Gibson Brands Forums

Leo Kottke's Gibson B45-12 on eBay

zombywoof

There are several things wrong with this guitar: The headstock---why is there no clear view of the front of the headstock? The B45-12 headstock featured a gold Gibson decal and two mother of pearl triangles. The tuners are not the originals. The originals were 6 on a plate Klusons with white plastic knobs. The black paint on the back is not original and I suspect that the front of the headstock has been painted black also....probably to hide a headstock crack or break which was repaired. I suspect that the front of the headstock was repaired and the inlays lost/left off before the finish was applied. If I was going to buy this guitar, I would ask for a clear frontal view of the instrument's headstock. If a headstock repair was not performed on this guitar, then why go through the trouble of painting the back (where the serial number was)? Strange!

Bob

Too much sob in the story for me... I'm homeless but I have this guitar blah blah...

It's like the stories you get off beggars at bus stations. Selling a guitar of that level of interest to a crowd should be done professionally rather than bu a poor me story.

It's just trying too hard.. Makes me sense a ratty whiff.

Looks to be the same guitar being used in this vid. Note the Lawrence pickup in the guitar in the vid. Same as on the eBay guitar. The guitar in the video though, as well as missing the pickguard, appears to be quite more road worn than the one on eBay.

• 8 years later...

This was my guitar. It was owned and played by Kottke. You can pretend that you’re detectives and super knowledgeable but you’re not. Bill of sale in his handwriting. I offered his personal phone number with the sale so you could call him and ask him. Gave his company’s address. Offers screenshots of the emails. If you can’t handle it, who cares. 

This outrage has been simmering in you to the point eight years later you still feel the need to express it?  

Other than that how do you like Kansas?  I lived there for around ten years.  Some great guitar shops.   The Kansas Guitar Exchange and Mass Street Music could always bring a smile to my face.  

On 6/7/2021 at 9:58 AM, zombywoof said:

This outrage has been simmering in you to the point eight years later you still feel the need to express it?  

Other than that how do you like Kansas?  I lived there for around ten years.  Some great guitar shops.   The Kansas Guitar Exchange and Mass Street Music could always bring a smile to my face.  

Ha!  Didn't even notice the thread was 8 years old  🤪!  Kansas is just fine.  I've been to California and to New York and Kansas is as far away as I could get from both of them.