Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Chet Atkins SST

larryp58

Finally got a chance to play one of these guitars. More electric than acoustic, but WOW! What a tone! The guitar was made for stage performances because you can turn up the volume without feedback rearing it's ugly head. A nice amplified tone. Wish I could find a nice cherry-burst SST for sale! I might just have to buy one! Here's one in action by Travis Tritt:

They aren't really that pricey either I wonder why?

I saw one of those earlier guitars long before I had heard of Chet!

A friend traded one for something else and I remember we were all standing around looking at it, and me! Well, I wanted it!

But being young, rock and blues oriented guitarists, when the guy plugged the Chet in to his 100 watt Marshall, well it sounded, to be kind......sh**********ttttt........

Really, those guitars were the early, early acoustic electric forerunners! Not many acoustics with pickups then.

BluesKing777.

(I should have started learning Chet licks then! I may have had a hope.....)

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi guys! :)

Newbi here!

Can you please tell me something about this Chet Atkins guitar? I would like to sell it, so i need to know is value..

Can someone help please?

Guitar: Gibson Chett Attckins - Custom Shop Edition - H 044 - Made in USA

Cheers

Ivo Conceição

ivoconceicao@yahoo.com

1186249_832155410133015_7264568207307298068_n.jpg?oh=e0f56e0a215a24fbfd63aa9a855ab10f&oe=536AE631&__gda__=1399527521_bd13356383fb53225e8ab1ec86bd7d87

• 5 months later...

Gonna have to title this one: 'My Chet Disconnect'…

But first, let me say I love the '98 Chet SST; truly a rare bird; all White, Custom Shop SST, that I'm fortunate to play at all my acoustic gigs. Whether solo or with a full band, I could not be happier with it. However…[yes, there is a current 'however'].

Here's the deal: I had a string break during at my birthday show a few weeks back, yet finished the tune after pulling the string free—"The show must go on" and all of that. Well, in the process of changing it out during the break, I lost grip on the bridge side of the barb and it slipped beneath the bridge. No biggie, really, just unscrewed the backing plate and fished it out…and here's the 'however': I accidentally let the rear cover slip out of my hand and it pulled the battery leads from the preamp board. First time for everything. So, I removed it, carefully, and managed (somehow) to reconnect it well enough to finish the show.

Thought all was good—as no issues reoccurred—that is, until my next show (a showcase event where I only had to fill about 50 minutes vs 3 hrs) when I plugged in and…nothing. I thought it was a dead battery. Replaced it. More nothing. Was caught without a backup as "Nothing ever goes wrong with my Chet," but was fortunate enough to be able to borrow one from one of the other featured players and filled my 50.

Got home. Took everything apart—caaarefully—and noted the wires had come undone once again as it appeared I hadn't attached them as they were originally. And this is my dilemma: namely, there is nothing I've been able to locate online or elsewhere on how these are connected. They're not soldered on, but go through a tiny plastic clip sort of connector that looks more like an avionics or network connector than anything I've ever encountered on any guitar I've ever played.

So…HEEELP!!!

Am at a standstill as I don't know anyplace locally I would trust with this and need to get it back into my starting lineup as soon as possible.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?…[my thanks in advance for any assistance possible].

P.S. Hate to have my first-ever post to this newly granted access be an SST-MAYDAY, but…oh well ;)

post-68097-065768800 1413601368_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys! :) Newbi here! Can you please tell me something about this Chet Atkins guitar? I would like to sell it, so i need to know is value..

There is no link. If it's natural finished probably 1800 - 2500. If it's black or white it may be harder to sell. Photos would help. Year of manufacture can also make a difference at times.

Archived