Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Junior 2013

newb

Hi,

I have seen the new LPJ 2013s and am wondering what are the big differences between these and a LP standard. I understand the price jump is partially due to the lackering and finish on the standard, as well as the AAA maple top - all which cost $$. But what about the mahogany that the body is made from, is the standard one or two pieces of wood? Is the LPJ multiple pieces? and is the mahogany of the same quality as the standards, or more similar to that of an epiphone?

Thanks

Hi,

I have seen the new LPJ 2013s and am wondering what are the big differences between these and a LP standard. I understand the price jump is partially due to the lackering and finish on the standard, as well as the AAA maple top - all which cost $$. But what about the mahogany that the body is made from, is the standard one or two pieces of wood? Is the LPJ multiple pieces? and is the mahogany of the same quality as the standards, or more similar to that of an epiphone?

Thanks

The LPJ has a maple neck, the standard Les Paul has mahogany. The back is probably a 3-piece instead of a 2-piece. All of the appointments are cheaper as is the finish.

Really, you cannot compare the two (the Standard costs almost 4x as much). If that is all you can afford, that is probably still better than an Epiphone, but it's no where near the same as a $2000 guitar.

The LPJ has a maple neck, the standard Les Paul has mahogany. The back is probably a 3-piece instead of a 2-piece. All of the appointments are cheaper as is the finish.

Really, you cannot compare the two (the Standard costs almost 4x as much). If that is all you can afford, that is probably still better than an Epiphone, but it's no where near the same as a $2000 guitar.

Thanks for the info, yeah I like both this and the epiphone plus tops. If I end up going for this one I want to coil-split it too, I'm not too sure how much more that will cost. As you say it is cheaper material than the LP standard, but still likely better than the epiphone.

Hello!

The LPJ isn't made from cheaper article than the Standard. Actually it's made from the very same materials. Gibson will not buy cheaper mahogany for the lower-range instruments, and more expensive mahogany for the more attractive models. It has the same hardware as well.

The price difference comes from saving on expensive, time-consuming labour, like the application of binding all over the body, and the multiple layers of finish, which is then buffed to high gloss.

The maple neck - opposed to the mahogany - is a special feature, by no means a shortcoming. Personally, I prefer that.

One thing is true, though. Meanwhile the Standards are made with two-piece bodies, the LPJ (and the Tributes) are made from multiple piece of wood (leftovers) glued into blanks once again, which are shaped into a Les Paul body. Usually this is done with great care, with the grain matched. Hard to notice where the pieces are glued together and even harder to hear any difference it makes to a guitar, if it makes any at all.

Cheers... Bence

I am a long time LP Junior aficionado...and they are a completely different guitar to a typical LP...

Originally a lower cost entry level guitar...they caught on and became sought after...

Mainly...IMX...for their huge fun factor, punkability, ease of use, lighter handling, great accessible sounds... [thumbup]

And, as implied, they are a lot lighter weight...

Choices of P90 and H/B(often coil-tapped)...popular with single bridge P/U...

And usually much cheaper to buy than a LP...

V

:-({|=

PS I just checked the spec...and it is more LP than LP Junior...in fact not sure if it is 'Junior' much at all... :blink:

But I enjoyed saying a few words about the Junior anyway... [thumbup]

I'm off to work now and hope y'all have a nice day...

Taxi !!

:blink:

It has the same hardware as well.

Not quite, the "vintage" tuners are why most guitarists installed Grovers until gibson made those standard. The bridge is the standard Tune-o-matic. The Standard as a locking bridge and locking Grovers.

Really, The LPJ is a great guitar for the money. It seems to be a renamed Studio Faded.

My only point was do not compare it to the Standard as you are not even in the same ballpark. If you want a fancier finish with the flame, you will need to step up to a Studio Deluxe at $1400, twice the price. Just remember that the finish is purely for show.

Since you are looking for coil-splitting, check out the Deluxe II (sold at Guitar Center and Musicians Friend). I bought the next step up (Traditional Pro II) and could not be happier.

Not quite, the "vintage" tuners are why most guitarists installed Grovers until gibson made those standard. The bridge is the standard Tune-o-matic. The Standard as a locking bridge and locking Grovers.

Really, The LPJ is a great guitar for the money. It seems to be a renamed Studio Faded.

My only point was do not compare it to the Standard as you are not even in the same ballpark. If you want a fancier finish with the flame, you will need to step up to a Studio Deluxe at $1400, twice the price. Just remember that the finish is purely for show.

Since you are looking for coil-splitting, check out the Deluxe II (sold at Guitar Center and Musicians Friend). I bought the next step up (Traditional Pro II) and could not be happier.

Thanks, I'm actually tossing it up between this and an epi lp standard plus top with the flame and coil-split. The LPJ is about as far as my budget can stretch as I am just a hobbyist guitar player :)

• 7 years later...

I have a 2013 LPJ as well as 2 epiphones- a 1960 tribute plus and one with Probuckers.  My opinion is that the epiphones are great- they sound 95 per cent as good as the Gibson, they're better constructed, and they're much prettier. But the LPJ (which was roughly the same price after a sale) has 100 percent of the Gibson tone, growl and attitude. 

• Confused 1

I have a 2013 LPJ as well as 2 epiphones- a 1960 tribute plus and one with Probuckers.  My opinion is that the epiphones are great- they sound 95 per cent as good as the Gibson, they're better constructed, and they're much prettier. But the LPJ (which was roughly the same price after a sale) has 100 percent of the Gibson tone, growl and attitude.