Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson humbucker? Pickup ID help

This looks like a Gibson hum bucker and it's done in the old style with wooden spacers and PAF sticker. It looks like it's in pretty good shape so it might be one of the more recent reproductions that Gibson is making like a Classic 57.

8625234001_76422a7e68.jpg

The original PAF's had markings from the tools used on the bottom of the feet kind of like yours but yours looks too new.

Check out this link re: old PAF's, you will see what I mean about the marks.

Old PAF's

This looks like a Gibson hum bucker and it's done in the old style with wooden spacers and PAF sticker. It looks like it's in pretty good shape so it might be one of the more recent reproductions that Gibson is making like a Classic 57.

8625234001_76422a7e68.jpg

The original PAF's had markings from the tools used on the bottom of the feet kind of like yours but yours looks too new.

Check out this link re: old PAF's, you will see what I mean about the marks.

Old PAF's

cjsinla,

thank you for taking the time to provide some info. I have actually checked out that info in that link before. Like you pointed out, the pickup has some features that suggest it is older but others that suggest it may not be a very old PAF. For example it does not appear to have brass adjustable pole pieces. But things like the tooling marks, 1 wood spacer ect..I emailed gibson to see if they can tell me anything. In the mean time I will keep asking around. Also I have seen late 50s gibson humbuckers in better shape then mine. So I don't think that really tells the story in every situation. This thing looks old. How old I obviously don't know.

Thanks again.

cjsinla,

thank you for taking the time to provide some info. I have actually checked out that info in that link before. Like you pointed out, the pickup has some features that suggest it is older but others that suggest it may not be a very old PAF. For example it does not appear to have brass adjustable pole pieces. But things like the tooling marks, 1 wood spacer ect..I emailed gibson to see if they can tell me anything. In the mean time I will keep asking around. Also I have seen late 50s gibson humbuckers in better shape then mine. So I don't think that really tells the story in every situation. This thing looks old. How old I obviously don't know.

Thanks again.

How did you happen to come into possession of this pickup?

How did you happen to come into possession of this pickup?

I bought it off a fellow musician..He said when he received it he was told it was an OTPG pickup so he had it checked by his pup winder who said it was an early seymour duncan. I don't believe it is a duncan. I posted on some other forums and in limited responses I was told the sticker does not match the OTPG sticker. I was told it could possibly be a special order/artist request 57 classic. I am not familiar with those and wonder if the single wooden spacer/tooling marks would be common on those pickups?

I bought it off a fellow musician..He said when he received it he was told it was an OTPG pickup so he had it checked by his pup winder who said it was an early seymour duncan. I don't believe it is a duncan. I posted on some other forums and in limited responses I was told the sticker does not match the OTPG sticker. I was told it could possibly be a special order/artist request 57 classic. I am not familiar with those and wonder if the single wooden spacer/tooling marks would be common on those pickups?

The 57 Classics I have do not have the marks on the feet and they read at about 7.7 so yours may not be a 57 classic. I have not taken any of mine apart and do not know if they even have wooden spacers. But, the marking in the feet of yours looks different to me than the pics in that PAF link that I posted.

Also, your pickup is so clean, it's hard to believe that it's 50 years old. But, one of the bobbins does look warped as if its been sitting around for a long time. What color are the windings?

The 57 Classics I have do not have the marks on the feet and they read at about 7.7 so yours may not be a 57 classic. I have not taken any of mine apart and do not know if they even have wooden spacers. But, the marking in the feet of yours looks different to me than the pics in that PAF link that I posted.

Also, your pickup is so clean, it's hard to believe that it's 50 years old. But, one of the bobbins does look warped as if its been sitting around for a long time. What color are the windings?

Somebody on another forum mentioned the same thing about the tooling marks..I have owned numerous sets of 57 classics and they did not have the tooling marks. I am not sure about the wooden spacers either. All my 57C had covers and I never messed with them. Also this pickup does not have the brass screws, and I don't think my sticker is exactly the same as originals either. The windings are copper colored and they are not clean looking. They have a darkish/dirty look to them. I tried to get you an up close pic with my phone but I could not capture them in detail the way the naked eye can.

The oldest ones were copper colored and read about 7.1 had wooden spacers and marks on the feet. You might actually have an older one that has a few things changed out like the base plate and the adjustable pole pieces. There is a gentleman who posts on this forum who works on old pick ups and might be able to give you more information. Try messaging him. His user name is Searcy.

The oldest ones were copper colored and read about 7.1 had wooden spacers and marks on the feet. You might actually have an older one that has a few things changed out like the base plate and the adjustable pole pieces. There is a gentleman who posts on this forum who works on old pick ups and might be able to give you more information. Try messaging him. His user name is Searcy.

Ok great, I will drop him a message. Thank you very much for all your time and help cjsinla. I really appreciate it :)

I cant tell what it is. It looks like a well built modern copy of a PAF. I suspect it some sort of Classic 57 what's had the white sticker removed.

Hey, Searcy, is Gibson making the 57's with wooden spacers?

Hey, Searcy, is Gibson making the 57's with wooden spacers?

Also I have read the reissues square around the circle is not quite like the original. Looking at mine it seems to fit. It is less then perfect with the smaller of the two on the adjustable pole side. I have never looked on a 57 classic at this so I can't say what theres is like.

Archived