Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Dot vs Cort Source

Alan189

I've been searching for a ES-335 type guitar for a while, decided to give up the earch for a ES-355 or 335 pro

Played a Cort Source (chery red with neck binding), pickups were amazing aswell, played this guitar through a Marshall DSL and it sounded amazing.

The Cort is a wee bit more expensive than the Dot (£100 or so) but for me I could definitely feel the difference.

Just wondering if anyone else has experience of Cort guitars? I must admit, I don't know much about them, in fact, I know hee haw!

Cort makes some good quality instruments, however the management of the firm has engaged in some truly reprehensible business practices including firing all the workers who were trying to negotiate for decent working conditions. Cort has forced its workers to endure ridiculously long hours with no breaks and many other conditions which would not be tolerated in the West; there is an international boycott of their products underway ehich you can easily find out more about by Googling.

Samick, Peerless, Saein, and other South Korean manufacturers have been much more progressive in terms of fairness to their workers.

If you must buy a Cort, perhaps you could find a used one so as not to support the manufacterer's exploitation of the people who make the instruments.

Thats a real shame, thanks for the insight Parabar.

I've seen a used one and I'm going to check it out.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for any tasty Epiphone's as well though.

Thanks

Well, I took the plunge and bought myself a Cort Source 335.

This thing is amazing. It would easily rival any Gibson ES-335 I've ever played and the neck on this guitar is near the exact same as my Gibson Les Paul.

What a machine.

Currently playing it through a Marshall JCM 2000.

Hadn't a clue. IMHO further support of this company or it's partners is just plain wrong!

Glenn

I've seen those and was saddened. However, it is the Internet, and baseless invented "scandal" on the Internet is the rule rather than the exception. Buyer and reader beware and be smart.

I've seen those and was saddened. However, it is the Internet, and baseless invented "scandal" on the Internet is the rule rather than the exception. Buyer and reader beware and be smart.

Well the Korean plants apparently weren't profitable enough for them so they reportedly switched to China, read about the Apple IPhone worker's and their situation, a while back. It is on the internet though..... Good advice on being aware about the what and whom!

Glenn

• 4 years later...

Cort receeived a favorable judgment from the Supreme Court of Korea. That ended their liability to terminated employees. The court found the closure of the plant, and the layoffs justified.

THey make fine instruments, and sometimes you have to be business focused, in order to stay in business.

Archived