Gibson Brands Forums

New Gary Moore Standard

Rabs

And at a fairly decent price for once (well compared to most the usual artist models)

(notice that reversed pup)

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Gary-Moore-Les-Paul-Standard.aspx

$3,582

•Mahogany body with figured grade-AA maple top

•Mahogany neck with rounded ’50s profile

•Granadillo fingerboard with acrylic trapezoid inlays

•BurstBucker Pro pickups in the neck and bridge positions

•Orange Drop tone capacitors

•TonePros™ Kluson green-key tuners with 16:1 ratio

Splasscscsch-02_zps96678a93.jpg

Very nice.

any opinions on why he reversed the neck pickup?

I believe maybe the slug coil has a slightly higher output, making the tone it gives just a little bit warmer.. I've tried it, and couldn't really tell that much difference. looks neat though [thumbup]

Very nice.

any opinions on why he reversed the neck pickup?

I believe maybe the slug coil has a slightly higher output, making the tone it gives just a little bit warmer.. I've tried it, and couldn't really tell that much difference. looks neat though [thumbup]

Yeah I think its meant to have some sort of out of phase sound

"The neck pickup of Green's Les Paul was magnetically reversed (North and South poles of the pickup magnet were actually backwards relative to a "normal" Les Paul neck pickup). This gave his "in-between" tone a very unique, almost "sour" tonal character - "Need Your Love So Bad" and "Love That Burns" are both great examples of this unique guitar tone."

Yeah I think its meant to have some sort of out of phase sound

"The neck pickup of Green's Les Paul was magnetically reversed (North and South poles of the pickup magnet were actually backwards relative to a "normal" Les Paul neck pickup). This gave his "in-between" tone a very unique, almost "sour" tonal character - "Need Your Love So Bad" and "Love That Burns" are both great examples of this unique guitar tone."

just turning the pickup 180° doesn't set it out of phase, you'd need to reverse it's polarity, or simply switch the ground and output connectors, to get an out-of-phase sound. I believe Peter Green's Paul had one of the pickups wound in the opposite direction by accident.

I've got out-of-phase with optional series or parallel installed on my Midtown. Great sound [thumbup]

If you have not heard the story of the Peter Green (and later Gary Moore) Les Paul - you should Google it. It's quite and interesting tale.

FWIW, I flip the neck pup of my LPs around too - though not to get and out-of-phase tone. That would take flipping the magnets like Peter reportedly did or a Jimmy Page type switching scheme. Personally if I want to get a Tele type sound, I'll use a Tele and not an LP. [flapper] My reason for flipping the pickup is that puts the adjustable pole pieces closer to the middle. Then, by raising them, I can subtly reduce the bassy, woofiness of the neck pickup. Makes more sense to me that way. It's not a huge difference, but I prefer it. Try it. You might like it.

Screenshot2013-04-23at72221PM.png

If you have not heard the story of the Peter Green (and later Gary Moore) Les Paul - you should Google it. It's quite and interesting tale.

FWIW, I flip the neck pup of my LPs around too - though not to get and out-of-phase tone. That would take flipping the magnets like Peter reportedly did or a Jimmy Page type switching scheme. Personally if I want to get a Tele type sound, I'll use a Tele and not an LP. [flapper] My reason for flipping the pickup is that puts the adjustable pole pieces closer to the middle. Then, by raising them, I can subtly reduce the bassy, woofiness of the neck pickup. Makes more sense to me that way. It's not a huge difference, but I prefer it. Try it. You might like it.

Screenshot2013-04-23at72221PM.png

Very interesting! [thumbup]

I saw that beauty on one of the Musikmesse pictures. Very, very nice! I am very tempted. Unfortunately, I have to follow the one-guitar-per-year rule. [thumbdn]

Definitely the website says "reversed pickup" and doesn't mentions out-of-phase. That's bad.

Cheers... Bence

I wouldn't say it was well priced. Really, it's just a studio with a nice top. Hence it's more expensive in reality than the other artist models.

I couldn't agree more. $3.5k for a prettied-up studio? Crazy.

And even the 'nice top' is just a regular AA.

I agree that it's in a Very Nice Colour but what, exactly, is so special about the specs?

They've put the neck pup on back-to-front and mis-matched the knobs. Somehow this makes it an Artists' Sig?

P.

Ah yes!

I was blinded by Her beauty...

Now, - looking at the specs -, well... that's a Studio, not a Standard. Which is not anything that's bad at all, for - let's say - 1000$ worth of Euros. But 3500$ is indeed very funny.

Cheers... Bence

I couldn't agree more. $3.5k for a prettied-up studio? Crazy.

And even the 'nice top' is just a regular AA.

I agree that it's in a Very Nice Colour but what, exactly, is so special about the specs?

They've put the neck pup on back-to-front and mis-matched the knobs. Somehow this makes it an Artists' Sig?

P.

True.

Here's mine:

* LP Standard faded $1400

* BKP PG Blues pickups (Out of phase in middle pos ) $300

* Mismatched knobs $20

A total of $ 1720 !!

Case closed.

3.5 k is just ridiculous!

Your's is even better because, as Bence pointed out a bit earlier, the new Sig hasn't even got a flipped magnet - they've simply turned the p'up around!

(And I always had a soft spot for the Standard Faded in any case)

Gibson should have re-introduced that guitar instead of this one IMHO...

[thumbup]

P.

+1.

Binding on both the body and the neck are two of the distinguishing features which separate the Standard from the Studio. To call this model a Standard is almost fraudulent.

I don't have any problems accepting the Granadillo 'board, however.

P.

Archived