• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

490R & 498T

#21 User is offline   hwm 

• Group: Members

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:33 PM

While i am not the most experienced player, I know what sounds good to me. Out of all the guitars I have, Fender Strat MIM, Epiphone SG (modified), older ~'80's Samick something HSS (heavily modified), and stock '92 Gibson LP Studio, the Gibson has the best tone qualities. Big deep lows, clear highs, and superb power from the 498/490 combo. Just don't keep the neck tone or volume all the way up. Thought about putting them in Epiphone SG, but didn't. Left the neck alone, Seymour Duncan TB14 Custom 5 in the bridge. But still might try it later. So bobf_, if you still have that set of pickups, send an email, we'll talk.

#22 User is online   bobf_Meritage 

• Advanced Member

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:39 PM

View Posthwm, on 17 February 2014 - 02:33 PM, said:

While i am not the most experienced player, I know what sounds good to me. Out of all the guitars I have, Fender Strat MIM, Epiphone SG (modified), older ~'80's Samick something HSS (heavily modified), and stock '92 Gibson LP Studio, the Gibson has the best tone qualities. Big deep lows, clear highs, and superb power from the 498/490 combo. Just don't keep the neck tone or volume all the way up. Thought about putting them in Epiphone SG, but didn't. Left the neck alone, Seymour Duncan TB14 Custom 5 in the bridge. But still might try it later. So bobf_, if you still have that set of pickups, send an email, we'll talk.

I sent you a PM ...
'99 Historic '57 Les Paul Custom Black Beauty - '14 LP Studio Pro - PRS SE ZM - Peavey AT200 - Yamaha A3M - Peavey Milestone Bass
Blackstar HT5RH - Bugera V22 - THR10 - Boss GT-001

"
Words are the result of thought. Otherwise, we're speaking before we think."

"Too young to die, too old for Apple's iBullshzt"

#23 User is offline   fusion01k 

• Advanced Member

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:14 PM

View Postdrakone, on 29 October 2013 - 01:28 AM, said:

I love dual 490 combo in my SG and I don't want to change them.
I've played with a bunch of SDs. like sh4, 5, 6, 13 and 2 and 59 in neck - in LP. SDs are great but there is some qualities in 490s that fits my taste.
This is not the matter of gain and output in nowadays amps and boosts which can give you massive gain from quite low output pickup.
For me it's better to have lower output since it gives some clarity - but maybe it's just my years.
Played an LP with 498 in the bridge and it was too compressed .

You had a SH-13 or Dimebucker in the NECK? Really? That's a huge switch from the other pickups you list. Did you not know it was a super output pickup designed for Diamond Darrell from Pantera?

#24 User is offline   Todeshauch 

• Advanced Member

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:23 AM

It is true the 490/498 combo sounds great. But i played them now for over 6 months and from the beginning i wanted to try some others. Not that i disliked them but im new with guitars and like learn and experiment with new sounds. In my case they where installed in a LPJ 2013. I have to say that i did not like the black plastic covers they came with. Now i changed them with 57 Classic on the neck and Angus Young Signature on the bridge. I like it more that way, i say it again i am pretty new with that stuff but for my ears especialy the Angus Young sounds much better. I found the 498 to harsh, but again imo. Maybe it is because of the woods used to build this guitar. It has a mahagony body maple top and neck. I am realy happy with the tone i get from them. But i am not done yet in my search for the perfect tone, if you have some sugestions of what could sound even better tell me. The only thing that is important to me is that they are versatile. Im just starting to play and one thing i think its important, its to play as many musical styles as i can that way i will learn much more.

#25 User is offline   ErickC 

• Advanced Member

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:52 AM

I like the 490/498 combo so much that I dissected a (nonfunctional) pair and took DC resistance values per bobbin off a 4-conductor pair so I could rewind all of my nonfunctional/cheap humbuckers in the parts drawer into rough approximations.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users