Gibson Brands Forums

J-35 vs J-45 shootout

EuroAussie

Taking a look at the bracing was real interesting, quite a few differences in reality.

The J-45 took the honors in this round according to my ears ... just a little smoother, sweeter tone than the J-35, which is quite ballsy, actually reminds me a bit of the AJ.

Which do you like more ... ?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ouh you came in just before be.

I take 45 in this specific comparison. It seems more together, not as 'spread out' as the 35, (which appears looser on the cost of a lesser convincing core).

But they are so relatively close that I'd like to hear another test with 2 other guitars.

Then again, a fool for A/B's here.

Both sound great. I like the smoother side of the 45 and the more rustic edge of the 35. In reality they are pretty similar and both well within the range that I find highly desirable in Gibson hog slopes. I could imagine reaching for either according to the song or day. So I'll stick with the Woody!

Most surprised by the fact that the 35 has the AJ bracing pattern and so a chunky neck. I've been a bit sceptical about the reports on the necks, because the one I tried didn't feel all that different to the Woody's. But then I wasn't in a position to A-B them. You can really see the difference here, though. It's perhaps a good thing that neither the 45 TV or the Legend was made available in natural...

Intrigued by the fact that the AJ bracing doesn't give the 35 any more bass to my ears than the 45, and at some points in this comparison less, if anything. It's not as though it's a slouch in the bass department, or a poor example. It whips the 35 I tried out in Norwich. By a long way. And I think five-trick Pony gives it a nice even hand here. Where you and PM seem to find him bassy, EA, I usually find him bass-light and wish he'd dig in more on that side to elicit the thump. That said, I usually also wish he'd dig in more across the board to get more out of all of the frequencies. So despite some fine playing and a good responsive, lively character, the 35 doesn't seem to derive more bass from its bracing than the 45 manages. Odd.

Interested also by the fact that you preferred the 45 here, EA, given your general preference for TVs and the effects of their bracing.

Most impressed by Pony's playing here. Definitely one of the best videos from MV I've seen. Of course he's an excellent player, the quality of the videos is always excellent, et patati et patata. We're a massively critical bunch. But, well, he does vary in terms of the effects of his fine playing from video to video. This time round, I think he was spot on in all areas. Gentlemen at the homecoming, please a) thank Mr Polecastro for the endless hours of entertainment he gives us; B) get him to A-B JT's new 1942 reissue and a Legend on video; c) take him to the nearest barber.

man I DO want both!

this is actually a very good comparison- my J35 sounded much like this one before I switched the saddle and strings...

now I would say it sits perfectly between these two examples- with J35 attitude and J45 sweetness [thumbup]

i would still love to have a j45 too! sigh...

madhat.

J-45 for me

The 45 seemed a bit more sweet sounding and balanced. The J-35 had good lows and highs but no mids to fill in the sound I thought.

Enjoyed the bracing explanation.

Exactly my response. The J-35 has a hole in the middle of the frequency range, but is good at the top and bottom. The J-45 has balance, with strong mids, showing why it's such a good accompanying guitar. I would love to compare the J-35 against a J-45 TV.

Both sounded good. The 45 was warmer and sweeter, which is what I like. The bracing difference surprised me. The one 45 that I have played that had the advance bracing and Sitka top was very warm and sweet and had a little more woody sound than my j45 mc. It also sounded that way from the first time I played it. No, I did not buy it, but it is still there if anyone is interested. I wish somebody would buy the thing so it will stop tormenting me! Thanksfor sharing that video!

chsAK

I've owned a number of different Bozeman made 45's including a TV but I like the tone of my 35 better and I love the neck profile. In fact, I recently sold my 45TV as I favored the 35 over it. In this video, I think they are both pretty close but the 45 sounds a bit warmer and the 35 more in your face. I like them both in this video but right now, the only slope I have is the 35.

Goin' to town today to have my Hummingbird TV checked for the possibility of a little neck-twist.

They seem to have the J-35 and I will take it from the wall.

Their site also shows a new TV Bird like mine - of course that will be tested too.

Still crazy about mine - it is so satisfying that I haven't changed strings yet.

See you later -

The J45 was definitely warmer and more mellow sounding than the J35. Thicker mid-tones too. The J35 has more highs. I've got a J45 and I can see myself also with a J35. Either guitar would be a pleasure to own. Owning both would be very cool. I've played two J35s at GC. Liked them both. I didn't have a J45 to play against them, but is the J35 neck a bit narrower or am I imagining that it is? Either way, Gibson has a winner with this new J35. [thumbup]

Been gassing for a new J-35 since they came out. Now this well done review has injected a small element of doulbt . [confused]

Not that I don't love the J-35 (I've tried 2) ,but the A/B comparison has me wondering.

since I already have the J-45 TV I will take the J-35 [biggrin]

Ha!

I already have the J45.

But that 35 finish would be nice big sister for my '59 Gibson LG3.........................................guitar fund kaput. luckily......................///////////////////////////,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,?????????

BluesKing777.

This confirms my original assessment of the J35.

For sure, it's a great deal and a great guitar in it's own right, but next to the J45 (which was my original test for it) it comes off thin and not as sweet.

The J35 is more "in your face." Not in a bad way, it is just more up front than the 45.

I can see the 45 solo with a vocalist, and the 35 taking rhythm in a group setting.

Still, I want one. msp_biggrin.gif

Nifty and timely video... terrible hair & beard combo, Tony 'the thumb' P has to sort that out, not a good look at all.....

Between the 2 I have a very easy to declare preference for the 45...

Open questions though...

It's one Vs one, was it the best 35 they had?

They make a bit more cash from a 45 sale than a 35 sale, would it be prudent to upload a video that demonstrated a 35 which reversed the results of this video?

I must admit, the 35 I tried out in Glasgow a few months back sounded more like the 45 than the 35 that's in this video, I tried some other Gibsons beside it for comparison and it's why I stated I thought it was great, it had that warmth we hear in the 45 in this clip. The 35 here, sounds a wee bit thinner and more brash to me. But if I wasn't 4 deep in Bozeman acoustics already I would buy a 35, no problems.... to buy one when I have a 45 & 50 already seems a bit unnecessary though...

Nifty and timely video... terrible hair & beard combo, Tony 'the thumb' P has to sort that out, not a good look at all.....

Between the 2 I have a very easy to declare preference for the 45...

Open questions though...

It's one Vs one, was it the best 35 they had?

They make a bit more cash from a 45 sale than a 35 sale, would it be prudent to upload a video that demonstrated a 35 which reversed the results of this video?

I must admit, the 35 I tried out in Glasgow a few months back sounded more like the 45 than the 35 that's in this video, I tried some other Gibsons beside it for comparison and it's why I stated I thought it was great, it had that warmth we hear in the 45 in this clip. The 35 here, sounds a wee bit thinner and more brash to me. But if I wasn't 4 deep in Bozeman acoustics already I would buy a 35, no problems.... to buy one when I have a 45 & 50 already seems a bit unnecessary though...

Good points made there.

All I know is that I played 2 45's and 2 35's in my local shop for over an hour and I cam away with a 35. There was no comparisson for me.

Archived