Gibson Guitar Board: New Gary Moore Standard - Gibson Guitar Board

Jump to content

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

New Gary Moore Standard nice

#1 User is offline   Rabs 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5337
  • Joined: 15-January 12
  • LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:53 PM

And at a fairly decent price for once (well compared to most the usual artist models)
(notice that reversed pup)

http://www2.gibson.c...l-Standard.aspx

$3,582
•Mahogany body with figured grade-AA maple top
•Mahogany neck with rounded ’50s profile
•Granadillo fingerboard with acrylic trapezoid inlays
•BurstBucker Pro pickups in the neck and bridge positions
•Orange Drop tone capacitors
•TonePros™ Kluson green-key tuners with 16:1 ratio

Posted Image
"Im the one thats going to have to die when its time for me to die. So let me live my life, the way I WANT TOO" Jimi Hendrix

#2 User is offline   Kennis 

  • Goldmember
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 438
  • Joined: 20-June 12
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:18 PM

Very nice.
any opinions on why he reversed the neck pickup?
I believe maybe the slug coil has a slightly higher output, making the tone it gives just a little bit warmer.. I've tried it, and couldn't really tell that much difference. looks neat though [thumbup]
2012 Gibson Midtown Custom w/BKP "The Mule"s + Jimmy Page wiring
2011 Gibson Flying V "Tremolo" w/Floyd Rose (current setup a Frankenstein or various spare parts)
2003 Gibson Flying V Faded w/stock neck pup and '81 Zebra Dirtyfingers in the bridge
2000 Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic w/Burstbucker 2 & 3

Marshall JCM 2000 TSL60
Orange 2x12 Cab

#3 User is offline   AXE® 

  • Six String Soldier
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 9724
  • Joined: 02-March 08

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

Gary was a mean drunk & said my dog was ugly. Posted Image
Posted ImageDon't Quote Me.

#4 User is offline   Rabs 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5337
  • Joined: 15-January 12
  • LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

View PostKennis, on 23 April 2013 - 02:18 PM, said:

Very nice.
any opinions on why he reversed the neck pickup?
I believe maybe the slug coil has a slightly higher output, making the tone it gives just a little bit warmer.. I've tried it, and couldn't really tell that much difference. looks neat though [thumbup]

Yeah I think its meant to have some sort of out of phase sound

"The neck pickup of Green's Les Paul was magnetically reversed (North and South poles of the pickup magnet were actually backwards relative to a "normal" Les Paul neck pickup). This gave his "in-between" tone a very unique, almost "sour" tonal character - "Need Your Love So Bad" and "Love That Burns" are both great examples of this unique guitar tone."
"Im the one thats going to have to die when its time for me to die. So let me live my life, the way I WANT TOO" Jimi Hendrix

#5 User is offline   Kennis 

  • Goldmember
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 438
  • Joined: 20-June 12
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

View PostRabs, on 23 April 2013 - 02:24 PM, said:

Yeah I think its meant to have some sort of out of phase sound

"The neck pickup of Green's Les Paul was magnetically reversed (North and South poles of the pickup magnet were actually backwards relative to a "normal" Les Paul neck pickup). This gave his "in-between" tone a very unique, almost "sour" tonal character - "Need Your Love So Bad" and "Love That Burns" are both great examples of this unique guitar tone."


just turning the pickup 180° doesn't set it out of phase, you'd need to reverse it's polarity, or simply switch the ground and output connectors, to get an out-of-phase sound. I believe Peter Green's Paul had one of the pickups wound in the opposite direction by accident.

I've got out-of-phase with optional series or parallel installed on my Midtown. Great sound [thumbup]
2012 Gibson Midtown Custom w/BKP "The Mule"s + Jimmy Page wiring
2011 Gibson Flying V "Tremolo" w/Floyd Rose (current setup a Frankenstein or various spare parts)
2003 Gibson Flying V Faded w/stock neck pup and '81 Zebra Dirtyfingers in the bridge
2000 Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic w/Burstbucker 2 & 3

Marshall JCM 2000 TSL60
Orange 2x12 Cab

#6 User is offline   rct 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2622
  • Joined: 31-March 11
  • LocationSouthern New Jersey

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

Again?

rct

#7 User is offline   AXE® 

  • Six String Soldier
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 9724
  • Joined: 02-March 08

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:53 PM

I guess it's for the people who didn't get the Peter Green model.

lolz

Posted Image

Posted ImageDon't Quote Me.

#8 User is offline   surfpup 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 6782
  • Joined: 26-May 08

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:21 PM

If you have not heard the story of the Peter Green (and later Gary Moore) Les Paul - you should Google it. It's quite and interesting tale.

FWIW, I flip the neck pup of my LPs around too - though not to get and out-of-phase tone. That would take flipping the magnets like Peter reportedly did or a Jimmy Page type switching scheme. Personally if I want to get a Tele type sound, I'll use a Tele and not an LP. [flapper] My reason for flipping the pickup is that puts the adjustable pole pieces closer to the middle. Then, by raising them, I can subtly reduce the bassy, woofiness of the neck pickup. Makes more sense to me that way. It's not a huge difference, but I prefer it. Try it. You might like it.

Posted Image
Posted Image
___________________________

"Golf is for people who can't surf"

#9 User is offline   Kennis 

  • Goldmember
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 438
  • Joined: 20-June 12
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:54 PM

View Postsurfpup, on 23 April 2013 - 05:21 PM, said:

If you have not heard the story of the Peter Green (and later Gary Moore) Les Paul - you should Google it. It's quite and interesting tale.

