Gibson Brands Forums

How can you tell Pick-Ups Apart?

Mickson

Hey folks, Im a newbie to this board. It is very great of Gibson to have a place like this. Many thanks to them and the people that support them.

Anyway, A few days ago I bought a set of Gibson Pick Ups on line at Ebay. In the photos they appear genuine, having the GIBSON USA cut into the back-plates. However, I noticed in every set of pictures for pick ups on ebay, that at least one of the Pick Ups isnt orientated correctly. Both are usually shown with the screws at the top and as we know the correct origination for the bridge pick up has the screws on the lower posts. The seller, who has a high rating, says they are 496R and 500T pick ups pulled off a 96 Les Paul Classic. Im sure as soon as they were pulled he mixed up the Neck and Bridge pick ups and it will be up to me to sort that out.

Anyone know how to determine which pick up is which? It it by weight, or electrical characteristics or both?

Thank you

• 3 months later...

Hey folks, Im a newbie to this board. It is very great of Gibson to have a place like this. Many thanks to them and the people that support them.

Anyway, A few days ago I bought a set of Gibson Pick Ups on line at Ebay. In the photos they appear genuine, having the GIBSON USA cut into the back-plates. However, I noticed in every set of pictures for pick ups on ebay, that at least one of the Pick Ups isnt orientated correctly. Both are usually shown with the screws at the top and as we know the correct origination for the bridge pick up has the screws on the lower posts. The seller, who has a high rating, says they are 496R and 500T pick ups pulled off a 96 Les Paul Classic. Im sure as soon as they were pulled he mixed up the Neck and Bridge pick ups and it will be up to me to sort that out.

Anyone know how to determine which pick up is which? It it by weight, or electrical characteristics or both?

Thank you

measure the resistence w/a voltmeter.....the higher reading will be the bridge p'up

• 2 weeks later...

measure the resistence w/a voltmeter.....the higher reading will be the bridge p'up

Apologies for being picky, it's probably the chief sin of Engineers & Techies, but for "voltmeter" read "multimeter", "ohm-meter" or "continuity tester" - as Bender says, it's the resistance you want, not the voltage.

Thank you

The pole pieces of the 496R are R(hythm) spaced whereas the 500T has a T(reble) spacing. The latter is the wider one. R pickups should read 48 mm from E1st to E6th, and T pickups 50 mm.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

The pole pieces of the 496R are R(hythm) spaced whereas the 500T has a T(reble) spacing. The latter is the wider one. R pickups should read 48 mm from E1st to E6th, and T pickups 50 mm.

All these years I never knew this with the spacing.Thanks for new information, and yes this site is worth it already since I have many pickups that were onced labeled, that have come off with the years.

• 4 weeks later...

also, once you determine which has the highest resistance, hence the bridge, the pickups should be positioned with the screws facing to bridge (for the bridge pickup) and the headstock (for the neck pickup.)

Archived