Gibson Brands Forums

Do Gibson Hummingbirds still have that sticky lacquer finish?

GuitarLight

I am considering buying a new Gibson Hummingbird and I noticed that many top guitar makers no longer use lacquer finish on the necks because of staining and stickiness in heat humidity and sweated work outs on the guitars. There are no Gibson dealers around me and online may be the only alternative for buying it. I am also concerned that I have heard so many stories about inconsistent quality in both build and overly extreme varied top burst variations, as well as highly inconsistent tone quality between models, particularly on the Hummingbird model. And lastly, I would also like some opinions on if the Hummingbird was truly developed to compliment the human voice, or is this just hype by Gibson to sell more guitars? I am also concerned that Gibson names so many of its models "Hummingbird." ...when they are all built different. What's with that? Any opinions on these issues before I buy? Thanks. I love the Hummingbird look, and want the sound and color to be consistent..after all it cost over $3000!

that's all a load of BS .

Gibson montana are building the best guitars they have ever built .

since you will be ordering it from a 5 star dealer you can ask the to get a particular any color you'd like .

you can even send them a picture of a particular hbird you like and they will get your hbird as close as possible to the one in the picture .

alot of people here on the forum have great sounding Montana birds . that lack of quality story is really really old and it is no longer the case .

I might suggest you order from 2 great dealers : Bailey Brothers Music or Fuller's Vintage Guitar . I been dealing with Fuller's for years and they have always given me wonderful service . But a forum memeber here Keith Edwards who goes by the name of Modoc333 works at Bailey Bros and he is just such a great guy and I am sure either of those dealers with get the best bird possible in your hands .

I hope this helps

JC

My J200 I bought a little over a year ago did but I got it direct from the factory. It went away fairly quick.

My HB I bought last month did not. It's a great guitar and quickly becoming one of my favorites

I've had my Hummingbird around eight years now. Excellent guitar. Still, the first couple of years were pretty rough with that sticky neck. I had to go to the emergency room twice to have them pry my hand off of the guitar neck. I'm sure Gibson must have been using a lacquer that had some superglue qualities in it. However, the upside was that the neck of the guitar was a great glue trap for rodents. People used to think I had animal designs inlayed on the neck. However, once they got within 2-3 feet of the guitar the odor told them they were wrong.

GuitarLight, aside from that, "the bird" is a killer guitar. You've got to want "the bird" and find one that speaks to you in-order to fully understand what I'm saying. "Yes," the Hummingbird was originally designed to compliment the human voice. I don't know you, so please don't take any of this personally. It's not intended that way.---------BUT, it sounds like you've been reading other forums where Gibsons are typically bashed by people who have rarely played one, never owned one, but have read a great many opinions on them from people who have rarely played one and never owned one. Gibsons are not cookie cutter guitars. Considerably more human touch goes into a Gibson than their main competitors. Gibsons are not designed to play light, airy, metrosexual music (whoever came-up with that term---I love it..lol...), although you can play that kind of music if that's what speaks to you. Gibsons are "been there and done that" guitars. They're country, folk, blues, Rock & Roll, roots, honky-tonk, jazz, front porch, back porch, campfire, symphony orchestra. Most of all, at least to me, she's the girl you meet in the bar who's outspoken, not afraid to get down-and-dirty, and who you can't keep your hands off of and who you would love to make sweet music with.

In all sincerity, I think this forum is your best place to get an honest opinion on Gibsons. Certainly, literally everyone in here owns and loves Gibsons, but they will still tell you the truth. They'll tell you what they don't like and they'll tell you what's true and what's a crock of crap, and there are a lot of crocks out there. Hope you find the guitar that speaks to you, whither it's a Gibson or not.

I've had my Hummingbird around eight years now. Excellent guitar. Still, the first couple of years were pretty rough with that sticky neck. I had to go to the emergency room twice to have them pry my hand off of the guitar neck. I'm sure Gibson must have been using a lacquer that had some superglue qualities in it. However, the upside was that the neck of the guitar was a great glue trap for rodents. People used to think I had animal designs inlayed on the neck. However, once they got within 2-3 feet of the guitar the oder told them they were wrong.

