Gibson Brands Forums

Strap to use with a les paul

I have a 05 model Epiphone Les paul standard and I have a regular strap I use with my guitars but I have noticed if I stand with my les paul for just a few mins it feels like the strap is digging into my shoulder. could anybody recommend a good strap that will help with this. if at all possible to stay around 50 bucks or so.... my current strap is about a 1and 1/2 inches wide.

For a Les Paul you are better off with a strap at least 2 1/2" wide.

Get a good quality, thick, solid leather one and try to find one with the inside left suede instead of shiny.

There should be a number of brands offering them for the sum quoted.

IMX there's no point in buying anything fancy.

The strap on my #1 Paul is a brand-anonymous, simple, natural Nubuck leather one, 3" wide, and has (so far) lasted 33 years. It is still as solid as the day it was bought.

By contrast I've bought thinner leather with faux-suede inner laminated & stitched straps which have literally fallen apart after 3 or 4 years use.

Good quality, simple, one-piece leather. You won't be disappointed.

P.

Gibson has the answer - but not for $50. They market (I doubt they make them) a wonderful wide leather strap with foam padding on the underside that makes holding a Les Paul for 3 or 4 sets doable. They come in a variety of styles and colors (black, tan, brown) and the big box stores like Sam Ash and Guitar Center carry them - but they retail from about $100 to $150.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help. for now I found a Franklin strap it is 2 1/2 in wide. And it works great.... it is suede leather very soft I just hope it lasts...

Archived