Gibson Brands Forums

Tommy Emmanuel

Vega1

Watching "Tommy Emmanuel: Center Stage", he's an excellent guitarist, really is. I did notice he's got this really weird stage presence where he makes smiling eye contact with the audience members and makes faces as if to say "can you believe I can do this?". I have to say, I would be very uncomfortable if i was in the front row and he looked at me like that.

See around 2:20 for an example, but he seems to do this alot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k8EQ1aPzcw

Does he often do this? I found it very distracting. Just wondering.

Strange post.

I know this. Tony Enamel is so good he makes me put down my guitar in frustration and disgust. Many great players in many activities inspire others to aspire to be that good... then there are others that inspire us to say "what's the use?"

BTW, I like the "WTF did I just do to my head?" look.

Sorry, I know I'm probably going to get shot down in flames for this, but all I'm reading from his face is 'Smug'. Sure he's a genius at what he does, but so is everyone on here at what they do - have faith in yourself, and don't let others make you see it otherwise. ;)

Perhaps it's just be a case of big stage showmanship shoehorned into a small room. I can see that working fine in a 10,000 seater where big is better and all you've got is an acoustic guitar. Great player, btw, but I like him better when he plays it more and beats on it less. :rolleyes:

I have never been a fan of Tommy I respect what he does but I too find his cockiness as patronising. I saw him at the International Guitar Festival in my home town of Adelaide last year and I have to say Frank Vignola killed him but it was the Rhythm of Vinnie Raniolo that just blew me away. The Guy was like a drummer with a guitar in his hands

I am truly amazed. A guitar player with an incredible mastery of his instrument, who plays with amazing energy, skill, musicality, technique, finesse, feeling and speed; who has an involved and charismatic stage presence and puts on a great show; who I would easily list in my top 10 living guitarists; is singled out for being "smug," "weird," and "manic?" This is a tough crowd. You guys could have picked out dozens of more guitarists, with much less talent, for being much more obnoxious.

I am truly amazed. A guitar player with an incredible mastery of his instrument, who plays with amazing energy, skill, musicality, technique, finesse, feeling and speed; who has an involved and charismatic stage presence and puts on a great show; who I would easily list in my top 10 living guitarists; is singled out for being "smug," "weird," and "manic?" This is a tough crowd. You guys could have picked out dozens of more guitarists, with much less talent, for being much more obnoxious.

I saw Andres Segovia in '63. We were told that the maestro required quiet while he played. Well right after he played about two notes a back door at the venue closed or clicked or made some kind of noise and Segovia stopped and gave a sneer that could have killed and we were all afraid that was it, he was going to walk off the stage. Fortuately we all demonstrated enough remorse that he granted us full show. Even the best have attributes we can make fun of.

Archived