GuitarLight, aside from that, "the bird" is a killer guitar. You've got to want "the bird" and find one that speaks to you in-order to fully understand what I'm saying. "Yes," the Hummingbird was originally designed to compliment the human voice. I don't know you, so please don't take any of this personally. It's not intended that way.---------BUT, it sounds like you've been reading other forums where Gibsons are typically bashed by people who have rarely played one, never owned one, but have read a great many opinions on them from people who have rarely played one and never owned one. Gibsons are not cookie cutter guitars. Considerably more human touch goes into a Gibson than their main competitors. Gibsons are not designed to play light, airy, metrosexual music (whoever came-up with that term---I love it..lol...), although you can play that kind of music if that's what speaks to you. Gibsons are "been there and done that" guitars. They're country, folk, blues, Rock & Roll, roots, honky-tonk, jazz, front porch, back porch, campfire, symphony orchestra. Most of all, at least to me, she's the girl you meet in the bar who's outspoken, not afraid to get down-and-dirty, and who you can't keep your hands off of and who you would love to make sweet music with.

In all sincerity, I think this forum is your best place to get an honest opinion on Gibsons. Certainly, literally everyone in here owns and loves Gibsons, but they will still tell you the truth. They'll tell you what they don't like and they'll tell you what's true and what's a crock of crap, and there are a lot of crocks out there. Hope you find the guitar that speaks to you, whither it's a Gibson or not.

Thank you EVERYONE for your honest replies on the Gibson Hummingbird. I will take them all into consideration for sure when I get my hands on a Hummingbird. If I can get past the sticky neck I am sure I would love it.I have owned 3 good Gibsons in the past. Unfortunately they all had sticky neck syndrome, and perhaps that is one of the reasons I no longer have them,not sure.. But I sing most of the time while playing, and prefer Hog for this purpose. The Hummingbird intrigues me in that it is reputed to be one of the best, and most beautiful for vocals, Even the Rollin Stones, Kieth Richards?...said that the Hummingbird is the only guitar you will ever need. Jim Morrison, rocked out as he was, often played the Hummingbird. So I will continue my search!

And lastly, I would also like some opinions on if the Hummingbird was truly developed to compliment the human voice, or is this just hype by Gibson to sell more guitars?

I don't know, maybe you can say that, but to me the human voice is many things with many levels of output.

GuitarLight - Don't be too sure you can capture what the Hummingbirds has represented over a period of 43 years in a few sentences.

That would be optimistic and perhaps also a bit naïve, pardon me.

The Bird has gone through a series of stages and as they are a part of the adjustable-saddle-family - and even at some point came with the notorious, but to some people too hard out-counted plastic bridge – the variables are plenty.

Go and check the Tube for various voices and expressions -

Then afterward search these pages for f.x. the differences between the Standard and the True Vintage. A lot said there.

There's all sorts of all sorts and I personally believe that counts for other G-models as well – the J-45 to name the most obvious.

If Keith at some point said, "all you need is a Hummingbird", then fine. But you have to consider he was a young bold man at the time, who could play yes alrite, but not with the acoustic as his main sword.

Check the folk-footage from the 60's – not too many Birds there.

Check Dylan – only played a Bird once.

Check CSN&Y and the acts in their trail, not least the early 70's singersongwriters. Not a Bird in sight !

Then sit back and wait, , , , and wait, , , and wait, , , , for Sheryl Crow to restart the craze for square shouldered Gibsons 25 years later.

All that said, it have to be underlined that I find the Hummingbird one of the most enigmatic and charismatic acoustic guitars and that I'm still on a treasure-hunt for the exact right one, , , , for me. A mythological phantom of a honeyglazed sweet-dream it may be, , , but still worth every mile.

Last – as Smurfbird says, if you have pictures of Jim Morrison playing a Gibson Hummingbird, not just the members here, but the whole world is dying to see them.

So please post – the Board is waiting for gold.

