Gibson Brands Forums

SG Standard Neck reliability

scottffitch

Hi all,

I have a question regarding the expected neck reliability of my SG's... I have a 2011 SG Standard w/the "SG Rounded" neck profile (which seems to me a bit like the '59 rounded profile, but not as chunky in the upper register..) and a 2013 SG standard with the "Slim '60's" and until now I haven't put much thought toward the reliability of the necks on my guitars.. I've read elsewhere on the net that SG's are notorious for having neck's break and a generally bad track record with neck angles in general... Is there any truth to that nowadays? Are the necks on either my 2011, or 2013 models more "fragile" than say an LP neck/neck pocket..?

NO rush, just curious what the experts on here think about this issue... I realize it may be a topic as futile as the Norlin-era Gibsons quality control as far as opinion vs fact, so I invite all opinions and experiences! Thanks!

-scott

You can expect no problems if you handle your guitar/s with reasonable care.

An issue with the neck angle to the body of an electric guitar is rare as it is almost always caught at the factory. I haven't run into any problems of this nature with anything other than acoustic guitars.

Stability: Early on it was apparent that the SG neck joint needed some work. In an attempt to make it more stable, the neck joint was thickened in 1962. There were still some problems and in 1966 the neck joint was redesigned, ending the stability problems with the joint. However, there are some that still question the stability of the SG neck joint. I've never had any problems.

Regarding breakage: Any guitar that gets knocked over, banged when turning, or dropped is in danger of sustaining a cracked/broken neck/headstock. The headstock angle on Gibson guitars would tend to somewhat increase the possibility of damage when knocked over, banged or dropped.

I'm always mildly amused by things "read on the internet", because something like the apparent fragility of SG necks is often spouted long about by people that have only ever played a guitar while sitting on their bed, or later, on the couch while mom is making dinner. As a guy who has been throwing them around, dropping them, watching them slide off trucks, fall down steps, spend several sub zero nights in a row in the trunk of my 68 Falcon while I was...busy, spilled on, cigarette burned and girlfriend kicked since the mid 70s I will tell you that unless you are attempting to cut down a tree or otherwise use a guitar not in the way it was intended, it will survive many many many long nights of whatever you can chuck at it. Norlin Gobsins and CBS Fedners included.

Party on dude, and don't worry about it.

rct

My 46 year old 1967 SG Standard has never had a problem with the neck, and it has the thinnest neck at the nut I have ever played. Of course I've never dropped her!

SG.jpg

Ah heck, I just wanted another excuse to post a pic. B)

My 46 year old 1967 SG Standard has never had a problem with the neck, and it has the thinnest neck at the nut I have ever played. Of course I've never dropped her!

SG.jpg

[love]

I'm in lurve!!!!

SG.jpg

[crying] SOB, SOB...my very first SG was THAT exact same model/version! I sure do MISS it!! ](*,)

(But, I LOVE my current SG's, as well!) [biggrin]

CB

As some have pointed out that early in the SG's life there were some neck issues, but now a days they're just fine. If an SG can put up with the pounding Angus Young plays with I think those of us who have the SG have nothing to worry about. Just play it with common sense, rock on, and have a good old time... [smile]

Regarding breakage: Any guitar that gets knocked over, banged when turning, or dropped is in danger of sustaining a cracked/broken neck/headstock. The headstock angle on Gibson guitars would tend to somewhat increase the possibility of damage when knocked over, banged or dropped.

BigKahune is correct in this respect. I've had two beautiful Gibson guitars(ES-335 which I no longer have and an SG Standard) have their head stocks snapped. Both were knocked off of their

guitar stand; the first by a wandering toddler at a church pig roast I was playing at with a Contemporary Christian band at the time, c. 1990 and the latter, more recently, by a band mate playing horn

who stepped back from the mic and got his foot caught in the guitar strap (we were playing in tight quarters). Fortunately, both were repaired by good guitar luthiers and you couldn't even tell (thank God).

Thanks everybody for the quick responses!

I've been predominately an LP player, so my experiences with SG's is limited...

BTW, has there ever been a solid explanation for some early to mid '60's SG's having that super narrow nut width..? Over the years, there's been more than one occasion where a fellow player brought one to the studio/stage that was just unbelievably narrow at the nut-- was this an intentional design choice? Come to think of it..an acquaintance picked up a used Angus model SG, and it blew me away at how narrow it was-- any thoughts? or was this just coincidental with a bunch over the years?

I'm very thankful and appreciative for all of your insights! I've been on the UMGF for years, but just recently discovered these forums..now I need to do some catching up! thanks again!

-scott

SG, and Double cutaway LP's, even ES-335/45/55 will all have a bit more "play" in

the neck, than a Les Paul single cut, or any of the other Gibson single cutaway

models. But, you'd really have to TRY to wobble them, much more than just regular

playing. Some, in fact, USE that characteristic, for mild vibrato, or other "special

effects." I was recently re-watching a "Pretenders, Loose In L.A." DVD, where

(then lead guitarist) Adam Seymour used that very mild characteristic, to great effect! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

SG.jpg

Ahhhh...that brings back fond memories as well as nightmare. I leaned mine against my Bandmaster. Some jerk walks on stage and tripped on the guitar chord, knocked it off the stage and the body by the neck split...wahhh! Nobody repaired guitars back then...had to buy a used black LP in '67 for the next gig!

Archived