Gibson Brands Forums

J-50 ADJ

j45nick

Do both those guitars have the skinniest necks you have ever seen on a Gibson?

From the pics the neck looks about 1 inch.

BluesKing777.

They would be the 1 9/16" nut which was standard in that period. I was just playing one of mine tonight that has this same nut width, but with a deeper profile, and it really plays quite well if you are reasonably precise with your fingering and picking. It would not be my choice for fingerpicking, but it really is playable.

Ahhh, the wonderful and wacky world of eBay.

Hey, I had actually had a good experience with them tonight. I made an offer on a Lifton guitar case and I swear the seller got back to me in 30 seconds congratulating me on having won the thing.

Gibson seems shrouded with confusion on an awful lot of things these days. [flapper]

You can just email him page 33 of the 1960 Gibson catalog.

I just sent it to him. Any bets on whether or not he responds?

-Nick

Edit:

Got a simple "thanks", but we'll see if he changes the listing. I doubt it.

image-3.jpg

One interesting fact here is the relative price of the cases. At $47, the best hard-shell case in 1960 cost almost 35% of the cost of the guitar itself. For a modern J-45, the would translate into a retail case price of about $700+.

Modern cases are a bargain.

I think I paid $10-$15 for one of the Gibson cardboard cases in 1966, on top of the $50 I paid for my beat-up 1948 J-45. Paid about $40 for a semi-proper hard-shell case three years later. Last year, I paid $150 for a new stock Gibson J-45 case, and $300 for a new custom Cali Girl case. Not sure why modern cases have become so relatively cheap, particularly since both of these new cases I bought were either US or Canadian-built. You can buy a decent Asian-made case for a lot less, which may be driving down the US-made case prices.

• 10 months later...

How's this for a misleading description, from someone who represents himself as a Nashville dealer, no less? Did you know that a late-60's J-50 ADJ was one built with Advanced Jumbo characteristics, rather than an adjustable bridge model? LOL!

I did send him a terse but polite message asking him to do his homework and fix his listing. We'll see if anything happens. For some reason, this type of stuff really frosts me.

My link

I just noticed this when looking up info on my fathers gibson that I inherited. Dad's guitar was purchased brand new in the early to mid 60's and is stamped J50adj inside but it does not have an adjustable bridge. now I am curious.post-63846-040525100 1393946770_thumb.jpg

I just noticed this when looking up info on my fathers gibson that I inherited. Dad's guitar was purchased brand new in the early to mid 60's and is stamped J50adj inside but it does not have an adjustable bridge. now I am curious.post-63846-040525100 1393946770_thumb.jpg

Look closely at the top of the bridge in the area of the saddle. It was fairly common to convert these adjustable saddles to fixed saddles by removing the adjustable saddle, filling the cut-out with rosewood flush to the top of the bridge, and routing a slot in the top for a fixed saddle. Sometimes this is so well done (matched grain) that you can barely see it.

If that is not the case, it's possible that the guitar came from the factory with a fixed bridge, and was stamped incorrectly.

That's a really, really nice-looking J-50. I hope you keep it, since it was your father's.

What's the neck width at the nut, by the way?

Never overestimate the intelligence of the masses.

That's what gets me mad is that this guy's used car salesman tactics could actually lead to someone spending that dough on this. With full might of the internet, gbase, reverb, this site, access to reasonable information on quality, condition, and price has never been easier- why would someone unwittingly believe the seller of an item solely?

do your homework kids, and you'll get good grades

Look closely at the top of the bridge in the area of the saddle. It was fairly common to convert these adjustable saddles to fixed saddles by removing the adjustable saddle, filling the cut-out with rosewood flush to the top of the bridge, and routing a slot in the top for a fixed saddle. Sometimes this is so well done (matched grain) that you can barely see it.

If that is not the case, it's possible that the guitar came from the factory with a fixed bridge, and was stamped incorrectly.

That's a really, really nice-looking J-50. I hope you keep it, since it was your father's.

What's the neck width at the nut, by the way?

I will have to look at it when I go to mom's again. I am leaving it there at the family house until she passes. I do not remember anybody doing any work to it so I am guessing it was just mis-stamped. I do not plan on ever selling it. It sings better every year it ages! Wish I could say that about me. LOL

I will have to look at it when I go to mom's again. I am leaving it there at the family house until she passes. I do not remember anybody doing any work to it so I am guessing it was just mis-stamped. I do not plan on ever selling it. It sings better every year it ages! Wish I could say that about me. LOL

Doc, at some point you should ask your mom to let you take it home. I've seen items such as this get lost in the jumble of cleaning out the family home after the owner passes on. There might also be a risk of your mom giving it away without thinking about it.

I'm not trying to be hard on your mom, just realistic, as I've seen it happen before.

Doc, at some point you should ask your mom to let you take it home. I've seen items such as this get lost in the jumble of cleaning out the family home after the owner passes on. There might also be a risk of your mom giving it away without thinking about it.

I'm not trying to be hard on your mom, just realistic, as I've seen it happen before.

I fully understand. It was my dads wishes that it remain there since all my sisters husbands play guitar as well as a couple of the grand kids. Every one knows that it is mine and I don't expect there to be any trouble but one never really knows.

Archived