Gibson Brands Forums

12 string players

brannon67

How many 12 string players do we have here? Do you find the 12 string to be beautiful sounding, something you use all the time, some of the time, not much, etc? Do you find it a pain in the A$$ to change strings and tune all the time? Did you keep your 12 or got rid of it because it was to much of a hassle to maintain?

My Guild F-412 doesn't see much playing time, but when I am in the mood it is very sweet. I don't find it a POA changing strings and tuning, just takes a little longer. Some tunes just need a 12 string...

I agree, I have a Larrivee 12 string, which I really do like. I dont use it alot, only when Im playing some 70s stuff, or mayby if Im inspired to write a tune using it, or mayby playing a John Butler tune. It really is a pain to change strings and tune but thats the price you have to pay I guess.

... Some tunes just need a 12 string...

+1

I love 12 strings, but I understand they aren't everyone's cup of tea. I've had at least one 12 string in my stable since the early seventies. Currently I've got three. Love the sound and over the years I've logged more hours on my 12 strings then my 6 strings. Changing strings takes longer, but I've got no problems with it except for my Ric 360/12 is a bit of a challenge with the slotted head. My 12 strings don't require anymore maintenance than my 6 strings. Regarding tuning issues - mine stay in tune as well as my 6 strings in a stable environment, but are somewhat more sensitive to temp and humidity variations - well, not the Rainsong. B) . Then there's the interesting alternative setups that leave out certain octave/pair strings - 10 string, 9 string, 8 string, 7 string - less high end jangle, but still giving a fuller sound. Lots of hidden versatility there that most folks miss. The interesting bit there is that there have been production acoustic guitars made with 10 strings, 9 strings, 8 strings, and 7 strings.

My '64 Gibson B25-12N is my first 12 string and I like to rotate it through my playing time. I love it!

I was looking at the National El Trovador 12 string resophonic guitar on their website and thought it could become a real beast to play....anybody here have one?

http://www.nationalguitars.com/instruments/eltrovador12/eltrovador12.html

BluesKing777.

I only have an electric 12 right now (ES 335-12), but have been looking at both B 45-12's and D 12-20's.

Not quite sure why, as I don't even have time to play all my six-string guitars.

I do love the sound of a 12, however. I really associate it with both the folk boom and electric folk-rock (McGuinn) of the 60's-early 70's. Not to mention a few tunes by that boy band out of Liverpool......

Only have one - a 1963 Gibson B45-12N. It is a very early square shoulder model and still has the trapeze bridge setup. I pretty much play it no differently than I do a 6 string. Thing about a 12 stringf or me is that while it is certainly not wgar I would consider a main guitar there is an itch that only a 12 string can scratch.

I threw an early 1970s Guild 12 string in on the deal that landed me the Gibson. The Guild had what I would describe as a more typical 12 string sound - very vibrant and jangly. The biggest issue I had with the Guild though was the neck width which was 1 11/16". I found it very cramped feeling. The Gibson has the 2" neck which is far more comfortable for me. It does not have near as much upper end jangle as the Guild but has more presence in the low end and mids.

And a good excuse to post a picture (not that I need one)

005_zpsaa1a3bd2.jpg

I do love the sound of a 12, however. I really associate it with both the folk boom and electric folk-rock (McGuinn) of the 60's-early 70's. Not to mention a few tunes by that boy band out of Liverpool......

For me it is Blind Willie McTell, Barbecue Bob, and of course, Leadbelly.

Check it out.

I dont have an acoustic 12 string only a Rickenbacker 381V69.

I love the sound of it and it inspires some really great wall of sound music,but I fear changing strings.

Since my wife and brother gave it to me on Christmas 1988 I think there have only been 3 sets of strings on it..long live those strings.

J-200 JR12....this is my absolut favorite guitar for tunes and songs. Not very easy to play, but tuning is easy, tuners work fine and effective, the guitar stays in tune, and if it is well done, I have an instrument that sings just by itself. The use of the capodaster is tricky but it works. If you want to see pic, there is a thread J-200 JR12 in this forum.

I also have a Bjärton B 120 from the 1974 I belive. It is a loud and good sounding 12 string with a fat neck, good to play. I love the good sounding 12-strings with a combination of strumming/pleck-picking, it sounds a kind of a cimbal or a harpsichord.

Greets.

If I had one (and I don't) this would be the reason why

Paul Geremia is an incredible, under-rated talent who has been dedicated to this kind of music for almost 50 years. Despite all the recordings he has made, he's never the type of popular success he deserves.

If he ever appears anywhere near you, go see him.

Paul Geremia is an incredible, under-rated talent who has been dedicated to this kind of music for almost 50 years. Despite all the recordings he has made, he's never the type of popular success he deserves.

If he ever appears anywhere near you, go see him.

I thoroughly enjoyed that video...

every guitarist should have a 12 string... nothing like getting lost in waves of natural chorus effects from the octave and unison strings....

+1

My Taylor 12 string gets a lot of use. How else could I play:

My Sweet Lord

Turn, Turn, Turn

Mr. Tambourine Man

Please Come to Boston

California Dreamin'

Wish You Were Here

You've Got To Hide Your Love Away

Sundown

Question

Give a Little Bit

Even in the Quietest Moments

Don't Answer Me

Over The Hills and Far Away

My Back Pages

I even recorded my tribute song to my Dad with TWO 12 strings... my Taylor and my Rickenbacker 360/12:

What Would Dad Say?

A 12 string is an absolute staple in my guitar arsenal.

Archived