Gibson Brands Forums

Kalamazoo one off? Prototype? very early model?

Tatsuo

Hey guys, I recently got this guitar, it's a Gibson Kalamazoo, but the issue is that supposedly they were all MDF construction, this body is quite clearly not MDF and I was looking for some information on it. I am trying to date it and figure out exactly what I have here. Any Kalamazoo experts out there? Thanks for your help.

post-56638-034624200 1367694739_thumb.jpg

post-56638-037155500 1367694745_thumb.jpg

post-56638-059774200 1367694750_thumb.jpg

post-56638-040266900 1367694754_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I recently got this guitar, it's a Gibson Kalamazoo, but the issue is that supposedly they were all MDF construction, this body is quite clearly not MDF and I was looking for some information on it. I am trying to date it and figure out exactly what I have here. Any Kalamazoo experts out there? Thanks for your help.

I would say go get it appraised. The chance of finding someone who knows what it is is slim. It could be a one off prototype, or a production run. Take it to an expert.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread but I also have a wood Kalamazoo body, and another one sold on Ebay last month. In all cases they had the dark brown body, however each one has a different pickup and tailpiece configuration. Mine has what looks like authentic routing and body cuts unlike what a typical home made replacement body usually looks like. Does anyone have more information?

Thanks,

Rich

Archived