Gibson Brands Forums

Please help with identifying this old Gibson acoustic

My wife and I were given this old Gibson that was her grandfathers. Can any of you guys identify what I have here? There are no stamping serial numbers on the back of the headstock like typical Gibsons and nothing on the inside but some numbers and lettering on the neck block. They are a little faded but the best I can make out is:

D668 6

No other lettering or model identification anywhere on this guitar inside or out. The Grover tuners are replacements and there are some old holes that have been filled and varnished. Looks like the originals were 3-in-a-line but I am not sure. The original bridge pins are white and sort of messed up so the bridge pins in the pictures are some I had that I used when I re-strung it.

MEASUREMENTS

Nut Width: 1 11/15"

Upper Bout (Top): 11 1/2"

Upper Bout (Side Width): 4"

Middle (Top): 10 3/4"

Middle (Side Width): 4 3/8"

Lower Bout: 16"

Lower Bout Side Width): 4 3/4"

G1_zps492e4f74.jpg

G2_zps6db70b3a.jpg

G3_zps61d324d3.jpg

G4_zpsbe19a151.jpg

G5_zps7f84c827.jpg

G6_zpsf7246a2f.jpg

G7_zps319530d5.jpg

G8_zps60b5d5e9.jpg

G9_zps237bd354.jpg

G10_zpsae2171d9.jpg

I'm not the expert around here, but I would post this up on the Acoustic Forum. Those guys can really I.D. if for you.

With my limited knowledge here's my two cents but there's too much I do not know-

The tuners have been replaced. These are newer tuners not the era of the guitar and you can see the old holes.

There looks to be a few more numbers inked on the block.

From the reference I have the D prefix dates it to 1938.

The pickguard looks like something from the late 50's and there appears to be cracks beneath it.

The decal logo should narrow it down also.

The belly up bridge. I'm not sure when they appeared.

Good luck.

Archived