• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EB 2013 bass

#41 User is offline   poit57 

• Group: Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:30 AM

I just received my EB Bass in the mail this week. I ordered online because the only Guitar Center in my area did not carry them in stock. In what few reviews I could find before I made my purchase, practically the only complaint was regarding the finish, but no one specifically stated what was wrong with it. I was not expecting what I saw when I opened my case. I completely missed the part in the product description where it says:

"It looks great in the process, too, in your choice of four gorgeous grain-textured nitrocellulose lacquer..."

To me, this looks like an unprofessional finish, especially since it caught me off guard upon opening my case. Just for those who have not seen this bass in person and are wondering what I am talking about, check out the area on the upper horn of my attached picture. You can see the texture in the glare of my light.

As for the sound, I like it so far, but I've only been able to play through my MXR M80 into my computer recording interface. I am planning on taking it up to play on my full rig this afternoon.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: bass texture.jpg

#42 User is offline   gsgbass 

• Road Rex
  • LocationIn this country town, where the laughter sounds........

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:31 PM

The EB's probably don't get the extra coats of nitro, as an SG Std. bass, Heritage Cherry does. The Heritage Cherry finish adds $500.00 buckaroos to an SG Std. bass. That's in all probability a standard nitro finish on your RB. It does add a higher dollar amount to the bass with the extra man labor hours required to apply the extra nitro finish.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
D'Addario: ETB92 Nylon Tapewound Strings
TC Electronic: RH450/BC410

#43 User is offline   Kelvinator 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationBeautiful Fairview, PA

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:15 PM

View Postpoit57, on 07 September 2013 - 07:30 AM, said:

I just received my EB Bass in the mail this week. I ordered online because the only Guitar Center in my area did not carry them in stock. In what few reviews I could find before I made my purchase, practically the only complaint was regarding the finish, but no one specifically stated what was wrong with it. I was not expecting what I saw when I opened my case. I completely missed the part in the product description where it says:

"It looks great in the process, too, in your choice of four gorgeous grain-textured nitrocellulose lacquer..."

To me, this looks like an unprofessional finish, especially since it caught me off guard upon opening my case. Just for those who have not seen this bass in person and are wondering what I am talking about, check out the area on the upper horn of my attached picture. You can see the texture in the glare of my light.

As for the sound, I like it so far, but I've only been able to play through my MXR M80 into my computer recording interface. I am planning on taking it up to play on my full rig this afternoon.

They didn't seem to put a lot of time in the finish... Looks like "grain- textured" is simply not sealing the wood before painting; that saves a lot of steps in the process. It's still on my wish-list anyway. [thumbup]

#44 User is offline   gsgbass 

• Road Rex

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:08 AM

I found a EB in a Sam Ash Saturday afternoon. I gave it a look over, very disappointed in the wood work on it. In the recess cuts on both sides of the body where the neck joins. Flat out, a lousy job of sanding, grinding, or smoothing out the rough areas. It made ma appreciate the body work on an SG Std. bass a lot more. I hoping this isn't indicative of the EB's in general. Some one missed that day in wood shop 101.

#45 User is offline   hsech 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationOgden, Iowa

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:54 PM

I was underwhelmed also when I opened the box, but after putting a set of LaBella flats on it and playing it through my MarkBass for the first time, I've become a true believer.

Posted Image
2013 Gibson Midtown Bass
2013 Gibson EB Bass
2008 Gibson SG Reissue Bass
1969 Fender Mustang Bass
Martin MMV Acoustic
Markbass CMD112 Combo & NY121 Ext Cab
GK MB Fusion Bass Head
GK 1x15 Cab
GK 2x10 Cab
GK 2x12 Cab

#46 User is offline   gsgbass 

• Road Rex

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:39 PM

It's a good looking bass. The thinner nitro really means nothing. If you look at a faded SG Std. bass, you'll see the wood grain on the body also. I didn't get a chance to plug it in. Next time I get to handle one, I'm going to give it a go. Hey Kelvinator, you know that's not going to augment, or ruin the sound anyway. [thumbup] It may help to let the wood breath a bit more too.

#47 User is offline   hsech 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationOgden, Iowa

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:53 PM

I owned a Brown Faded SG Bass at one time. It sounded good. The only thing I noticed about the Faded SG is the fret ends weren't dressed as nicely as my SG Reissue. As far as my EB, I think the thin finish is cool and that the bass will "age" quicker. I noticed the EB actually has an unfinished wood smell to it. A bass with a heavier finish doesn't have a smell IMO. The finish is perfect because there are a few rough spots on the bass, but nothing that really turns me off. I've owned other American basses that weren't much better. This bass reminds me of a throw back to some of the Gibson bass guitars from the 1970's. I played with a guy, when I lived a previous life as a guitarist, who had a early 70's EB3 with a rough finish like this.
2013 Gibson Midtown Bass
2013 Gibson EB Bass
1969 Fender Mustang Bass
Martin MMV Acoustic
GK MB Fusion Bass Head
GK 1x15 Cab
GK 2x10 Cab
GK 2x12 Cab

#48 User is offline   gsgbass 

• Road Rex

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:42 PM

The rough frets were the reason my Grabber 3 went back. The frets were terrible.

