Gibson Brands Forums

Ahhhhh the sound of an old dirty string!!!!

onewilyfool

Now, I usually use Elixir strings on most of my guitars, but I tried some Newtone round core just for the heck of it on my AJ Mahogany short scale, since I had had those strings for a while and experiment with strings and new guitars til I find the right combo. Well these new Newtone sounded good out of the box. HOWEVER, due to my body chemistry, uncoated strings usually die quickly historically, the round core probably kept them lively a while longer, but they eventually "deadened" ....BUT, on this guitar, which is inherently bright, the srings started making the guitar have a very unique, dry percussive woody sound that I find intriguing. I'm going to keep them on, even though I know I could get a brighter louder sounding guitar with some Elixirs, but he sound with the old strings is just beautiful. I think some old timers will understand what I am saying.....just some thoughts

I know what you mean, owf. My '48 SJ is a little too bright with the Elixirs that I put on it last. I am going back to uncoated strings on that guitar and 'never' change them again.

I run into the same thing with the '57 CF100E. That guitar simply excels with older, broken-in strings. I prefer strings with less 'zing' in general. I need to buy some more John Pearse 80/20. I tend to like them best.

Yeah, I like that older string sound too on some of my guitars, my maple one especially, but I'll go along with the old strings, really happy with the tone and then all of a sudden, like overnight, they are just dead dead. Know what I mean? I can't tell if that's just my ear tricking me or if something really has shifted for the worse and it's time to change them. Also, I love John Pearse 80/20 Lights on my J-50. A lot of companys tout their 80/20's as being brighter than PB's but I only find them brighter for about 3 days and THEN (to my ear) they settle in to this killer all around tone that I have come to just love.

Absolutely subscribe to the old-strings-fascination. Not as a standard, but as an occasionally very nice place to stay.

In fact I more and more stick to the idea that a major guitar ought to sound better than splendid with old strings.

Meaning just as good as - let's say - between 3 and 6 days in. Just in another way of course – like getting into the corners of the wood.

Like patina.

In short : It shouldn't be an issue that the instrument has faded strings.

My 1963 f.x. carries a set from first of November last year and they have kind of grown together – won't be changed soon.

Then no rule without exception – The Dove dies significantly down when the strings wear out. Almost to an unbearable low, , , and totally opposed to the other maple-deer, the Firebird, which stays potent and full, , , yet as said, different - same, but different.

Acoustic guitars go to sleep when not in use and need to get played to respond at they're best.

So poor little old strings get the blame as

new strings gives them a kick start it seems.

I read a luthier saying that Adirondack is more prone to this & Sitka less but true of both.

A good case for no more than 3 Acoustic Guitars it seems,at most.

My J200 has Elixir Nano 12-53..that thing was sounding so good my wife says "they couldnt pay you enough to sell that guitar"

I put new Elixirs ,put it away and havent played it since..pulled it out over a monthor two later for 5-10 min...it absolutely do not sound the same.

But I can tell that sound is just under the surface.

Less but better guitars is the way to go probably

26 months and counting...

Recorded in the Right Anglian region of the UK, where gravity functions at 90 degrees to the rest of the world. This is not a Willie Nelson/Patsy Cline cover.

Thanks for the gravity warning. I might have spun out of control turning the tablet as you kept turning with it. You did a nice job on the song. Regarding old strings-- i always like them best. I tolerate new strings as a necessity (hmmm...do strings age differently in 90 degree gravity?)

Is it 26 months now, mojo? Wowsers.....

Not wild on the first day of new strings, but I have to admit I'm a clean shoes, clean socks, clean pants and fresh strings sort of fella.

I'm with you on the clean socks and clean pants, PM. G strings are a different matter, though.

Yes, it's 26 months and a migration now, though the high E string isn't that old, it's a relative newbie at more like a year old now.

As for shoes, well, my fetish is for interesting footwear, not necessarily shiny. My local chippie is not run by Paolo Nutini's mum, though.

Thanks for the gravity warning. I might have spun out of control turning the tablet as you kept turning with it. You did a nice job on the song. Regarding old strings-- i always like them best. I tolerate new strings as a necessity (hmmm...do strings age differently in 90 degree gravity?)

Thanks Tom. I do sit close to the phone mic, it must be said, so there may be some volume added that way. I will enjoy putting new strings on when I get there, but I like the fact that with old strings my playing doesn't squeak.

Archived