Sorry I have no pictures of Jim Morrison playing a Hummingbird, but I do recall reading this recently online as I play a lot of Jim Morrison"s work and am very fond of his music and lyrics. I have no way of knowing if this is true, but it jumped out at me as I was doing research on Hummingbirds. The stones used a Hummingbird in the song "Angie." Here is the link for the Angie song with the Hummingbird

Can you imagine a guitar being built to compliment Keith Richard's voice?...lol... Keith is a lot of things, but a singer isn't one of them. One heck of a guitar player though.

I hadn't heard of Morrison playing a Hummingbird either, but who knows what went on in the hotel rooms and writing sessions? I wouldn't be surprised if Morrison played guitar. Mick Jagger plays. Hardly ever on stage, but he does play. Of course, with Richards and Ronnie Wood the bases are covered.

Can you imagine a guitar being built to compliment Keith Richard's voice?...lol... Keith is a lot of things, but a singer isn't one of them. One heck of a guitar player though.

I hadn't heard of Morrison playing a Hummingbird either, but who knows what went on in the hotel rooms and writing sessions? I wouldn't be surprised if Morrison played guitar. Mick Jagger plays. Hardly ever on stage, but he does play. Of course, with Richards and Ronnie Wood the bases are covered.

Never had a Gibson with a sticky neck. Had a Blueridge with a sticky neck. Didn't bother me much. Ended-up selling it for other reasons.

GLight, Some necks have satiny finishes, some eggshelly, etc. Folks sometimes will "sand" their necks LIGHTLY with Wet Dry Emory Paper to change the slickeriness to what they like. 400 grit would give you a stickier feel than 1200 which would be pretty glossy. Of course, the finish itself is not tacky, sticky as in not yet dried. I've found playing it awhile gets the finish to a level of smooth tackiness that is just right. I couldn't help notice in another post this week you mentioned you are a fan of Epiphones and are seriously considering their Hummingbird model. There is no comparison to the Gibson 'bird family. I've got a 2010 H'bird TV and have a student with an Epi Bird. Hers has really come into its own in terms of tone over the year or so she's had it. but, you get what you pay for, more or less - $3 thousand vs $3 hundred. Yes, there is a glut of Gibson H'bird models. No one here understands why Gibson produces a square shoulder hog "Hummingbird Pro' and a Hummingbird Artist model that are different in look, sound and feel from the standard H'bird and the TV. Even the necks are different lengths and profiles. And this may be the source of the variation in face / burst finishes you referred to. Some don't even have the iconic pickguard. Sort of like getting your Salsa made in NYC! So, I guess one can only conclude that square shoulder dreads with hog b/s are in the Hummingbird Family, of which there are different models. Since you mentioned you would have to order on line, I think you'll have to make a leap of faith after first deciding what your budget is. Dealing through a reputable retailer will give you some latitude. Not sure about Jim Morrison, but I know Justin Beiber plays a real H'bird. G'luck.

It still makes glad to see Mick strap on his older or newer Bird on stage* - Ron W. sticks to the J-200 and even plays his version of the Angie-intro on that one, while Keith himself seems to have permanently changed to some sort of brown topped vintage Martin 12-fret (which he apparently likes a lot).

Yeah, Morrison might have had an acoustic around him and it could very well have been a Bird – pictures would be a worldwide scoop.

Who f.x. knew that Neil Young has a 50's J-50 with him on tour for the hotel rooms before his guitar roadie revealed it in a recent interview.

*then admit I'm a soft'n'sentimental semi-fool for iconic rock images -

he was too stoned most of fhe time to know what side the strings were on :-)

bwahahah ..... to true.

I guess thats why he only played maracas and such, didn't matter which hand he used, or how they were held for that matter.

There came a voice that sounds as if it knows what it's talking about - a happy Bird-owner if I'm not too far off btw. . .

Happy indeed.....

In Hawaii right now ...... missin' the 'bird, but have a uke to keep me company ..

BTW....as a youngster he (JM) also tried to learn how to play the piano, but alas, he gave up on that too...

bwahahah ..... to true.

I guess thats why he only played maracas and such, didn't matter which hand he used, or how they were held for that matter.

Seems like he always had to have something in his hands

Archived