Gibson Brands Forums

Clapton and Knopfler in one weekend.

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest Farnsbarns

I'm just sitting in the members bar at the Albert Hall with Flight959, just about to head n to the last night of he Clapton tour. Tomorrow we're both coming back with Pippy for Mark Knopfler. [flapper]

Guest Farnsbarns

Well, Clapton wasn't great, he's one of those musicians who has changed a lot over the years and if he decides he's playing stuff from an era that wasn't your thing that's just unfortunate.

Knopfler, on the other hand... He smashed it. Probably the best concert I've ever been to. He's been sounding slightly Gaelic for a while but I'd forgotten. He did some Dire Straights hits as well. I enjoyed every second of it which is rare for me.

His support was a girl called Ruth Moody. Look out for her.. Bloody good.

Well, Clapton wasn't great, he's one of those musicians who has changed a lot over the years and if he decides he's playing stuff from an era that wasn't your thing that's just unfortunate.

Wow when I saw him last month he pretty much covered every era of his career and his playing was sublime.

Knopfler, on the other hand... He smashed it. Probably the best concert I've ever been to. He's been sounding slightly Gaelic for a while but I'd forgotten. He did some Dire Straights hits as well. I enjoyed every second of it which is rare for me.

His support was a girl called Ruth Moody. Look out for her.. Bloody good.

A few years back I saw Clapton with Jeff Beck and I had a similar reaction to you.. Clapton was ok but just boring.. Jeff Beck blew him off the stage as far as a show goes.. of course there were points where they played together which was pretty cool to see..

I also saw Knopfler a while back and like you I thought it was a great gig and really enjoyed it. He was supporting Bob Dylan and I thought was much better than the Dylan show.

I saw Clapton years ago and he was OK. But with the standard of playing moving on so much, I personally find him boring now. You get kids that can play him under the table these days. He has a certain class about him that is his saving grace though.

Calling Clapton bollocks? Not what you thought or not as good as you'd hoped for maybe, but bollocks? :-k

Anyway, I saw Knopfler last night and I agree, he was really good. Hearing him play brothers in arms on his Les Paul at the RAH was a real highlight. If I was being super picky, the only song that I didn't really get was marbletown, it featured a drawn out fiddle and double bass piece that would've been better had they made the song 3 mins shorter. I'm sure others might disagree but for me that one song didn't really work.

Great performance from the whole band though and MK seems a nice down to earth bloke.

Calling Clapton bollocks? Not what you thought or not as good as you'd hoped for maybe, but bollocks? :-k

Anyway, I saw Knopfler last night and I agree, he was really good. Hearing him play brothers in arms on his Les Paul at the RAH was a real highlight. If I was being super picky, the only song that I didn't really get was marbletown, it featured a drawn out fiddle and double bass piece that would've been better had they made the song 3 mins shorter. I'm sure others might disagree but for me that one song didn't really work.

Great performance from the whole band though and MK seems a nice down to earth bloke.

When I saw him a few years ago supporting Dylan I recorded that very event ;)

Guest Farnsbarns

Knopfler was the dogs bollocks!

Clapton was bollocks!

Just sayin!

Is that good or bad?

Meccano is the reason for this. Just after it came out there were 2 sets, box standard and box deluxe. Box standard was the entomological beginning of the term bog standard and box deluxe somehow became dog's bollocks which lead to other expressions like the cat's meow and the mutt's nuts.

Yes, I thought Bollocks.

Brothers in Arms.... Wish he played that!

They played Sultins of swing, Romeo and Juliet, Telegraph Road and Going Home

Regards

You got Sultans instead of BIA, he played the others you listed which were great, particularly Romeo & Juliet. I would've loved to have heard Sultans but I was more than happy with Brothers in arms.

I see you can buy a memory stick of specific concerts of his privateering tour online, trying to decide if I want to spend £26(!) for a copy of the concert.

Archived