Gibson Brands Forums

1961 Gibson Mystery Model?

Hello,

My name is Jon Decker and my friend found this mystery guitar in a house he recently bought, serial number 39312. It is hollow, with a bigsby, and a florentine cutaway. The guitar is a shorter scale, with beautiful figuring on the neck (which looks like a 3 piece. It is in beautiful condition. My thoughts were initially a Les Paul florentine, but it it doesn't say "Les Paul" on the headstock, then because of the shorter scale I thought ES-140. The only thing that throws me off is that most ES's I see don't carry the "custom" branding and have a dog-eared P-90 instead of the the humbucker that this one has. The only thing I am fairly certain of is that it was made in 1961.

This guitar is in excellent condition.

Any help or information would be of great assistance!

post-57216-004316500 1369835641_thumb.png

1369835686[/url]' post='1381030']

Hello,

My name is Jon Decker and my friend found this mystery guitar in a house he recently bought, serial number 39312. It is hollow, with a bigsby, and a florentine cutaway. The guitar is a shorter scale, with beautiful figuring on the neck (which looks like a 3 piece. It is in beautiful condition. My thoughts were initially a Les Paul florentine, but it it doesn't say "Les Paul" on the headstock, then because of the shorter scale I thought ES-140. The only thing that throws me off is that most ES's I see don't carry the "custom" branding and have a dog-eared P-90 instead of the the humbucker that this one has. The only thing I am fairly certain of is that it was made in 1961.

Never seen anything like that before. Can you provide a few more pictures? Is that pickup mounted at a slight angle or is it just a trick of the picture orientation?

I have never seen anything like that either. Its damn cute and pretty though. Just wonder if the humbucker is a PAF. I love the Pat.Pend. grovers also. It looks Gibson. Something looks a little off with the serial #,s at first glance but who knows?

I think the strangest thing is him finding it in a house that he just bought........ I would like to think that "if and when" I sell my house, I would not forget and leave a Gibson in there... [scared]

Thanks for the update from Gruhn! I figured that he may provide the 'definitive' info... [thumbup] However, you had it pegged before his confirmation....Bravo!

So cool, I am jealous of a 'find' like that.... MY-T-SWEET.. eusa_clap.gif

Dead Man's strap...... and guitar! How cool is that B)

The house was full of stuff - many guitars and amps. The strap is a dead man's, and I heard back from George Gruhn about this guitar. It seems to be a one-off custom made in 1961 based off of the ES-140.

What kinds of amps and guitars did you find that weren't a mystery?

[crying]Probably the "usual suspects'.....'59 Bassman,'62 Princeton, '65 Deluxe Reverb....Dot neck 335, '53 ES-295......NO Mystery..... Yeah, I'm a bit jealous.....Buy a dead man's house full of vintage gear....Jeesh [sleep]

Hello,

Hello Jon Decker! At least you are not Rick Wilson....He's a dead man [sad]

Archived