Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage 1959 Les Paul Frettless Wonder

Roadies

Hey all! I have a 59 Les Paul I want to verify. The serial number is 928600 (not stamped in the wood. Made in USA under serial and is stamped a little in the wood. I have owned it since 1974. I put Grover tuners on it back in the day and put on a new bridge. All electronics are original. I did have it fretted in 1982. (bussssssing). See pics below. What is she worth now days?

post-57275-007788500 1370274846_thumb.jpg

post-57275-030016000 1370274857_thumb.jpg

post-57275-015989300 1370274911_thumb.jpg

post-57275-061967500 1370274916_thumb.jpg

post-57275-099497700 1370274921_thumb.jpg

post-57275-011096900 1370274927_thumb.jpg

post-57275-050056200 1370274932_thumb.jpg

post-57275-030697200 1370274946_thumb.jpg

post-57275-067561000 1370274989_thumb.jpg

Your guitar has a neck volute. How could it date to 1959?

Yes, i forgot about that, the Made in USA stamp could have been added but the volute could not.

The absent dot over the i in Gibson could indidcate 1969, cause the dot reappear late that year didn´t it?

The serial number, combined with the volute and lack of an "i" dot, point to 1970-72.

Don't forget the "harmonica bridge", isn't that also period correct? He says he replaced the bridge but does he mean the tailpiece? Also, the serial number is stamped. But the guitar is beat up enough to make someone think it was from 1959.

Don't forget the "harmonica bridge", isn't that also period correct? He says he replaced the bridge but does he mean the tailpiece?

Not sure why it matters in terms of dating the thing. Parts can be (and were) changed.

Also, the serial number is stamped. But the guitar is beat up enough to make someone think it was from 1959.

Only if someone didn't know much about Gibson guitars. it dates to 1970-72, then it's over 40 years old, and has had plenty of time to get beat up and aged in appearance. The fact that it's beat up does not give any more credence to a 1959 date, even if it didn't have a volute, etc.

Sticking my neck out here:

I don't think that LP Customs ever came with long travel bridges?

That's a replacement.

The bridge posts on LP Customs are set at an angle - the bridge posts for the Long Travel Bridge are not angled.

SG's had that bridge and also the LP Recording (amongst others).

DG

That's a replacement.

The bridge posts on LP Customs are set at an angle - the bridge posts for the Long Travel Bridge are not angled.

DG

I have a 1972 Les Paul Custom, it has a ABR style bridge.............

1370328153[/url]' post='1383749']

The fact that it's beat up does not give any more credence to a 1959 date, even if it didn't have a volute, etc.

I was making more of a joke there. But, I was also wondering if maybe that's why the original owner thought that it was so old.

I was making more of a joke there. But, I was also wondering if maybe that's why the original owner thought that it was so old.

Yes i think the original owner thinks it is a 59. So we are looking at a 69-72 Les paul?

That's a replacement.

DG

My buddy got this guitar in 74. I was in the band when he got it. He did replace the tail piece.

Bottom line what is it worth and where should I sell it.... eBay?

My buddy got this guitar in 74. I was in the band when he got it. He did replace the tail piece.

Bottom line what is it worth and where should I sell it.... eBay?

In the end it is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it, all the mods makes it really difficult to value but...

I don´t know about Ebay, i wouldn´t sell it on there for my life but obviously people do.

This all original, pristine LP custom from 1978 is on sale for corresponding 2500 US dollars(aproximately)in a local Swedish store, i haven´t seen big price differences regarding Norlin era LPs, maybe an early is a little higher valued but not much, take it from there.

http://www.blocket.se/uppsala/Gibson_Les_Paul__78_Custom_47503947.htm?ca=15&w=3

BTW, i got some severe GAS when i found the one in the add :-)

Yes i think the original owner thinks it is a 59. So we are looking at a 69-72 Les paul?

I think it's no older than 1971 or so. There is a huge difference in value if it were to be a 1969, but it wouldn't have a volute or a "Made in USA" stamp on the back of the headstock.

Hi Grog,

Photograph please??

Are the bridge posts angled or straight?

Did you buy it new?

DG

I bought it about ten years ago. Here is a shot of the bridge posts............

72LPC_zpscffeb874.jpg

1972GibsonLesPaulCustom.jpg

It's kind of odd, we dated it as a '72 but the pot codes date it as a '74. Since I bought this one, I've been in contact with several people with the same story, one guy had pots dating to '75. I wonder if they weren't selling well in 1972 & they didn't finish them for a few years. Maybe produced too many? My main objective was to get an early 70's, Kalamazoo built Les Paul Custom. I wanted a '69 but the price was about double what I paid for this guitar.

Seems that everyone with a beat-up and older Les Paul just 'fantasizes' that it is a '59. My belief is....that the surviving ones are all "documented and accounted for" at this stage of the game! ....even the re-finished ones...period! They are in the hands of 'collectors/artist' of some notoriety. There are NO under the bed and closet classics left.

Put your guitar on Ebay with a start of $1000 and you will find out in the end....what its worth...Jes Sayin'...[cool]

Archived