Gibson Brands Forums

Headphone amps,amp modelers, computer?

KSG_Standard

Do any of you folks ever play through headphone amps, or computer software or other electronic doo dads, when you have to play in stealth mode? I use a Tascam GT1-MkIII when I travel, the effects suck but you can jam along with CDs with it and it's relatively cheep (in many ways) and I have an old Boss GT3, most of it's effects are not great, but it offers lots of tweakability and sounds pretty decent through the phones. I know that there are lots of newer, better products out there. Any thoughts?

I've used a Johnson J Station,(like a pod only better)a Beringer4 channel mixer hooked up to my computer and a cd player.They don't make the J Station any more but you can still find them on ebay.My wife never hears me play electric,only acoustic and she enjoys that.

I use a Korg Toneworks AX5B into my Eden Nemesis N8 (which has a headphone jack). The AX5B has several amps it will model, as well as many different base "tones". I tend to dial in a nice fat base tone, then use the D3 amp setting, and adjust the output to control the gain.

I also use Bose headphones. They don't color the sound much, like some headphones do.

My son and I got two headphone amps for a road trip last summer. One was the Vox AC30 headphone amp, and the other was the Marshall (MS2, I think about $40). They are both good. If you truly just want something to plug into the guitar and listen with only headphones, the Vox AC30 version is very good. Some have characterized it as not having distorted tones, but that is not true. I found that you can get a very nice range of clean-to-distorted sound with it. The Marshall is good as well, but when used with the speaker just doesn't sound very good. But it doesn't sound bad either, just not like a true full-size amp. Both are good values for the money. If I had to pick just one, I'd pick the Vox. It's so tiny it fits in the guitar case with a set of ear buds.

I use Behringer's V-amp that I connect through a cheap mixer to my computer so I can record, off course the quality isn't great but it's miles better than the old casette-porta studios my brother and I fiddled with years ago.

I'm guessing they improved the v-amp's by now, but the old one I have does have some decent sounds but is in no way a replacement for a nice real amp. The thing I don't really like is the fact that it doesn't really behave like a good tube amp that you set to a good overdriven sound and then fiddle about with the volume control on the guitar to get different sounds.

Archived