Gibson Brands Forums

A 1937 Gibson Advanced Jumbo on E Bay

suburude63

Gibson AJ' date=' 1937

General: This is a 1937 Gibson Advanced Jumbo, FON number #378. The Pre-war AJ is regarded as being the best guitar Gibson Ever made. Buy it Now $27,500.oo

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Advanced-Jumbo-AJ-1937-production-With-case_W0QQitemZ140287726797QQihZ004QQcategoryZ118979QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/quote']

Awesome.

I just need another $26,750 and I'm there.

"Repaired in a professional manor." That's some kind of edifice, right? A professional building full of luthiers? I was thinking "What strange wood grain on the side" then I realized it was reflection of that barn wood. Why does the side of this guitar reflect like glass? My gosh, possibly the most collectible Gibson acoustic ever made and some luthier refinished it?

We had an original AJ at a store I worked in and I had the opportunity to play it. It was not in great shape overall as it still required a neck reset, but you could play it in first position just fine and get a good feel for the tone.

It would have been nice to see it again after the work was done, that is for sure, but I can say it was not as impressive as one might hope it to be when I had my turn.

If you think about a current model AJ, like the 2005 I own, you know it has plenty of bass and lovely ringing trebles. If you take that and add years of good conditioning to some Brazilian Rosewood and a red spruce top, you basically get a guitar that is really over the top. This is the part that interests me, actually, because I find it difficult to sing with a modern AJ if I dare to strum with a modest pick, so it scares me to imagine going at a Dylan tune with an original AJ - they are guitars that tend to demand the limelight and focus from your ears - not much of a blender.

Now, If I could get the melody going like Tommy Emmanuel, I might be more interested in one of these incredibly expensive guitars - but for my modest talent I will stick with what I have.

... it was not as impressive as one might hope it to be when I had my turn. ...

I don't find this all that surprising. Ren Ferguson told me that he was once in a room with seven -- I think it was seven -- pre-War AJs. In his estimation, two of the seven were really good to great, three were pretty good, and two were more or less duds.

No matter what the model or the vintage, there are no exceptions to the rule that acoustic guitars vary from one to the next, and buying one without playing, or at least hearing, it first is risky. Old Gibsons can be absolutely magical, but there are no guarantees. My own experience checking out a beautiful '34 Jumbo -- the only original Jumbo, as opposed to Original Jumbo, I've ever had a shot at -- confirmed this. Very nice guitar, but nowhere near as good as my great banner J-45. In fact, ignoring the potential resale value, I have several Gibsons (including some built in Bozeman) I wouldn't trade even-up for it.

-- Bob R

Archived