Gibson Brands Forums

Going Back To 12" Drivers.

MrNylon

I'm going back to a 2X12 cab, where I started out 44 years ago. I ordered a Gallien-Krueger 212MBE-ll cab today. It's a 4 ohm, 600 Watts, with 2X12" Neodymium drivers. It weighs in at 39 pounds. Another good thing about it, it matches up with my TC Electronic RH450 head. My current Ampeg SVT-410HLF cab, weighs in at 85 pounds. It seems that 12" drivers are coming back. kvelPOF.gif

aaYUa3T.jpg

I'm going back to a 2X12 cab, where I started out 44 years ago. I ordered a Gallien-Krueger 212MBE-ll cab today. It's a 4 ohm, 600 Watts, with 2X12" Neodymium drivers. It weighs in at 39 pounds. Another good thing about it, it matches up with my TC Electronic RH450 head. My current Ampeg SVT-410HLF cab, weighs in at 85 pounds. It seems that 12" drivers are coming back. kvelPOF.gif

aaYUa3T.jpg

I've been playing a 212 cabinet for the last 15 years. First one was an Eden 212XLT and the past 10+ years it's been an Aguilar GS212. When we started gigging heavy and I needed to hump my own gear I had to have something that was a manageable weight and could handle some power while moving enough air to make it count. This was before all the benefits of Neo speakers came into play. At this time a typical 410 cabinet was north of 100 lbs. I am very happy with a single 212 - it handles everything I need, including outdoor shows. The Aggy isn't Neo but it's still something I can handle at 70lbs.

I just bought a Baer ML112, 12" Neo driver with a 6" midrange and it is just an amazing piece of engineering. At 31 lbs it sounds like it should be twice as big. At some point in future I will get another. What a box!

This was my e-mail reply I received back from Gallien-Krueger, when I inquired about the material the cab is constructed of.

"Hello Glenn, It is constructed of plywood. ;-)"

Yeahhhhhhhh!!!!!!! A real cab. Sorry, I got excited! [rolleyes]Yeahhhhhhhh!!!!!!! Yeahhhhhhhh!!!!!!! Yeahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

aaYUa3T.jpg

Nobody uses particle board for bass or guitar speakers anymore for a variety of reasons. It's not road worthy and it's heavy as hell. Plus is doesn't hold screws or fasteners effectively. Everybody worth their salt uses plywood, usually Marine grade void free birch.

Nobody uses particle board for bass or guitar speakers anymore for a variety of reasons. It's not road worthy and it's heavy as hell. Plus is doesn't hold screws or fasteners effectively. Everybody worth their salt uses plywood, usually Marine grade void free birch.

They may not use particle board, but they use Medium-density fibreboard, which is just as bad. Marshall MB Series, Acoustic, Kustom, most of the Fender Rumble series combos.

They may not use particle board, but they use Medium-density fibreboard, which is just as bad. Marshall MB Series, Acoustic, Kustom, most of the Fender Rumble series combos.

Yes, you're right, but these are typically low budget items. If you're serious about your gear you'll get good material.

Yes, you're right, but these are typically low budget items. If you're serious about your gear you'll get good material.

Of course. But there are a possible good number of players that don't know what materials are used in what. Marshall MB series are not to shabby, but the Medium-density fibreboard kills that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I did go to the 12" speakers. A Markbass Mini CMD 121P Combo, with a Markbass NY 121 cab. 300 Watts @ 8 ohms, and 500 watts @ 4 ohms. The cab is 28 pounds, the combo is 29 pounds. This set up sounds like a 2x12 1969 Bassman rig, with an attitude. Easier to move around than the Bassman.

Imvq81f.jpg

Archived