Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Custom

Hi, this is my first topic here in this forum!!! I want help to identify this guitar, the year it was build,etc.

I work as a guitar tech and luthier and I have a client that owns this guitar. He bought it years ago in Portugal from an American musician and as you can see from the pictures the guitar as been stored and not played for many years. I haven´t had the chance to see the guitar "personally", only the pictures, and here in Portugal we don´t have many information about old instruments, so I came here to get some help from more informed and expert people!!!

I searched for the information related to the serial number but didn´t find any information.

The tuning machines have been changed but the older ones are in the pictures, the control knobs are different from any Les Paul that I have seen, but the owner already bought it that way. All the other parts and electronic are original. The serial number it´s a litlle bit faded.

This guitar was bought used in the 70´s from a musician, not a store, and my client said that at that time it was already old!!

Hope you can give me some information, the owner wants to restore it to sell, but wants to know more about it´s history!

I can send these and other photos by email, I had to reduce the size of them and couldn´t post all of them

Thanx!

post-56361-078914600 1366908299_thumb.jpg

post-56361-010069300 1366908319_thumb.jpg

post-56361-078735600 1366908332_thumb.jpg

post-56361-095650500 1366908358_thumb.jpg

post-56361-068172400 1366908380_thumb.jpg

post-56361-096912400 1366908530_thumb.jpg

What is the serial number?

What are the potentiometer codes?

Hi!! Thanx for the reply!!!

The pontenciometers codes are TX 1158 500k AT

The serial number I´m not sure it´s a little faded. I thin it´s

852036A

or

852096A

or

85203GA

or

85209GA

But UI can send you pictures if you want.

What is the serial number?

What are the potentiometer codes?

I´ve already seen that the potenciometer code that I posted is not the one that you asked me!!! When I have it I will poste!!

But when I have it I also will know the information that you would give me, learning is a beautiful thing!!!

Hello and welcome to the Forums!

That Black Beauty was made around 1969.

Cheers... Bence

Thanx!!! The owner thinks that it´s older, maybe maybe not. But it´s a Black Beauty no doubt about it. And those knobs? I´ve never seen one with these kind of knobs, could they be original? The owner already bought it , used, like that in the 70s.

And the winner is ...................btoth76!!!! You were right it was made in 1969. The potenciometer code is 137 69 XX (I don´t remember the last 2 numbers, the "week". Or 22 or 28!!!)

Does anyone know were I can find a data base or a list with prices. The price of the product at the time it was launched and the price that could be worth now!

Thanx!!! The owner thinks that it´s older, maybe maybe not. But it´s a Black Beauty no doubt about it. And those knobs? I´ve never seen one with these kind of knobs, could they be original? The owner already bought it , used, like that in the 70s.

Hello Marco!

The pot knobs are not original for sure. Most likely it had "reflector" knobs.

If it's older, than it's a 1968 model - which doesn't make a big difference in price or whatever. These models were out of production between 1961 and 1968.

Cheers... Bence

Hello Marco!

The pot knobs are not original for sure. Most likely it had "reflector" knobs.

If it's older, than it's a 1968 model - which doesn't make a big difference in price or whatever. These models were out of production between 1961 and 1968.

Cheers... Bence

Hi!!! You were right, it´s from 1969 because the pots have the code 137 69 xx, if they are original the guitar couldn´t be more old then that.

Do you now, more or less, how much could that guitar worth?

Hello Marco!

I made a search on German Ebay for that year's Customs and the results were between 4000-11000 Euros. And to be honest: all of them seem to be in better condition than Yours. No bidding is going on there...

Cheers... Bence

Hello Marco!

I made a search on German Ebay for that year's Customs and the results were between 4000-11000 Euros. And to be honest: all of them seem to be in better condition than Yours. No bidding is going on there...

Cheers... Bence

Hi you are right, the guitar is in bad shape, but if it´s going to be sold I´m going to restore it. I´ve already searched for Kluson Super tuners Waffleback, I´ve found new ones and used from the same year of the guitar. The only thing that I´m not going to do is apply new finish, as I´ve seen in lots of vintage guitars on sale!!! The guitar is going to be sold as good as the original construction allows me to!!

• 2 weeks later...

Man, someone treated that guitar like crap!! It looks like it was sitting under a bed without a case.

You are right, this guitar doesn´t "feel love" for a long time!!! The owner didn´t open the case for years, I´m hopping that he decides to bring her to me to restore!!!

Archived