#49 User is offline   hsech 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationOgden, Iowa

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:15 PM

View Postgsgbass, on 15 October 2013 - 03:42 PM, said:

The rough frets were the reason my Grabber 3 went back. The frets were terrible.

The EB 5 String doesn't suffer from the rough frets. Still not quite a smooth as My Midtown and SG Reissue.
2013 Gibson Midtown Bass
2013 Gibson EB Bass
1969 Fender Mustang Bass
Martin MMV Acoustic
GK MB Fusion Bass Head
GK 1x15 Cab
GK 2x10 Cab
GK 2x12 Cab

#50 User is offline   Studioman 

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:19 AM

View Posthsech, on 14 October 2013 - 08:54 PM, said:

I was underwhelmed also when I opened the box, but after putting a set of LaBella flats on it and playing it through my MarkBass for the first time, I've become a true believer.

Posted Image

My EB 5 (In black) will be here anytime. I ordered it from Sweetwater. As per Gibson, the 5 string isn't available in black. My Sweetwater rep said he thinks "It was a limited run specifically for Sweetwater of maybe 50 instruments".
Can anyone verify this to be true or not true?

I also play through multiple Markbass riggings when I provide my own backline. :-) I SWEAR by MB!

One MINOR issue, for whatever reason, the black one weighs 7 ozs more than the natural or sunburst. (I like less weight personally). No clue why that would be.

The ONLY "negative" thing I am reading, is fret edge finishing is far from perfect. Any opinions on that?

Not often I get excited about FedEx bringing me new toys. I own 7 Gibson guitars (I'm a Gibson addict), but this is my VERY FIRST Gibson bass (And my main cover band, I play bass).

Any info. anyone can provide on the "Black 5 string" will be truly appreciated.

Mike

#51 User is offline   PeterB4407 

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:53 AM

I've had an interesting development with my vintage red 2014 EB. I posted about it here:

http://forum.gibson....84#entry1476684

Fit and finish are good in the main. The grainy nature of the wood actually looks good and the finish is satin not gloss as has been claimed for the 2014 over the 2013. The Babicz bridge is ace, I've fitted one to a Jazz and know how good they are.

The fret ends are okay too and the fretboard it a meaty lump of rosewood. It looks like the variable QC department got it right with this one. Saying that there is an annoying bump on the finish at the neck end alongside the volute and I did find one little run.

I actually like the 120th anniversary logo at the 12th fret.

The tone is full on and I like it. I particularly like the bridge pickup and that surprised me a little as I expected to prefer the neck pup. The series/parallel switching is much more subtle than I expected.

I fitted a thin and cheap nylon Levi's strap and the headstock made an abrupt dive for the floor. Given what I've read about these I was surprised. I fitted my Comfort Strapp and all is good if a little bit of a pull on my shoulder.

It looks like the knobs on the push/pull pots MAY be glued on to prevent them coming loose when the push/pull is operated.

BEWARE!

I'm awaiting a new harness made with a CTS tone and Alpha volume pots (I don't think the originals are Alpha's) and I've ordered new and slightly different knobs in black with no tone or volume writing. I may be only a bassist but I can remember that :)

Peter

#52 User is offline   Gaolee 

• Knuckle dragger
  • LocationThe Great North Wet

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:03 PM

View PostPeterB4407, on 22 January 2014 - 06:53 AM, said:

I'm awaiting a new harness made with a CTS tone and Alpha volume pots (I don't think the originals are Alpha's) and I've ordered new and slightly different knobs in black with no tone or volume writing. I may be only a bassist but I can remember that :)

Peter

Remembering which pot does what can be a challenge if you have several bass guitars and all of them have a slightly different control layout. I suppose I could rewire them to be the same, but it's easier to just look at a label now and then. The one that has no labels is the fretless 'Bird, and that one confuses me all the time. I wired it up, so you would think I would remember what everything does, but you would be wrong!

The Ric is set up one way, the EB-2 was monkeyed with before I got it and its controls do something else. The P makes sense, because it is so basic. The 'Bird makes no sense because I wired it up. The cheezy Japanese hollow body only has a volume control, but it works backwards. For that one, it would be easier to just wire the pickup straight to the jack anyway. It would be more in keeping with the goofy nature of that bass anyway. Then there are the guitars...
Thump to live.
Live to thump.

#53 User is offline   PeterB4407 

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:13 AM

An update. After investigating the original Gibson wiring and realising that what I thought was a series/parallel switching was in fact series/single coil with a capacitor (coil tap?) I wondered what a proper series parallel circuit would achieve given that I found the original arrangement a bit subtle.

So I fitted a full series/parallel arrangement with a pickup series parallel global on the tone control. I also salvaged the original knobs from the pot spindles. The 2nd one came away like the first. I think that if you need to remove the splined push fit knobs then wiggling them off May well work instead of the conventional wisdom with a straight put. The spindle will come with them if you do this.

The bass is absolutely transformed. I've fitted Chromes and with series/series/series I'm reminded of my old Chris Squire Ric. Parallel tames things and the whole circuit is better for tone and volume control.

It's been completely worthwhile. The installed circuit is a DiMarzio design.

Peter

#54 User is offline   OldPlucker 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:17 PM

I have now owned the EB for almost two weeks and it is my favorite bass. Good range and a variety of tones. Safe to say it is a keeper.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users