Gibson Brands Forums

Bobby Blue Bland has left the stage,

jaxson50

The man called The Sinatra of the Blues was 83 years old. He had a voice like none other, take some time today, and honor him by checking out his work on YouTube, you will be the better for it.RIP Mr. Bland, Gods Peace...

One of my all-time favorites. I discovered him in the 1960s. Our bass player turned me on to the LPs "Here's The Man" and "Two Steps From The Blues" - I wore them out, and have them in CD format now. In fact, I have about 100 Bobby Bland tunes on my iPod.

His version "Stormy Monday Blues" and "Jelly, Jelly, Jelly" are perhaps the best ever recorded.

Thanks Bobby for all the wonderful music you have given me. I know the music in heaven will be better tonight.

A great, great vocalist - they do not make 'em like that any more, haven't for years.

He also did a song called "Turn on Your Lovelight" which the Grateful Dead covered, and years later "Ain't No Love In The Heart Of The City" was the very strong opening track of the 'Dreamer' album, which Whitesnake covered. All his greatest early stuff was on Duke records, some brilliant tracks. For a long time he had the guitarist Mel Brown with him.

R.I.P.

IMO he and Brownie McGhee had the best voices in blues.. But Bobby Blue Bland was pure silk. Interesting trivia, he learned to sing in church, singing in the choir, the pastors name was C.L. Franklin. The good pastor had a daughter name Aretha, ever hear of her?

IMO he and Brownie McGhee had the best voices in blues.. But Bobby Blue Bland was pure silk. Interesting trivia, he learned to sing in church, singing in the choir, the pastors name was C.L. Franklin. The good pastor had a daughter name Aretha, ever hear of her?

I always liked Albert King's (rich baritone) voice, too. [thumbup]

CB

Archived