Gibson Brands Forums

59 C&W

JuanCarlosVejar

I have to admit I dont really get the idea behind the slope shouldered C&W. I mean its basically identical to a J-50 really.

I sort of get the square shoulder version more as an alternative to the very aethetically specfic Hummingbird, so a natural versioin without any bling made sense, but the slope shoulder I dont get ?

I have to admit I dont really get the idea behind the slope shouldered C&W. I mean its basically identical to a J-50 really.

I sort of get the square shoulder version more as an alternative to the very aethetically specfic Hummingbird, so a natural versioin without any bling made sense, but the slope shoulder I dont get ?

Natural Southern Jumbo i guess

JC

It's simple, Mark. The slope CW is to the slope J-50 as the slope SJ is to the slope J-45: similar guitar, more bling.

If you spend enough time with them you will note that 1950s SJs and later the SJNs were made with better wood than the J45/50. The tops usually have a very tight and even grain often getting wider as you get the sides (like a well-made violin)while the bodies were made with premium grade mahogany. While I really can't explain it, the SJs do not seem to be quite as wide open and big banging as a J-45 but had a somewhat tighter or more defined lower asnd upper end.

Archived