Gibson Brands Forums

Best strings for a Advanced Jumbo

md335+aj

New to the forum and Gibson. Recently purchased a 2010 Advanced Jumbo. I am from a Martin background, but love my new Gibby AJ. Different sound but very nice. Not sure of the strings that are on it (maybe a coated) but wondering what brand/type will really make this jump. Seems that the voice of this guitar may do better without coated strings. Any experienced input is appreciated

Elixirs are coated.

I use Elixir .10 - .47. On a J185ec

I have a Pete Townsend signature J200 and I use 12-54 gauge strings on it. Martin, D'Addario, Elixir...all about the same (I've used them all)....apples and oranges if you will. I've never heard of "coated" guitar strings in my 56 years of playing.

Elixir_Nanoweb_Acoustic_Extra_Light_11002_10_47_Strings.gif

Another Nanoweb user here (.012 gauge on my Acoustics) for some years now

I've tried recently Cleartone, (they say "not coated, treated".. no idea what that means) those are pretty good too, also tried D'Addario EXP, but did't like the feel or the tone.

so I went back to the Elixrs, just got used to the response and feel of them.

The Polyweb were the originals, and the coating is not the same, thicker, and it tends to flake off faster than the nanoweb

So maybe try the Nanowebs if you want to check out Elixrs and are not gunshy of coated strings.

otherwise, try the cleartone. they both last for a long while before going dead on ya

Goretex/Teflon ect...

Cleartone - D'addario - Ernie Ball all have a coated brand of string.

I personally use Elixir strings on everything and have for years. I've tried others but always come back.

hey Axe,, so the caveat with Cleartone, is the packaging says "Treated, not Coated" -- ya,, I know,, ?what?

The theory is that dead skin cells and other junk from your fingers gets into the crevices between the wraps of the strings and deadens them. The teflon/goretex coating keeps that stuff out of there and the strings last about 3 times longer than non-coated. This is more effective with the heavier gauges that we tend to use on acoustics, but I like them so much on acoustic that I have gone to using them on electrics as well.

Elixir sent me a free set of their phosfor/bronze to try out when they first came out with them and I didn't care for the tone of those - too brassy sounding.

I really like the clear bell like tone of them on both acoustice and electric guitar. They can call them nanoweb, or polyweb or whatever they want - but they work!! [thumbup]

I've been hooked on the Elixir Custom Light Nanoweb.

Easy to play, sound good and for the amount of playing time I do, they last forever.

To get a another opinion, I gave a set to a freind of mine who is either playing gigs or giving guitar lessons every night.

He normally changes his strings every week due to corrosion. The Elixir's went three weeks with no corrosion, but the wound strings were showing signs of wear.

He liked the sound, but he does plug in his acoustics.

Check out Maury's website. He does a good revue of strings.

As is everything, it depends on how you like them and if you like the way they sound.

The nanoweb (I think anyway) are a better choice than the polyweb, the nanoweb coating is thinner, and seem to hold up better over the course of the life of the strings. (they still flake, but, not as much as the polywebs)

I'm wondering why they continue to produce the polyweb, some one must prefer them the nanweb coatings. I know I don't.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Old post, I know but my $.02 anyway.

Elixir poly user here. Prefer them over the nano's and EXP coated, and ernie ball coated. The thicker coating doesn't bother me and I feel the strings last a bit longer as a result. I currently have the EB's on both my J185ec and Langejans cuz I bought 4 sets and haven't wore them out yet. Still prefer the poly's though.

Archived