Gibson Guitar Board: Fake Maestro? - Gibson Guitar Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fake Maestro? foreign clear-acrylic body SG copy w/ bolt-on maple w/ rosewood

#1 User is offline   cyclecamper 

• Group: Members

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:40 AM

I bought a foreign-made SG copy with metric hardware and a clear vinyl Maestro sticker on the headstock. It has a clear acrylic body and the back of the bolt-on neck is maple. I suspect it's not really a Maestro?

Because the pickup cavities are deep and near the neck pocket, and the two cutaways are shaved, and he body is not very thick so the body tongue for the neck to bolt onto is thin. So the body bends way more than a glued-on neck SG. Pete Townsend used this for vibrato on the real SG but on this it's ridiculous. Neck bolts and plate are crooked.

I'm adding an aluminum brace; might be able to save it.

Question: Did Maestro ever distibute SG copy guitars with a clear body, or is this an illegal knock-off?

#2 User is offline   milod 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCenter of the USA

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:53 PM

I had a clear body SG knockoff in the early '70s... don't recall the brand but I don't think it was Maestro. Mine was pretty heavy and heavily built. Lots of sustain but not an overall sound or feel that tripped my trigger at all.

m\

#3 User is offline   cyclecamper 

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:06 PM

The Galveston is similar. I've seen others with clear headstock too (not mine).
Well, instead of the little steel plate for the neck bolts I added a larger aluminum plate then finally a rounded (domed) polished backplate from 3/8" 6061 T-6 and bolted it on from the bridge to the neck-mount bolts. Still working on it. Bolts thru the body thru the bottom of the holes for the bridge and stop-bar post mounts. More bolts thru to the neck than stock too. And I'm filling the too-deep pickup cavities with aluminum plates for more bolts to the back plate and liquid acrylic. Still experimenting with the liquid acrylic and getting it to set with UV light.

I got low-profile Alumitone pickups that mount about like humbuckers. Needs a bit more room around the height-adjustment screws but barely needs any depth routed. Changing the knob functions too, with push/push volume to reverse relative polarity of one pickup (usually called a phase switch).

I saw a maple-top SG from the Gibson custom shop. Nice guitar. Beautiful piece of wood.

IMHO most mahogany SG guitars could benefit from an aluminum spine. Some people are afraid of what it might do to the sound, but after living with my Travis Beans I have no such fears.

#4 User is offline   BowerR64 

Posted 10 May 2016 - 10:37 PM

So are these Maestro guitars good?

A friend of mine bought a "Baldwin" by Gibson or something like that and i didnt think it was good at all. It reminded me of a cheap Gibson SG thing bestbuy was selling a few years back and people were buying them for like $100. at best buy and selling them on e-bay or craigslist for crazy money because they were new or maybe they thought they were a better version?

Ive seen Maestro, Epoch and the Baldwin and i think the Gibson name was either on the headstock or on the neck plate or something. They have the right shape but they dont seem to be up to par for what ive seen anyway.

#5 User is offline   jmang 

Posted 23 September 2016 - 08:40 AM

View Postmilod, on 23 May 2013 - 12:53 PM, said:

I had a clear body SG knockoff in the early '70s... don't recall the brand but I don't think it was Maestro. Mine was pretty heavy and heavily built. Lots of sustain but not an overall sound or feel that tripped my trigger at all.

m\

Milo,

Your early'70s lucite guitar was probably a Dan Armstrong. You can see a picture of it in his Wikipedia article here: https://en.wikipedia.../Dan_Armstrong.

Regards,

Jim

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users