Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone own a j-45 with rosewood back and sides?

aerohead

Check out thread last post on Apr26. OP Juan Carlos put up video of one. Very, very nice guitar, but most of discussion was about the tuners.

The J45 Customi isthe current model w rosewood B&S, and it looks like there is now a version, maybe for 5 star dealers, with a honey burst face.

I love the tone of the custom, but not into the bling. In the late 90's ? Early 2000's Gibson was making a regular J-45R. I loved that guitar, but couldn't afford one. I keep watching ebay, & other sources, but they seem to have disappeared from the face of the earth.

I guess people who have them like them because they don't seem to be parting with them.

I had a '95 J45 Deluxe. It was a short scale, with rw b&s, and centennial "bling". It had the clearness expected in a rw slope dread, plenty of volume (although I had it set up very low), very balanced compared to my AJ, it refused to "muddy up" no matter how hard it was played. The short scale a joy to play! I miss the short scale as everything I currently own is long scale. The j45 deluxe I used to have is owned by a forum member maybe he'll weigh in. I bought it because I wanted short scale playability with a little more volume and punch. It was not disappointing in any way.

I own an J45 Custom and love it. I find it very balanced and because I tend to fingerpick more than strum the tone suits me perfect. I like the overtones and have never thought too much about volume. I tend to play quietly in the house and I don't gig. I've listened to my friend playing it, quite aggressively, and it certainly has volume when you need it.

I A/B'd it against an SJ TV recently and in my opinion the SJ had more volume and the tone was more focussed - probably due to the mahogany b&s.

I have one, a Vine model. I always describe the tone as lush. It's almost as if two guitars were playing at once--not in volume, but in density of the sound.

Here's a picture of it with its sibling, a J-185 Vine.

picture126q.jpg

Red 333

I have one, a Vine model. I always describe the tone as lush. It's almost as if two guitars were playing at once--not in volume, but in density of the sound.

picture126q.jpg

Red 333

Red ,

you killed me with the bling . love them both !

JC

1367252188[/url]' post='1368271']

I wear my sparkly jumpsuit and cape when I play them.

Lol nice! I love the sound of my SJ-200 Custom so much that I really want the Rosewood rich tone in a J-45. Even though I have yet to own a J-45 and I know the classic J-45 tonewood combination also has giant tone, I now have a weakness for the Rosewood sound! I'm now obviously biased and am hoping to hear from someone that either owns both or has had a chance to play both extensively. I know it's all down to my ear but would still like to hear from the j-45 owners.

picture126q.jpg

Red 333

Looking for the "Fainted" emoticon... OMG [thumbup]

I have a J-45 standard and have been interested in the J-45 Custom rosewood. Searching the internet, the consensus is the rosewood has deeper bass and more overtones. However, I listened to a YouTube comparison of the mahogany vs rosewood J-45's using high quality earphones. I could not hear a significant difference between the two, albeit the internet is not the same as auditioning in person.

Here you can hear clips from the CD companion to my book:

"The Light Still Burns"

laurenSheehan.jpg

This page lists the guitars on each track (the CD itself comes with a booklet with descriptions and high-res pics of each guitar). Track number 11, "Hared Time," was recorded with a rosewood SJ. You can compare that to tracks with mahogany SJs and J-45s.

And here is my comparison of mahogany and rosewood SJs, which, as we all know, are just gussied-up J-45s;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb-mGfC-vfI

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot to post the photo of my J-45 Custom and I do like the gold w/ appointments. Pretty tame but not so bland IMHO. Love the sound of the Rosewood as I do enjoy a guitar that has some top end along with the mids & good deep lows. Not bright like his friend The Dove, but I like the Custom just as it is. Otherwise it would be just a dupl. of the Dove in sound. They both give me what I want from them in tone. Would highly recommend a Custom if you are in the market.

Aster

DoveJ45.jpg

Archived