A gold DeArmond floating pickup was added by him.

Plays like a dream.

mSZR8aC5CdhFVJl8L11BI9Q.jpg

L5C_zps2fb3f955.jpg

Here is one of my favorites to play. A 1968 L-5 C in Mint Condition. This guitar belonged to EARL BACKUS, one of the great jazz players from Chicago in the 1940s and 50s. Also one of the busiest studio players there ever was. He was featured many times on Gibson print ads from Downbeat magazine in the 1950s. This was his home guitar. A gold DeArmond floating pickup was added by him.

Plays like a dream.

mSZR8aC5CdhFVJl8L11BI9Q.jpg

Wow. Looks mint. I luv it. Congrats. You are really lucky.

I have a few Gibson hollow, semi, and solid guitars but every time I pick one up I realize that they're ALL my favorites, picking one isn't possible, but here's one of them, the ES-137 custom in the center.

csb_trio2s.jpg

I have a few Gibson hollow, semi, and solid guitars but every time I pick one up I realize that they're ALL my favorites, picking one isn't possible, but here's one of them, the ES-137 custom in the center.

csb_trio2s.jpg

You are right. Just when I find my favorite, something else happens.

Archived