Gibson Brands Forums

Worst Les Paul Ever?

Greg Jacob

Watch the review, this thing is a mess and would be a pain to use. Chappers even seems to be laughing at it while trying to sell it. The foot pedals look to be unreadable from standing height. The only good sounds come 20 minutes in when they use a Marshall amp with the guitar doing as little as possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EueNxJR1EP0

Do you think this would be a great guitar?

I'm totally happy with my DarkFire... however the question is...

Would You Buy a LPX.. my answer is YES... if I was financially able and the deal was good. So it's a half yes.

Stomp boxes on the floor have always made me happy enough.

I don't care about the LPX, I just didn't know GCSux.com still existed. Or, maybe existed again.

rct

Ha ha... GC Sucks has been around for about 8 years. It's had 3 "reboots" with new admins. Some Jerk bag named Ed from Las Vegas <--- yeah, that Ed... kept trying to take it over.

Watch the review, this thing is a mess and would be a pain to use. Chappers even seems to be laughing at it while trying to sell it. The foot pedals look to be unreadable from standing height. The only good sounds come 20 minutes in when they use a Marshall amp with the guitar doing as little as possible.

Les Paul (himself) might have said the 60's sg, shape wise, the shift from the single cutaway to the devil horns was the worst lp. LP didn't like the change and had gibson take his name of the guitar so it was just the sg (short for solidbody guitar). Early sg's had the les paul name on the headstock.

oh i see the vid. the lp 'x' with all the do dads and pedals. hmmm seems to me in the eighties technology shift brought synth and midi guitars to market (from Guitar Player magazine) , very expensive, very complex technology. looking at it you'd either find a really neat use for it or think it's totally lame. good things never go out of style, we still have the lp . period .

perhaps the 'x' technology might fit right at home in Les Paul's recording studio, whadya' think?

It's too complex for gigs... [thumbdn] Must have been created by a techie geek who doesn't gig.

I already have infinite settings with 3 position toggle, 2-volume, and 2-tone; not to mention additional push-pull, plus all the amp controls...yikes! And I don't use pedals! I'd rather put my efforts to learning new riffs and more practice.

Guest Farnsbarns

Les Paul (himself) might have said the 60's sg, shape wise, the shift from the single cutaway to the devil horns was the worst lp. LP didn't like the change and had gibson take his name of the guitar so it was just the sg (short for solidbody guitar). Early sg's had the les paul name on the headstock.

Let's be real here... Les' endorsement was suspended to minimise his financial losses during his divorce from Mary Ford.

About the LPX, it's not for me (unless I find out I'm filthy rich and I'd forgotten). I do respect the innovation. I wish they'd let me loose on the controls. I'm sure I could come up with a clever, intuitive interface which would vastly improve it.

Let's be real here... Les' endorsement was suspended to minimise his financial losses during his divorce from Mary Ford.

Yes, you're right on this...strictly money issues. I did see a video of Mr. LP talking about it.

I personally switched to the 'humbucker' camp years ago, abandoning the strat/single coil guitar for the lp's classic single cutaway. my alternate is a hollowbody with humbuckers, a jazz guit. someday far away i may stray back to the fender guitar. I don't like fuss when i'm playing, with pedals for example it's pretty much set it and forget it, through the fx loop, reverb, compression, multifx (either pitchshift, tremolo, delay, or sometimes phaser and od amp foot switch. the exception is something like the bow break in dazed and confused where you can twiddle delay knobs to get some fantastic results. pedalboards make me angry and frustrated, don't even get me started on multifx processors with their dozens of simulations. I hate fiddling with foot pedals and fx, guitars to, i hate too many switches and settings, keep it simple. a few classic or necessary fx are all i need, otherwise make it clean or dirty (but make it loud!). just skip the coil tapping and give me a few classic settings to play with!

OMG.........did he say bluetooth.......I thought that was those stupid ear pieces people walk around with.

I guess I'm old, but if I were given one, I think my first step would be to see what I could trade it in on.

NHTom

About the LPX, it's not for me (unless I find out I'm filthy rich and I'd forgotten). I do respect the innovation. I wish they'd let me loose on the controls. I'm sure I could come up with a clever, intuitive interface which would vastly improve it.

This is CORRECT.Les and Mary were going through a nasty divorce.Great players like Clapton,Duane Allman,Dereck Trucks,Frank Marino and a lot of others used/uses the the SG(also Carlos and Angus).They are great TONE machines.

Archived