Gibson Brands Forums

Refin a '65 SG Special?

Stubee

I've searched the web but not much luck. I have a c. '65 SG Special (two P-90s, guard wraps top pup, SN 700966). It has all original electronics, pups & hardware. Vibrola, bridge & original tuners are off now but I've got 'em. I bought it years ago with a headstock crack, had it repaired (glued + spliced) by a nationally respected luthier. Very solid, but the splice shows. He used the splice to make it stronger + back then it was "only an SG". It also has a ~1/2" piece of the headstock veneer off, from top of headstock angling down in a V about 1" to the left of the D tuner. Logo intact & nice. The original white finish was stripped ages ago. Also has three or four side markers missing, all else OK and it actually looks nice, plays fine & roars.

My question: if I pro refinned in white to get 'er back like it was, would the refin pay for itself or be just a nice thing to do? Thanks for any input.

The refin would just be a nice thing to do. The "collector" or "vintage" value of the guitar went out the window with the headstock crack and original finish strip. The guitar is now just a neat old Gibson. Don't expect a refin and/or restoration to add anything to the value, or even pay for itself. Unfortunately, it will always be a refinished guitar with a broken headstock. But, it sure would look nice.

In the crazy world of vintage guitars, the individual hardware and pickup parts would more than likely bring in more total cash that the damaged guitar in tact. I see perfectly good original semi-vintage guitars being parted out for maximun cash intake.

Archived