Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Chunk in a PRS SE Custom

EventHorizon

I need some help figuring out which pickup I can put in the bridge position of my PRS SE Custom to give the lower end that classic, solid chunk my Les Paul has. I tried putting the EVH Wolfgang in there, and while that is a great pickup that made the PRS sound a whole lot better, it was too evenly balanced to get me the sound I want.

The PRS is a double cutaway, 25" scale with a non-floating bridge that I have set flush against the body so it can only do dives. The wood combo is the same as an LP - Mahogany solid body with a set neck and a rosewood fingerboard. The problem is the natural sound of this guitar is it's not thick or punchy enough on the bottom end due to the thinner profile and afore mentioned specs. So I need a pickup that will compensate for that, but one that doesn't sacrifice any edge for higher notes, soloing etc. Also, the overall output is on the tamer/quieter side and I would like something to make it a little louder and "wilder".

The way I see it, the Les Paul gets its classic rock punch from two sources: the natural design of the guitar, and the PAF. Given that the PAF is/was designed to COMPLIMENT the natural tonal qualities of the LP, I don't have faith to just throw in a '57 because I need something to COMPENSATE. Not saying I'm closed off to a '57, I just need some expert advice.

I play rock and traditional metal, but I also like messing around with classical, blues, and anything random that sounds good on a guitar, so I need something that is hot but can also clean up well.

So can anyone recommend a P-up that will push my PRS sound as far in the direction of the beefy, chunky Les Paul without getting muddy or sacrificing anything on the high end?

Much appreciated,

AJ

Hi AJ

I just don't think it's entirely achievable with any set of pickups.

Even if you put a set of classic 57s in there, it's still not going to give you what you're looking for.

The primary tone of a PRS verses a Gibson is just opposite sides of the coin. IMHO only.

My SE is set up just like yours, except that I have it wired w/2 volumes and no tone control.

I never found a pickup I really liked in it, until I put a Gibson 498T, but with an A2 magnet in it.

Nice and chunky, similar to a Duncan Custom Custom.

It's tone now, isn't that far off from my Les Paul . maybe a bit beefier.

My SE is set up just like yours, except that I have it wired w/2 volumes and no tone control.

I never found a pickup I really liked in it, until I put a Gibson 498T, but with an A2 magnet in it.

Nice and chunky, similar to a Duncan Custom Custom.

It's tone now, isn't that far off from my Les Paul . maybe a bit beefier.

Yeah, I've noticed that as my taste has matured I don't like the 498T. It came stock in my LP Studio and I loved it at first, but more recently I was shocked to notice that despite the PRS's current shortcomings I prefer it over my LP's sound! The EHV Wolfgang really does kickass, it's just not tailored to my specific needs in that guitar. Going to throw it in the LP and I'm super excited for that combo 3~.D

Archived