Gibson Brands Forums

How to Safely take an acoustic on a Plane?

Rocksully

If I am taking my guitar with me to another country, how can I do so without it being damaged in the shipment? I know that with air pressure, temperature, and movement within a plane as well as being handled roughly at the airport can damage the guitar, and currently I just have the custom Gibson acoustic case. Is this strong enough to handle the shipment of the guitar without damage? Is there anything I need to do to the guitar before traveling with it? Thanks guys.

Purchase a proper flight case from http://www.oceancase.com -- these are far superior to Gator cases. The Gator is made of plastic - the Ocean Case is aluminum and wood.

Slacken the strings at least three steps and make sure the guitar's humidity is around 50% prior to departure. A dry or wet guitar will suffer more in the altitude and temperature.

Don't open the case at your destination for at least one hour.

Enjoy your trip.

The Gator G-Tour Flight Case that I gave the link for is made of "5mm marine-grade plywood, aluminum tongue and groove corner extrusion with triple chromeplated recessed latches and spring-loaded heavy duty handles". I couldn't find anything about plastic being used in this model.

if you know you have to check it than a flight case is your only real safety sadly some of the aluminum and pelican style cases cost almost as much as the guitar did. another option is the suspension cases that you put your guitar case inside and it holds them suspended away from bangs and dings. Ive had really good luck with them in flights and even packing in vans and trucks for travel. they are heavy, huge and clumsy but there safe and thats what counts. there so big with my McPherson in it's case with a caseextreme shipping case I feel more like a piano player.

www.casextreme.com

Most airlines will allow you to bring it as a "carry on". Call the airline to find out the overhead compartment dimensions, and as long as your case will fit, you should have no problem. The flight attendants usually think it's pretty cool and will help store it within the main cabin if you check in late. The main cabin is obviously climate controlled, and will therefore make your guitar as comfortable as the traveler. I travel quite a bit, but I carry an electric so it doesn't have as big of a footprint. Happy journeys.

I understand that. I'm just not sure the Fedex baggage system' date=' which is largely automated, would be any kinder.[/quote']

Maybe not any kinder, but the chances of it getting "lost" with an airline are far greater than with a company like FedEx. I've had one too many hiccups with airlines to trust them with anything more valuable than PJ's and flip flops.

Archived