FWIW, I flip the neck pup of my LPs around too - though not to get and out-of-phase tone. That would take flipping the magnets like Peter reportedly did or a Jimmy Page type switching scheme. Personally if I want to get a Tele type sound, I'll use a Tele and not an LP. [flapper] My reason for flipping the pickup is that puts the adjustable pole pieces closer to the middle. Then, by raising them, I can subtly reduce the bassy, woofiness of the neck pickup. Makes more sense to me that way. It's not a huge difference, but I prefer it. Try it. You might like it.

Posted Image


Very interesting! [thumbup]
2012 Gibson Midtown Custom w/BKP "The Mule"s + Jimmy Page wiring
2011 Gibson Flying V "Tremolo" w/Floyd Rose (current setup a Frankenstein or various spare parts)
2003 Gibson Flying V Faded w/stock neck pup and '81 Zebra Dirtyfingers in the bridge
2000 Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic w/Burstbucker 2 & 3

Marshall JCM 2000 TSL60
Orange 2x12 Cab

#10 User is offline   AXE® 

  • Six String Soldier
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 9724
  • Joined: 02-March 08

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:48 PM

Wonder if it has a long tenon? Posted Image
Posted ImageDon't Quote Me.

#11 User is offline   rct 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2622
  • Joined: 31-March 11
  • LocationSouthern New Jersey

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:56 PM

View PostAXE®, on 23 April 2013 - 06:48 PM, said:

Wonder if it has a long tenon? Posted Image


Yes, but it's reversed.

rct

#12 User is offline   btoth76 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3351
  • Joined: 14-July 10
  • LocationLeányvár, Hungary

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:04 AM

I saw that beauty on one of the Musikmesse pictures. Very, very nice! I am very tempted. Unfortunately, I have to follow the one-guitar-per-year rule. [thumbdn]

Definitely the website says "reversed pickup" and doesn't mentions out-of-phase. That's bad.

Cheers... Bence
_________________________________

2010 Gibson LP Studio 50's Tribute GT - 2011 Gibson LP Classic Custom AN - 1978 Gibson LP Recording WB - 2011 Gibson L6S SB
2010 Fender FSR Standard Ash Telecaster Butterscotch Blonde (Baja modded)

Böhm-Regent amplification
VOX Wah V845 - Ibanez effects - Zoom MS-50G - Stereo Tremolo Pan - EP Booster - Diablo Plus

#13 User is offline   D28boy 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 178
  • Joined: 23-October 11
  • LocationHampshire, U.K

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:12 AM

View PostAXE®, on 23 April 2013 - 02:24 PM, said:

Gary was a mean drunk & said my dog was ugly. Posted Image


actually Gary told me that you were ugly and your dog was a mean SOB [flapper]
LP Studio '87 in Black
Fender Squier Strat MIJ '92 in Black
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 watt half stack in.......
Martin D28 in brown

#14 User is offline   lashurst 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3051
  • Joined: 12-May 10
  • LocationBirmingham. UK

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:05 AM

I wouldn't say it was well priced. Really, it's just a studio with a nice top. Hence it's more expensive in reality than the other artist models.

#15 User is online   daveg 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 159
  • Joined: 27-December 08

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:51 AM

Wes tried reversing the pickup on his L5.

I seem to remember that he thought that moving the pole pieces away from the harmonic would improve things.

He didn't keep it that way for long.

DG

#16 User is offline   Searcy 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 6071
  • Joined: 21-March 10
  • LocationNashville

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:07 AM

Wow... a reproduction of a 59 Les Paul. This time in a tasteful burst. [mellow]

#17 User is offline   Thunderchild 

  • Blessed
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 383
  • Joined: 16-December 11
  • LocationOhio

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:12 AM

View PostD28boy, on 24 April 2013 - 02:12 AM, said:

actually Gary told me that you were ugly and your dog was a mean SOB [flapper]

did he say any thing about AXE's tenon [confused]

#18 User is online   pippy 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 9060
  • Joined: 21-July 08
  • LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:13 AM

View Postlashurst, on 24 April 2013 - 06:05 AM, said:

I wouldn't say it was well priced. Really, it's just a studio with a nice top. Hence it's more expensive in reality than the other artist models.

I couldn't agree more. $3.5k for a prettied-up studio? Crazy.

And even the 'nice top' is just a regular AA.

I agree that it's in a Very Nice Colour but what, exactly, is so special about the specs?
They've put the neck pup on back-to-front and mis-matched the knobs. Somehow this makes it an Artists' Sig?

P.

#19 User is offline   AXE® 

  • Six String Soldier
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 9724
  • Joined: 02-March 08

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:20 AM

Not even based on historic specs.

No ABR - No long tenon. pffft!

Fail.
Posted ImageDon't Quote Me.

#20 User is offline   btoth76 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3351
  • Joined: 14-July 10
  • LocationLeányvár, Hungary

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:31 AM

Ah yes!

I was blinded by Her beauty...

Now, - looking at the specs -, well... that's a Studio, not a Standard. Which is not anything that's bad at all, for - let's say - 1000$ worth of Euros. But 3500$ is indeed very funny.

Cheers... Bence
_________________________________

2010 Gibson LP Studio 50's Tribute GT - 2011 Gibson LP Classic Custom AN - 1978 Gibson LP Recording WB - 2011 Gibson L6S SB
2010 Fender FSR Standard Ash Telecaster Butterscotch Blonde (Baja modded)

Böhm-Regent amplification
VOX Wah V845 - Ibanez effects - Zoom MS-50G - Stereo Tremolo Pan - EP Booster - Diablo Plus

Share this topic:


  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users