Gibson Brands Forums

L5 strings - stopped manufacturing...?

texasdw

I just realized that apparently Gibson no longer makes the L5 strings. These were solid nickel wrap. The specific set I've used is 11-14-19-30-41-52. I've looked at all the other major brands, and it turns out this is a rather unusual gauge. I can find something similar from D'Addario, but not with a solid nickel wrap. Anybody know a direct alternative to this specific set? Otherwise I'll just go with something similar and tweak the intonation again. But I was really happy with the sound and feel of the Gibsons, so I'm a little bummed.

Sorry if this has been covered before.

I just realized that apparently Gibson no longer makes the L5 strings. These were solid nickel wrap. The specific set I've used is 11-14-19-30-41-52. I've looked at all the other major brands, and it turns out this is a rather unusual gauge. I can find something similar from D'Addario, but not with a solid nickel wrap. Anybody know a direct alternative to this specific set? Otherwise I'll just go with something similar and tweak the intonation again. But I was really happy with the sound and feel of the Gibsons, so I'm a little bummed.

Sorry if this has been covered before.

Argh! I use these on my Johnny A's and SC-356's. Still have a few sets, but it's depressing news. Luckily I don't change strings often <_<

Danny W.

Thanks. I have a few sets left too. But, when I'm playing my L5 regularly, I'm pretty regular about changing strings. I suppose I'll need to find some alternative. Funny how this is so bothering me. I guess it's because I go through such a long process to settle on just the right set. Then the guitar is set up for that specific set. So now...the process starts over.

Thanks. I have a few sets left too. But, when I'm playing my L5 regularly, I'm pretty regular about changing strings. I suppose I'll need to find some alternative. Funny how this is so bothering me. I guess it's because I go through such a long process to settle on just the right set. Then the guitar is set up for that specific set. So now...the process starts over.

I ordered more through Amazon, so I can worry about it in the future.

Danny W.

...so...I emailed Gibson directly to ask about these. Thinking perhaps that they are only temporarily discontinued, or that maybe they're going to reintroduce them under another name/packaging or something like that. I got this back:

Hello,

Strings, like any available part can be ordered and purchased through your local Gibson/Epiphone dealer. For parts that are not in current production or otherwise not available, we recommend the used and/or reproduction parts suppliers listed below:

All Parts: 1-800-327-8942 www.allparts.com

Stewart-McDonald (OH): 1-800-848-2273 www.stewmac.com.

Warmoth: 253-845-0403 www.warmoth.com

WD: 1-877-WDMUSIC www.wdmusicproducts.com

Thanks,

What a crock. A standard canned answer that doesn't even apply or make sense. Thanks Gibson.

Hi guys. Looks like there are only a couple of us who really care about this matter. Perhaps that's why Gibson stopped manufacturing these things. Too bad. Nevertheless, I did email D'Addario and asked them about the possibility of a similar set, and they seemed very receptive. We actually had a conversation over several emails. At any rate, this was the last response I got from them:

I'm sure you're probably not the only player disappointed that Gibson stopped making those strings, so maybe if they get enough correspondence requesting the product, they'll start making them again. We do have pure nickel sets, none that match the gauges that you are looking for, but feel free to check them out http://www.daddario.com/DADProductFamily.Page?ActiveID=3768&familyid=4

So, perhaps D'addario would actually produce a string to suit us, if enough of us contacted them. Worth a try ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, fellas.

Sorry for a late response. Maybe you might consider Rotosound? I bring it up because I switched over to them when Gibson stopped making my strings, the Ace Frehley (.09-.46) Strings, years ago. I have progressed a bit since then (I now use .12's on all guitars for regular play). Currently, I use their Roto Purples on my fleet but I am considering using some Top Tape Flatwounds on my ES-335. They only come in .12's but I can attest to the fact that their regular .12's bend, play and feel like .11's so perhaps their flatwounds are the same? To give you an idea of their performance, I have had a set of strings on my Ace Frehley Les Paul for the last 11 MONTHS and they are STILL full of life; Actually, they are as vibrant as any string would be after the first 3 days of play. Never broken one. Never changed them. They're still going. Just some food for thought...

Bobby

http://rotosound.com/top_tape.php

Thanks for the suggestion on the rotos.

I'm done for the moment though. I went through quite a few options in the last month or two. Including D'Addario pure nickel, LaBella roller wound, GHS, and Thomastik-Infeld flats (the jazz-swing series). I like the latter. I won't give the review of everything I tried...but the TIs have a good string to string balance, and the tone is a little more "open" and sustaining than other flats I've tried. There also seems to be less 'brightness-discrepancy' between the wrap and plain strings with this set than with other flats I've tried.

We'll see how long they last. But I've heard good things about their longevity. For now though, this is where I'm at.

• 2 months later...

Just as an update, Amazon kept delaying my orders (I had two--one to ship from Amazon and one from an outside supplier) and finally canceled them.

My existing stash of these should last me awhile and then I'll start looking.

Danny W.

IMO it would be a bit much to expect Gibson to actually make guitar strings in this age of mega product runs for economic reasons...

I can recommend making up personalised custom sets from individually gauged strings...many online retailers offer single strings...

I do this with Rotosounds...

The other excellent source is Newtone, who will make up pretty much any custom set to a customer's specification

V

:-({|=

Well, as a final update on this from me...I went with D'Addario EJ21s. That's what I have on my 335 too. Nickel plated steel, 12-52. I like 'em on my L5. I feel like my L5 is "back."

Thank you for the feedback. It is helpful.

Perhaps they are what the Gibson L5 branded strings really are: D'Addario EJ21s.

Archived